2021 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, July 02 - 04

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
politburo
politburo

Re: 2021 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, July 02 - 04

grubschumi13 wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:33
Max is simply the best. Outstanding drive. He makes that car seem better than it is.
It is the best car in the hands of the fastest driver, it was almost a formality. Verstappen is at the level of Vettel in 2013, and Hamilton in 2020, his pace is relentless at the front.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

Sevach
Sevach

Big Tea wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 12:32
Sevach wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 11:43
I wonder what will be Norris behaviour in this race, last time he (under some prodding from the team no doubt) decided to suddenly allow Perez and Bottas through, so what is he gonna do this time?
Its about points not prestige. I'm sure he would love to be seen fighting off top names and looking good, but I think (especially for his age) he is mature enough to balance points in his pocket against looking good.
If he was seat hunting, yes I think he would have to make a show of it, but he is secure in the team he wants to be in, so its results at the end of the year he needs. (it would be nice to see though :mrgreen: )
It seem we got both, he raced Perez, raced Hamilton, only lost to Bottas because of the penalty, still finished with a great result.

Penalty may have been harsh but at least they were consistent.
Last edited by Sevach on 04 Jul 2021, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

ringo

grubschumi13 wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:33
Max is simply the best. Outstanding drive. He makes that car seem better than it is.
:lol: :lol:

Even a diehard Lewis fan would never say this 2 years ago. At best they would say good drivers get good cars and must beat their teammate.
For Sure!!

Stormblessed
Stormblessed

PDR is in cloud 9 :P

Big Tea

Sevach wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:42
Big Tea wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 12:32
Sevach wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 11:43
I wonder what will be Norris behaviour in this race, last time he (under some prodding from the team no doubt) decided to suddenly allow Perez and Bottas through, so what is he gonna do this time?
Its about points not prestige. I'm sure he would love to be seen fighting off top names and looking good, but I think (especially for his age) he is mature enough to balance points in his pocket against looking good.
If he was seat hunting, yes I think he would have to make a show of it, but he is secure in the team he wants to be in, so its results at the end of the year he needs. (it would be nice to see though :mrgreen: )
It seem we got both, he raced Perez, raced Hamilton, only lost to Bottas because of the penalty, still finished with a great result.
Thats how much I know :oops: GO Lando
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Zynerji

Awesome race!

@Toto

Please send both Lewis and Valteri home with listed parts deals, and bring in Lando and George. You now need not only to finish in front of RBR, you need to apply pressure from 3rd and 4th placed WCC competitors.

Let's go!

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

214270 wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:35
Excessive penalties at Turn 4 a legacy of the excessive penalty for HAM against ALB.
It's not excessive imo. We all want to see overtaking. If someone is on the outside and alongside or slightly ahead they are entitled to be given room. I am actually happy that they were very consistent in not allowing that today. These guys must learn the difference between clean racing and dirty racing.
Last edited by Hammerfist on 04 Jul 2021, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.

InsaneX_Badger

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:38
Just one DNF and it can all turn around. Let’s see Silverstone before judging what May or may not happen
Can't agree more, if Merc finally bring a update and nothing changes. Then the championships are done unless there is some serious 2018 German GP luck on Merc side

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

This "1 DNF" excuse needs to die. Max has HAD 1 DNF already, and he's an entire race win margin ahead. Swap that around and the championship would be a complete walkover at this point.

Face facts. Hamilton+Mercedes << Verstappen+RedBull, at least at the moment.

The gap isn't 'small' either. Its 2-3 tenths on a very short, unsophisticated track. Mercedes would have to bring a massive upgrade to get back to parity with Verstappen, let alone ahead.

It's Verstappen's championship to lose now.

JordanMugen

dans79 wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 14:54
It seems some of Max fans, are now learning what Hamilton fans have felt for a long time.
It sure is up to Hamilton and Mercedes to do a better job, isn't it! :)

Great job by Verstappen, RBR, Honda, Norris and McLaren! =D>

I wonder how long this RBR winning streak can continue for? Mercedes or Mclaren or Ferrari (at street circuits) will surely be back, the notion of the RB16B - RA621H replicating 11 wins in a row of the MP4/4 - RA168E is surely implausible? :?:
Last edited by JordanMugen on 04 Jul 2021, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.

F1NAC

Just one thing. Those Perez penalties where --- joke... they should immediately request him to gave position to Leclerc.

ringo

I think Mclaren was 2nd best car today.
Lando was in for P2 without that penalty and Ricciardo did very well to finish P6.
Lewis demonstrated some of that intimidation on track as he usually does. Didnt have the faster car than Lando but unsettled him. Nice little hunt that was. But anyhow that damage did him in. I suspect debris as i didnt see any broken pieces under the car.

Ferrari looking very good this race. The car can follow well.

Quiet race from Alpha Tauri. They had potential to get more today.

Redbull... dominant as can be. Like the 2010 to 2013 days. Even on old tyres Max banging out fastest laps at will. No management needed. No concern for a challenging teammate. Chamionship is his to lose.
If he ever lets Lewis becom 8 time WCD.. it would say a lot. But so far his confidence is very high and i dont see him dropping the ball.

Mercedes cannot close this gap. It even looks like they have fallen behind Mclaren. The upgrades may just keep them ahead of Norris.

Lewis is going to need a lot of rain for the second half. And he needs to get within 2 tenths of Max to get inside his head like he did Lando's today. 4 tenths on a small track like this is huge gap.
For Sure!!

politburo
politburo

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:38
Just one DNF and it can all turn around. Let’s see Silverstone before judging what May or may not happen
I am just a pessimist, and the circumstances are tougher to navigate than previous years were the was atleast one driver ahead of both their drivers. But perhaps you are right, Silverstone in 10 days it is yet to reveal itself fully.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Fulcrum wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:47
This "1 DNF" excuse needs to die. Max has HAD 1 DNF already, and he's an entire race win margin ahead. Swap that around and the championship would be a complete walkover at this point.

Face facts. Hamilton+Mercedes << Verstappen+RedBull, at least at the moment.

The gap isn't 'small' either. Its 2-3 tenths on a very short, unsophisticated track. Mercedes would have to bring a massive upgrade to get back to parity with Verstappen, let alone ahead.

It's Verstappen's championship to lose now.
Yep. I think you could already see the resignation today, they even let Bottas get ahead of Hamilton. They know they can't compete with Redbull this year. I think it will be clear to everyone at silverstone. The gap will be even bigger over there, there is not one thing the Merc can do better than the Redbull. They are faster in a straight line and in all types of corners. Merc decided to shift focus to 2022, a year where there is no guarantee that they will be able to dominate, so they will endure the pain for making that decision.
Last edited by Hammerfist on 04 Jul 2021, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.

Unf

Max is outstanding. And he has only 0.2 - 0.3s faster car than Mercedes, not 0.5+ like it was on past seasons from opposite side...

Perez - such a dumb move on Norris, it was impossible to do in that way. RBR should still look for good driver next to Max... (Bottas?!).

If we are talking about poor Bottas - again treated like wingman, waiting for orders ;/

Leclerc has cosmic overtaking skills, hope better car for him on 2022.

And at the end - Raikkonen... it's time for him. Definitely.