2021 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, July 02 - 04

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2021 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, July 02 - 04

Hammerfist wrote:
214270 wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:35
Excessive penalties at Turn 4 a legacy of the excessive penalty for HAM against ALB.
It's not excessive imo. We all want to see overtaking. If someone is on the outside and alongside or slightly ahead they are entitled to be given room. I am actually happy that they were very consistent in not allowing that today. These guys must learn the difference between clean racing and dirty racing.
I agree with racing clean… But, no one can say that Lando’s move was dirty… That was Perez trying to make a move that wasn’t going to stick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

notsofast
notsofast

godlameroso wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 14:46
This is the most METAL national anthem ever! THANK YOU Red Bull!
"That was very interesting music, Marty."
"I guess you guys aren't ready for that yet. But your kids are gonna love it!"

JordanMugen

ringo wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:52
Quiet race from Alpha Tauri. They had potential to get more today.
It was comical how Tsunoda (and Perez) received two penalties for the same infringement. :lol:

JordanMugen

notsofast wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:54
godlameroso wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 14:46
This is the most METAL national anthem ever! THANK YOU Red Bull!
"That was very interesting music, Marty."
"I guess you guys aren't ready for that yet. But your kids are gonna love it!"
It's ironic to being saying that about a musical style and equipment from 35 to 70 years ago (electric guitar & bass guitar with overdriven tube amplifier & physical drumkit), which has now (sadly) largely gone out of fashion!
Last edited by JordanMugen on 04 Jul 2021, 16:59, edited 3 times in total.

Hammerfist wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:45
214270 wrote:
Excessive penalties at Turn 4 a legacy of the excessive penalty for HAM against ALB.
It's not excessive imo. We all want to see overtaking. If someone is on the outside and alongside or slightly ahead they are entitled to be given room. I am actually happy that they were very consistent in not allowing that today. These guys must learn the difference between clean racing and dirty racing.
They should be given room only if they establish presence into the corner. If you’re not ahead before turning in then you shouldn’t be protected on exit. That’s how it used to be before the FIA lost the plot, and know no one knows what constitutes a penalty. Stupid stewarding
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

mkay
mkay

Fulcrum wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:47
The gap isn't 'small' either. Its 2-3 tenths on a very short, unsophisticated track. Mercedes would have to bring a massive upgrade to get back to parity with Verstappen, let alone ahead.
Today, the gap was much closer to 5 tenths/lap than 2-3. Max could have easily gone another 5-10 laps on his mediums, but pitted due to traffic ahead. It was a very, very comfortable afternoon.

Ryar

JordanMugen wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:50
dans79 wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 14:54
It seems some of Max fans, are now learning what Hamilton fans have felt for a long time.
It sure is up to Hamilton and Mercedes to do a better job, isn't it! :)

Great job by Verstappen, RBR, Honda, Norris and McLaren! =D>

I wonder how long this RBR winning streak can continue for? Mercedes or Mclaren or Ferrari (at street circuits) will surely be back, the notion of the RB16B - RA621H replicating 11 wins in a row of the MP4/4 - RA168E is surely implausible? :?:
I wonder what is the point of paying 30-40 million dollars to any driver, if those missing 2 tenths of car were not brought to the table by that driver. If it is acceptable to have so many errors in a competitive season, minus those extra few tenths, then why not another young talent with far lesser money can drive the same car? For sure, someone like Norris and Russel can easily be ahead of Bottas by considerable margin, who is the lower denominator to refer to.
Hakuna Matata!

notsofast
notsofast

Perhaps it would help with consistency (and make it easier for the public to understand) if they were to draw a line across the track just before each corner. If the inside car is ahead at the line, then the inside car is entitled to the racing line. Otherwise it is not and must leave space.

El Scorchio

f1316 wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:33
f1316 wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:28
Ridiculous coverage not paying any attention to the 10 sec gap between Perez and Sainz.
It’s also ludicrous that Perez gets to finish ahead of Leclerc. The rule is that you keep a car’s width when a car is alongside and he broke that rule twice in order to stop someone passing him. So, regardless of what anyone thinks about whether that should be the rule or not, it is the rule and our takeaway here is you’re better off breaking it.
That’s sadly the case with a lot of penalties in F1. A lot of the time it’s beneficial to take a penalty to hold or gain an advantage. There needs to be a much better deterrent.

Why would you not do an unsafe release for a 5s penalty if doing it gives you a net gain?

Also reminds me of Bahrain where Verstappen said with some sound reasoning that he should have not given the place back to Hamilton and just tried to build a 5s gap. Can’t blame that way of thinking in the slightest.

The penalty system is not fit for purpose sometimes.

JordanMugen

Ryar wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:57
I wonder what is the point of paying 30-40 million dollars to any driver, if those missing 2 tenths of car were not brought to the table by that driver. If it is acceptable to have so many errors in a competitive season, minus those extra few tenths, then why not another young talent with far lesser money can drive the same car? For sure, someone like Norris and Russel can easily be ahead of Bottas by considerable margin, who is the lower denominator to refer to.
Lots of teams have tried this over the years. Jaguar with Webber and Pizzonia, Toro Rosso with many of their driver lineups.

It usually doesn't work that great in reality to have 2 x cheap rookie drivers (or just 2 x cheap drivers) for a variety of reasons -- the rookie drivers are usually very inconsistent, and if a driver proves to be at least upper midfield level they will soon demand a $10m+ USD salary (like say Hulkenberg).

HAAS had two drivers which were perhaps more lower midfield level on $1-3m salaries, Magnussen and Grosjean, and that never worked particularly well for them.

Unf

El Scorchio wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:58
Why would you not do an unsafe release for a 5s penalty if doing it gives you a net gain?
This.

It was clearly visible on Perez vs. Norris incident - Perez lost 20 seconds on it, whereas Norris get 5s penalty. So it was still +15 for Norris as the guy who was guilty o_O

Then, Perez vs. Leclerc - the same.

Ryar

JordanMugen wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 17:02
Ryar wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:57
JordanMugen wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:50

It sure is up to Hamilton and Mercedes to do a better job, isn't it! :)

Great job by Verstappen, RBR, Honda, Norris and McLaren! =D>

I wonder how long this RBR winning streak can continue for? Mercedes or Mclaren or Ferrari (at street circuits) will surely be back, the notion of the RB16B - RA621H replicating 11 wins in a row of the MP4/4 - RA168E is surely implausible? :?:
I wonder what is the point of paying 30-40 million dollars to any driver
Lots of teams have tried this over the years. Jaguar with Webber and Pizzonia, Toro Rosso with many of their driver lineups.

It usually doesn't work that great in reality to have 2 x cheap rookie drivers (or just 2 x cheap drivers) for a variety of reasons -- the rookie drivers are usually very inconsistent, and if a driver proves to be at least upper midfield level they will soon demand a $10m+ USD salary (like say Hulkenberg).

HAAS had two drivers which were perhaps more lower midfield level on $1-3m salaries, Magnussen and Grosjean, and that never worked particularly well for them.
On the other hand, look at Senna, Prost, Michael, Fernando, Lewis, Vettel, Ricciardo (at Red Bull), Max and Leclerc and now Norris. They all came young and they have all done the job.
Hakuna Matata!

grubschumi13
grubschumi13

Did Lewis make a mistake that damaged his floor?

notsofast wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:58
Perhaps it would help with consistency (and make it easier for the public to understand) if they were to draw a line across the track just before each corner. If the inside car is ahead at the line, then the inside car is entitled to the racing line. Otherwise it is not and must leave space.
Great idea 👍
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Sevach
Sevach

SmallSoldier wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:54
Hammerfist wrote:
214270 wrote:
I agree with racing clean… But, no one can say that Lando’s move was dirty… That was Perez trying to make a move that wasn’t going to stick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The way to decide if it is gonna stick or not is give the room and then win the run to the next turn.
I hope they start being consistent with that going forward, this thing is such a big deal because sometimes they allow it, sometimes they don't.