2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
zibby43
zibby43

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 21:39

The downforce they do produce clearly does get generated very efficiently but they cannot match the Merc or the RB which is why the race pace on heavier fuel loads suffers so badly. On the front limited corners they easily lose a tenth or two in one corner alone
Well said.

zibby43
zibby43

On a side note, Bottas is starting to sound like he knows his time is probably done now at Mercedes. Anyone else get that vibe?

Morteza

zibby43 wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 22:28
On a side note, Bottas is starting to sound like he knows his time is probably done now at Mercedes. Anyone else get that vibe?
Yup, I feel the same.
So it's gonna be Hamilton-Russell for 2022? Already sounds exciting
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Sieper

zibby43 wrote:
100%. And already some time. Look, there have been so many signs.

I saw Toto on sky saying he asked Valterri if he was OK with them announcing Lewis for two years this weekend already. Toto then said that Valterri said “don’t &&&€# care”. So if Toto feels the need to reveal that… Just another of those signs that make me agree with your feeling entirely.
Last edited by Sieper on 03 Jul 2021, 22:48, edited 1 time in total.

Sieper

Morteza wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 22:30
zibby43 wrote:
Yup, I feel the same.
Yes, I think so. And Hamilton then also knows this so that is a credit to him Taking up the gauntlet. Russell is very very good Imho. Hamilton is excellent, maybe Russell is too, but that we don’t really know yet.

zibby43
zibby43

Morteza wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 22:30
zibby43 wrote:
Yup, I feel the same.
Very exciting! I feel for Bottas, but he’s had every opportunity and had a heck of a good career for himself at Merc.

zibby43
zibby43

Sieper wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 22:45
zibby43 wrote:
100%. And already some time. Look, there have been so many signs.

I saw Toto on sky saying he asked Valterri if he was OK with them announcing Lewis for two years this weekend already. Toto then said that Valterri said “don’t &&&€# care”. So if Toto feels the need to reveal that… Just another of those signs that make me agree with your feeling entirely.
Haha wow I had missed that. Thanks for sharing!

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

mkay wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 16:46
zibby43 wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 16:33
Under normal circumstances, the maximum tomorrow is 3rd and 4th.

Both titles are done now. The car is a dog. The floor changes killed it. There’s no disputing it and no amount of gaslighting can change it.

Merc was beaten resoundingly by a customer team (high rake).
McLaren isn't even that 'high' rake. It's just a very slippery car which obviously works well here. I'm flabbergasted Merc didn't even try running a lower downforce wing this weekend, given the softer tyres. They lost so much time in S1 to Norris (with tow or without).

Glad to see you're finally seeing what I've been seeing for a while now.
I think Merc explained that in their last race debrief. The wing setting that they are running now is the optimal wing setting. What is going on now is that Redbull has a car that has more basic downforce than the Merc, so it can afford to run less wing and be competitive in the corners. If Merc runs a lower downforce wing they will pick up some speed in the straights, but not enough to compensate for what they will lose in cornering speed. Hopefully we can finally put that idea to bed.

atanatizante

atanatizante wrote:
03 Jul 2021, 14:59
zibby43 wrote:
02 Jul 2021, 21:27

Yeah, if he’s saying the sim setup didn’t work in FP1, then that’s a correlation issue. And it helps explain why Merc have been nowhere so many times to start the weekend, and why they go backwards sometimes between FP2 and FP3.

If they get that sorted, that could be a huge boon for them on top of the next race’s upgrade.
I read on another forum that aero upgrades will be the bare minimum. The upgrades will gonna be mostly mechanically in order to have more setup car balance options just to give them a wider tyre operation window aka sweet spot.

Furthermore, it says that that flow-viz running is for testing the aero changes due to higher the rake of the car ... in fact, they are trying this coz they don`t need to have those kinda rake level RB is running in order to achieve the same volume, due to having a longer wheelbase hence maybe the aero disturbance could be manageable ...
Seems that those rumours are pretty true as Paul di Resta said on Sky in Q1 that he asked Toto about the flow-viz had they wanna see some flow separation due to the higher rake they tested ... he further said that Toto was just smiling at him after the question and not replied ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

mkay
mkay

A complete and utter drubbing. Merc effectively half a second slower per lap. Worse than what the race sims on Friday suggested.

rickybobbyf1
rickybobbyf1

mkay wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:47
A complete and utter drubbing. Merc effectively half a second slower per lap. Worse than what the race sims on Friday suggested.
Completely embarrassing form. They just have no answer to anything. Practically no development. The tokens quote about being clearly evident was probably a joke too.

El Scorchio

mkay wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:47
Yup. And probably a comfortable RBR 1-2 were it not for the Perez Norris incident.

That was a Mercedes-esque at their mightiest manner and margin of victory for RBR.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Yeah this thing is over, unless they'll surprise with the upcoming update, but it's clear to see that the others are catching Merc. Redbull extending their gap and Mclaren closing the gap even in race pace as well. I just foresee a long summer. Silverstone might not be pretty.

El Scorchio

Hammerfist wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 17:38
Yeah this thing is over, unless they'll surprise with the upcoming update, but it's clear to see that the others are catching Merc. Redbull extending their gap and Mclaren closing the gap even in race pace as well. I just foresee a long summer. Silverstone might not be pretty.
Very true. The lack of upgrades are not only seeing RBR zoom off into the distance but other teams starting to catch and get ahead.

They have certainly put all their eggs in the 2022 basket so they’d better hope it pays off.

As for Silverstone it may not be good for Merc or Hamilton but a result like today for Norris will have the home crowd off their seats and cheering!

Dee
Dee

On Sky, Toto said they hope to come back and win SIlverstone by a 30 second margin, after watching that RB performance

Are they bringing an entire overhawl upgrade to the car or what to the British GP?

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... tone_blow/
Last edited by Dee on 04 Jul 2021, 18:19, edited 1 time in total.