2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Emag
Emag

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Ferrari is at 122 at the moment. The difference is 19 points.

Might not seem like a lot, but McLaren was 2 points behind before France, so a nice little turnaround. Let's hope they can keep this up on Silverstone.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Was Silverstone among the races they had planned to bring upgrades?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:Was Silverstone among the races they had planned to bring upgrades?
Small upgrades at every race until Hungary

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herr_Koos

All drivers cleared in the post race investigation apart from Latifi and Mazepin.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

mwillems

the EDGE wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 18:52
Big Tea wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 18:32
A really good result, especially as Lando had a 5 sec penalty, very pleased, BUT, if perez had passed, and he was going to very soon, how would it have played out? Would Lando have caught him and Bottas?
I personally do not think so. It was roundabouts and swings today, and it ended up in his favour so it does not matter.

A nice boost for driver and team for the upcoming events still on the upward curve so looking good
That is of course true, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th… all possibilities today

But the takeaway is we were closer to the lead today than the last 9 years

That’s the big deal… not the end result

proof the team is working well & understanding how to find performance both on the track & back in Woking
Exactly. We were much quicker today.

The setup worked much better and Lando was on fire.

I'm looking forward to the British GP. I think that the car with its new floor might continue to be fast and the team will be on fire for a good result.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

Has the new floor improved the race pace do we think?
If you considered the updates brought to the Red Bull ring events.... it’s a large upgrade really
Just a fan's point of view

Emag
Emag

If you discount the pace benefits from the softer compounds, they found around 0.6s per lap on race pace from last week to this one. Going 0.1s or 0.2s quicker per lap would honestly still be considered a decent leap considering the short track. But 0.6s? It's a massive improvement.

I would have never expected them to keep up with the Mercedes today, just purely based on last week. We don't really know what was the biggest contributor to this huge pace difference, but I hope the team does. Sure, the floor must have helped, but still, I can't stress this enough, 0.6s per lap around such a short track is massive. There must have been other factors involved.

mwillems

Emag wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 23:30
If you discount the pace benefits from the softer compounds, they found around 0.6s per lap on race pace from last week to this one. Going 0.1s or 0.2s quicker per lap would honestly still be considered a decent leap considering the short track. But 0.6s? It's a massive improvement.

I would have never expected them to keep up with the Mercedes today, just purely based on last week. We don't really know what was the biggest contributor to this huge pace difference, but I hope the team does. Sure, the floor must have helped, but still, I can't stress this enough, 0.6s per lap around such a short track is massive. There must have been other factors involved.
The team said they learnt a lot about the car after last weekend and were implementing it this weekend. Basically the setup optimisations all converged a bit. I think I said this yesterday or on Friday, but it was being suggested last week that we were quick to get into an optimal setup. I wonder if the opposite was true?

We have Lando who (with all due respect) still has learning to do and Danny Ric who doesn't get the car, so I guess that is a possibility.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Lando was not in a position to fight last week. It's possible he had some pace in the bag, either running conservative engine modes (remember you can only run engine hard for so many hours per engine) or playing it safe on tyres. Today was a different day, Norris was in the fight from the beginning and after the pitstops was very close to the Mercedes with a massive gap behind, no need to play it safe as you can always pit if you destroy your tyres.

Today allowed McLaren to test their pace against Mercedes without risking midfield battle.

Hopefully the upgrades were bigger than they want to admit and we can carry over some of this pace forward.

mwillems

Wouter wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 22:27
The car being "slightly better" is the reason they performed so well... Well that's not slightly better is it lol

-Bandit

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

I think it is. Last race as soon as he let the two cars go it was into tyre preservation mode and more than likely well down on power too. Maybe 1/3rd improvement of pace due setup and updates (0.2s) and 0.4 a lap to actually push as they had no fear on tyre deg anymore (cooler temps and experience) and likely high engine modes to catch HAM/BOT.

Hard to say, still decent step forward was made. No doubt about it. It won’t be an insane amount per lap though. No way
Last edited by 101FlyingDutchman on 05 Jul 2021, 00:07, edited 1 time in total.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:If you discount the pace benefits from the softer compounds, they found around 0.6s per lap on race pace from last week to this one. Going 0.1s or 0.2s quicker per lap would honestly still be considered a decent leap considering the short track. But 0.6s? It's a massive improvement.

The upgrades seemed to work, but I believe that the cooler temperatures had more impact on the race pace..: The tires weren’t overheating and therefore they could push a bit more… Let’s also keep in mind that compared to previous race, the softer compounds would be like using Soft - Medium last weekend instead of Soft - Hards… The fact that even with an stronger pace the C4 tires (Mediums today) lasted longer than last week seems to indicate that temperature had a big effect.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

101FlyingDutchman wrote:I think it is. Last race as soon as he let the two cars go it was into tyre preservation mode and more than likely well down on power too. Maybe 1/3rd improvement of pace due setup and updates (0.2s) and 0.4 a lap to actually push as they had no fear on tyre deg anymore (cooler temps and experience) and likely high engine modes to catch HAM/BOT.

Hard to say, still decent step forward was made. No doubt about it. It won’t be an insane amount per lap though. No way
Lower ambient temps may have also allowed to run the engine a bit harder

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

SmallSoldier wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 00:07
101FlyingDutchman wrote:I think it is. Last race as soon as he let the two cars go it was into tyre preservation mode and more than likely well down on power too. Maybe 1/3rd improvement of pace due setup and updates (0.2s) and 0.4 a lap to actually push as they had no fear on tyre deg anymore (cooler temps and experience) and likely high engine modes to catch HAM/BOT.

Lower ambient temps may have also allowed to run the engine a bit harder

Agreed. You can see though that the pace on higher fuel loads has a higher delta to the leaders then on low fuel. As the race went on Lando just closed the lap delta right down to match Bottas. We are still more front limited then the leading pack