2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Xero

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

We'll need to wait until Silverstone to confirm if the floor has brought some performance, but its certainly allowed them some scope on setup for better balance.

Seen a few comments about these carrying across to next season, but I don't think there's much that can carry over. The rule changes are too great, it's the biggest reset we've seen in decades.

MrGapes

Super grateful McLaren we’re able to lock Lando down, I reckon this far into the season with his new performances they would of had teams knocking on the door

BMMR61

It’s been thrashed here but it’s a big worry that Perez’s trip to the gravel should be judged as Norris pushing him off. It could have ramifications for defensive driving which go against everything seen in F1 for 70+ years. Apparently Derek Warwick was one of the judges and with his racing experience should’ve known that Perez put himself in the spot he found himself. The leading driver drove a normal line and Perez didn’t have the pass done and had plenty of time to back out of it. Backing out in this position happens all the time. Verstappen didn’t get penalised for moving Leclerc aside in 2019 and he even opened the steering. The stewards had to apply the heavy hand twice more in order to be consistent on the day. The consistency doesn’t exist measured across history.

billamend
billamend

I also remember Leclerc sending Lewis into the gravel at Monza/Spa/? in 2019 and not getting a penalty

djos

the EDGE wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:36
Awesome drive fro RIC, as for Lando…. words can’t describe it…. 🥳
Quality drives from both today!

Daniel would have grabbed a similar result last week if it weren’t for the power loss issue. Just goes to show Daniel hasn’t forgotten how to drive, he just needs to work on his qualifying pace.

It’s a shame Lando for penalised for Perez being an idiot, the stewards really cocked up that call! Was also a shame Daniel couldn’t stay within 10 seconds of Perez as he’d have bagged 6th.
Last edited by djos on 05 Jul 2021, 07:33, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

MrGapes

Still pissed about the penalty yesterday... But overall great race from both drivers.... on pace with Mercedes is a testament to how far this team has come!

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Fun fact… With the Austria podium, Lando has equaled Alonso’s record of consecutive point finishes at McLaren with 14!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mwillems

BMMR61 wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 02:26
It’s been thrashed here but it’s a big worry that Perez’s trip to the gravel should be judged as Norris pushing him off. It could have ramifications for defensive driving which go against everything seen in F1 for 70+ years. Apparently Derek Warwick was one of the judges and with his racing experience should’ve known that Perez put himself in the spot he found himself. The leading driver drove a normal line and Perez didn’t have the pass done and had plenty of time to back out of it. Backing out in this position happens all the time. Verstappen didn’t get penalised for moving Leclerc aside in 2019 and he even opened the steering. The stewards had to apply the heavy hand twice more in order to be consistent on the day. The consistency doesn’t exist measured across history.
Agreed.

I think the stewards didn't know how to adapt to these situations where there is gravel and not run off.

This should have been considered before the race and clearly communicated to the drivers.

I'm not sure if it was, but it seems not.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

SmallSoldier wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 07:40
Fun fact… With the Austria podium, Lando has equaled Alonso’s record of consecutive point finishes at McLaren with 14!

Yep, awesome achievement! Also, interestingly, Lando’s finishing positions.

2020 Styrian GP - 5th
2021 Styrian GP - 5th

2020 Austrian GP - 3rd
2021 Austrian GP - 3rd
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

mclaren111

Darth-Piekus wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 18:09
mwillems wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 17:01
SmallSoldier wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:59

That’s just mean… Lol

lol I wasn't going to go too far, I just hadn't replied/baited in a while!

But to be fair, his response to me was measured and reigned back in, so kudos to DarthPiekus really! :D =D>
Let's just say that I have a good feeling for next year. Zak Brown has built a fantastic team with Andreas Seidl who created dominating teams in other series and James Key who many claim him to be the new Andrian Newey. Next year the new rules will force everyone to start from scratch and have the same budget. Mclaren this year managed to find loopholes after so many years and make an innovation noone expected so I am confident that they will find something next year to gain an early advantage.

And Peter Prod & his Aero Team are on fire again... :D :D

runningmanz
runningmanz

djos wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 04:33
the EDGE wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:36
Awesome drive fro RIC, as for Lando…. words can’t describe it…. 🥳
Quality drives from both today!

Daniel would have grabbed a similar result last week if it weren’t for the power loss issue. Just goes to show Daniel hasn’t forgotten how to drive, he just needs to work on his qualifying pace.

It’s a shame Lando for penalised for Perez being an idiot, the stewards really cocked up that call! Was also a shame Daniel couldn’t stay within 10 seconds of Perez as he’d have bagged 6th.
Yep great result from the team today. Lando was incredible and Dan made a great recovery drive from 13th. Unlucky to get passed by Sainz who was on much better tyres. Was great how he kept Leclerc behind like that. The McLaren top speed is mighty! Dan's lap 1 was fantastic too especially his pass up the inside on the Williams and Ferrari into T6. Would love to find the onboard replay of his lap 1.

Hope Dan gets stuck into the sim again and can start nailing qualli because his last 3 races have actually been quite good. Can't wait for the 2 races at Silverstone coming up!

Lucky
Lucky

BMMR61

McLaren drivers were in the thick of the action and almost dominated the TV coverage, a far cry from the last few seasons when Carlos got zip. If it wasn’t Lando and Perez it was back to Daniel in the DRS train then Lando and the Mercedes drivers then back to Daniel defending against the Ferrari drivers. Our boys did real well and there wasn’t any luck in the result. Indeed with an ounce of luck it would have been 2nd and 5th. It’s a great time to be a McLaren fan!

Macklaren
Macklaren

MrGapes wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 02:23
Super grateful McLaren we’re able to lock Lando down, I reckon this far into the season with his new performances they would of had teams knocking on the door
Agreed though Lewis's wonderful comment that "Lando is such a good driver" during the race got me wondering if Lewis will make sure Mercedes lines Lando up as his replacement in 2024

godlameroso

McLaren has unlocked some pace from their car, it was almost as fast as the Mercedes was last week in all conditions. McLaren has taken a step forward, and the developments are coming until Hungary, so another month worth of updates. I'm on the edge of my seat to see where they end up, and other teams aren't standing still, so exciting times ahead.
Saishū kōnā