2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
michl420
michl420

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

1. I have no idea from where this race pace come.
2. Some here have to understand that the stewards give penaltys, not Micheal Masi.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Macklaren wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 16:13
MrGapes wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 02:23
Super grateful McLaren we’re able to lock Lando down, I reckon this far into the season with his new performances they would of had teams knocking on the door
Agreed though Lewis's wonderful comment that "Lando is such a good driver" during the race got me wondering if Lewis will make sure Mercedes lines Lando up as his replacement in 2024
There’s no don’t there will be interest, but I very much doubt Lewis will have any say… unless he become a part owner that is

Still, when McLaren take the double in 2023 I doubt Lando will want to go anywhere 😂

littlebigcat
littlebigcat

runningmanz wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 12:33
Hope Dan gets stuck into the sim again and can start nailing qualli because his last 3 races have actually been quite good. Can't wait for the 2 races at Silverstone coming up!
From his post race interview on Sky it sounds like the opposite.

PhillipM
PhillipM

michl420 wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 18:46
2. Some here have to understand that the stewards give penaltys, not Micheal Masi.
From being able to do Q2 on the medium. It's a stupid rule that hurts anyone in the top 10's race pace if they can't go through on the mediums.

M840TR
M840TR

PhillipM wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 20:46
michl420 wrote:
From being able to do Q2 on the medium. It's a stupid rule that hurts anyone in the top 10's race pace if they can't go through on the mediums.
Yeah just look at Gasly.

mwillems

michl420 wrote:
hahaha

Yes I said this last time too, everybody hates Masi around here, but even if the dislike is warranted, I don't get why that means you can put fault on him when it is clearly not his fault!

He just refers to the stewards and the stewards decide independent of him, and of course, when someone goes off the track like that he has an obligation to let the stewards have a look.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

PhillipM wrote:
michl420 wrote:
I don't think that is the sole reason of the pace difference. We had the pace in Qualy too, the pace is the reason why we could take the yellow tyre in Q2. But it does compound the benefit by giving us a better tyre strategy with a car that is already noticeably faster.

Lando put it down to Car improvements as half of it, with the rest going to setup and temperatures. I think there was something else, but I can't recall.

-Bandit

PhillipM
PhillipM

mwillems wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 22:10
I don't think that is the sole reason of the pace difference. We had the pace in Qualy too, the pace is the reason why we could take the yellow tyre in Q2. But it does compound the benefit by giving us a better tyre strategy with a car that is already noticeably faster.

Lando put it down to Car improvements as half of it, with the rest going to setup and temperatures. I think there was something else, but I can't recall.
[/quote]

yeah, but the car didn't need much more extra pace to be able to go through comfortably on the mediums. But once you hit that, it brings 20+ seconds to your race pace if you can get in clear air.

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 22:04
michl420 wrote:
hahaha

Yes I said this last time too, everybody hates Masi around here, but even if the dislike is warranted, I don't get why that means you can put fault on him when it is clearly not his fault!

He just refers to the stewards and the stewards decide independent of him, and of course, when someone goes off the track like that he has an obligation to let the stewards have a look.
Does he ultimately issue the penalties though- once the stewards have deliberated?
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

CjC wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 22:53
mwillems wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 22:04
michl420 wrote:
hahaha

Does he ultimately issue the penalties though- once the stewards have deliberated?
If I recall, when Masi talked about the penalty given to Lando for not coming into the pits in... Baku??.... and speeding up under red flags, he stated that it was the stewards who determined he was guilty, and the stewards who chose to issue a penalty that was much lower than the rulebook states, so I think not. I wouldn't say my knowledge on the matter is concrete, but I'm fairly certain he's getting a hard time in here, more for personal dislike than real facts.

-Bandit

McL-H
McL-H

Can we just stop complimenting Ricciardo on P6? He had a car that was able to compete for the podium places. It could have been a double podium yesterday if we’d had 2 Lando’s. Instead, we had Ricciardo who was fighting a slower Ferrari and lost. Again a weekend at which he did not maximise. He must up his game. And if it is true that Norris does not want to share his setup with Ricciardo, Seidl should slam his fists on the table and tell the kid he has nothing to want. I like the bloke. But we need to pursue the best team results. Personal glory is inferior to that. Lando is not bigger than the team. Regardless of his performances.

I wonder how the team are trying to help Ricciardo. Have or haven’t they given him Lando’s setup? Is he making extra hours in the simulator? Have they checked his chassis? Have they tried different brakes for him? This is the guy that (just like Sainz) defeated Max in qualifying over a season. No way he forgot how to drive a car. The more it bothers me why he is performing so awful…

mwillems

PhillipM wrote:
mwillems wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 22:10
PhillipM wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 22:26

yeah, but the car didn't need much more extra pace to be able to go through comfortably on the mediums. But once you hit that, it brings 20+ seconds to your race pace if you can get in clear air.
2 tenths closer to the front in Qualifying is like strapping a rocket.

I see what your saying though, for races where the one stop is the optimal strategy those at the back end of Q3 can lose out.

Whilst you're there Mr P, have you heard what they have in the pipeline for Silverstone and Hungary, just little bits and bobs or anything more substantial?

-Bandit

PhillipM
PhillipM

To be honest I haven't really talked to anyone for a while, 's why I haven't put anything in here, I might see if I can find out for silverstone though, there's always something in the works there.

mwillems

McL-H wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 23:25
Can we just stop complimenting Ricciardo on P6? He had a car that was able to compete for the podium places. It could have been a double podium yesterday if we’d had 2 Lando’s. Instead, we had Ricciardo who was fighting a slower Ferrari and lost. Again a weekend at which he did not maximise. He must up his game. And if it is true that Norris does not want to share his setup with Ricciardo, Seidl should slam his fists on the table and tell the kid he has nothing to want. I like the bloke. But we need to pursue the best team results. Personal glory is inferior to that. Lando is not bigger than the team. Regardless of his performances.

I wonder how the team are trying to help Ricciardo. Have or haven’t they given him Lando’s setup? Is he making extra hours in the simulator? Have they checked his chassis? Have they tried different brakes for him? This is the guy that (just like Sainz) defeated Max in qualifying over a season. No way he forgot how to drive a car. The more it bothers me why he is performing so awful…
Absolutely nobody did that.

He finished P7 :D

-Bandit

djos

13th to 7th is an excellent drive! There was Zero luck involved, it was Daniel racing hard and maximising every opportunity.
"In downforce we trust"