2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
sp8472
sp8472

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Lucky wrote:Image
This is really interesting data. Lando’s consistency is fantastic. A combination of a great driver and clear air. Daniel’s average, only 0.666 slower than Lando is also amazing considering the whole race Daniel was either attacking or defending. Lando definitely had a far clearer racetrack most of the time and was able to choose his lines. You could see with Daniel (particularly into corner 3 and 4)he had to more often than not take a defensive line as he was in the lead of the DRS train. Corners 3 and 4 have a huge impact on lap time. His race pace looks to be good. Just need to nail those qualifying runs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the EDGE
the EDGE

mwillems wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 22:10
I don't think that is the sole reason of the pace difference. We had the pace in Qualy too, the pace is the reason why we could take the yellow tyre in Q2. But it does compound the benefit by giving us a better tyre strategy with a car that is already noticeably faster.

Lando put it down to Car improvements as half of it, with the rest going to setup and temperatures. I think there was something else, but I can't recall.
Lando being a great driver…?

Nivedanm
Nivedanm

He doesn't make himself endearing to anyone. "Even a six year old would know to dive into the pits during a red flag", when Mclaren appealed against the Baku penalty points. "Then I would have to penalise everyone", he said harshly when Mclaren asked him to review Tsunoda not reducing speed enough when Max crashed and red flag was waved. Teams do appeal against decisions and ask them to review things; that's how F1 works. There is a polite way to turn them down if he wanted to. But every time he sounds like a vengeful autocrat when someone appeals against their decision/ask him to look into something. Personally, I don't feel sorry for him.
mwillems wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 23:11
CjC wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 22:53
mwillems wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 22:04

hahaha

Yes I said this last time too, everybody hates Masi around here, but even if the dislike is warranted, I don't get why that means you can put fault on him when it is clearly not his fault!

He just refers to the stewards and the stewards decide independent of him, and of course, when someone goes off the track like that he has an obligation to let the stewards have a look.
Does he ultimately issue the penalties though- once the stewards have deliberated?
If I recall, when Masi talked about the penalty given to Lando for not coming into the pits in... Baku??.... and speeding up under red flags, he stated that it was the stewards who determined he was guilty, and the stewards who chose to issue a penalty that was much lower than the rulebook states, so I think not. I wouldn't say my knowledge on the matter is concrete, but I'm fairly certain he's getting a hard time in here, more for personal dislike than real facts.

mwillems

Nivedanm wrote:
06 Jul 2021, 08:27
He doesn't make himself endearing to anyone. "Even a six year old would know to dive into the pits during a red flag", when Mclaren appealed against the Baku penalty points. "Then I would have to penalise everyone", he said harshly when Mclaren asked him to review Tsunoda not reducing speed enough when Max crashed and red flag was waved. Teams do appeal against decisions and ask them to review things; that's how F1 works. There is a polite way to turn them down if he wanted to. But every time he sounds like a vengeful autocrat when someone appeals against their decision/ask him to look into something. Personally, I don't feel sorry for him.
mwillems wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 23:11
CjC wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 22:53

Does he ultimately issue the penalties though- once the stewards have deliberated?
If I recall, when Masi talked about the penalty given to Lando for not coming into the pits in... Baku??.... and speeding up under red flags, he stated that it was the stewards who determined he was guilty, and the stewards who chose to issue a penalty that was much lower than the rulebook states, so I think not. I wouldn't say my knowledge on the matter is concrete, but I'm fairly certain he's getting a hard time in here, more for personal dislike than real facts.
But that's my point, you don't like him. That doesn't make him responsible for the stewards, or wrong in his decisions.

Even a six year old... was the headline, not what he said and when I posted that article I did say that. He said that the red flag rules were the same from 6 yesrs ond it was intentional so there is no confusion at all through the classes. His comment was because he was being asked by journalists about Landos grumbling.

Lando broke the rules twice and got off lightly, then still complained so in my view Masi is right, Lando should have kept quiet. You do not accelerate down the straight under a red flag, or anywhere and Banchi is a reason why that is so obvious.

If I had to respond to Lando in that moment I would be measured, but clear and not messing with my words as Masi, probably I'd be blunter.

I never looked at the Tsunoda thing but I'm sure he will get things wrong, but as you have stated, you don't like his attitude. But that has nothing to do about being right or wrong.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

MrGapes

Really interested to see how the teams will or if bother evaluating rear wings in Silverstone due to the short practice, I know the team came with a spooned wing for last year, I wonder if they think the car can produce more efficient downforce to pop that low downforce wing on this year.

Although I do feel we will be disadvantaged this upcoming race, as the car tends be worse on the harder compound
Last edited by MrGapes on 06 Jul 2021, 10:43, edited 1 time in total.

Mclarensenna

djos wrote:
06 Jul 2021, 01:33
13th to 7th is an excellent drive! There was Zero luck involved, it was Daniel racing hard and maximising every opportunity.
Ric saturday was poor most agree. But the sunday performance was extremely good especially the defending. Perez looked so much faster and would have easily passed Norris if he was more patient and did not get rammed off the track going for an overly ambitious move.

But then Then Perez fell to right behind Ric and somehow never even came close to making a similar move the entire 1st stint. I was quite surprised Ric held him off the entire 1st stint so easily. 2nd stint redbull just looked so much quicker and that is when Ric got passed eventually.
Not to mention the defense against Leclerc was also very good. Only Sainz pitting late and absolutely flying and would have got the fastest lap easy if not for max pitting for the fastest lap. Sainz was the second fastest car out there in the final laps with the fresher tyres.
If Norris had started so far back (which yes Rics qualifying was terrible) and was on the exact same strategy i am pretty sure would not have finished any higher than Ric did. So bashing Ric for his saturday makes sense, bashing him for his sunday makes no sense.
Ayrton Senna: Pure driving, pure racing, that´s what makes me happy.

Seerix
Seerix

It's great Lando was able to keep his starting position and he was pushed by Mercs into doing fast laps.
I imagine if he started 5th, the team would have given him much slower target laptime (just to stay ahead of midfield) and we would never know that it was possible to keep up with the Mercs.

BMMR61

Yes for over a year I’ve suspected that conservative delta times have focussed on beating the midfield rather than chance the arm to see how quick times could be sustained. Of course there’s sense to this approach as part of the equation in this no mans land is turning down the engine for reliability. It’s going to get very interesting as our pace gets closer to intersecting with the front runners. Allowing for Mercedes underperforming at Austria we are now less than half a second off their pace. Silverstone they will be tougher unless the floor updates were a bigger step than everyone thinks. Lewis commented on how fast the McLaren was so it does seem they made a good step in both qualifying and race pace. Given how we have underperformed at every track in qualifying until now it’s further evidence for tangible progress by way of upgrade and/or setup.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

I get the impression racing the Mercs and Checo was mainly decision, I think he had made his up his mind to go for it. It was quite telling when he was given Gasly’s lap time and he said something like “I don’t care”. I guess that’s when the team knew it was on.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

CjC
CjC

BMMR61 wrote:
06 Jul 2021, 14:07
Yes for over a year I’ve suspected that conservative delta times have focussed on beating the midfield rather than chance the arm to see how quick times could be sustained. Of course there’s sense to this approach as part of the equation in this no mans land is turning down the engine for reliability. It’s going to get very interesting as our pace gets closer to intersecting with the front runners. Allowing for Mercedes underperforming at Austria we are now less than half a second off their pace. Silverstone they will be tougher unless the floor updates were a bigger step than everyone thinks. Lewis commented on how fast the McLaren was so it does seem they made a good step in both qualifying and race pace. Given how we have underperformed at every track in qualifying until now it’s further evidence for tangible progress by way of upgrade and/or setup.
Merc are bringing an upgrade to Silverstone so I’d imagine they’ll ease away from the Midfield again
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

Are we midfield?

I prefer "Chasing pack" :D
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

billamend
billamend

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

billamend wrote:
Great video! Thanks for sharing

Interesting how Lando brakes later than Verstappen on most corners, he also takes turn 9 better than everyone else on Saturday.

The top speed of the MCL35M is also impressive

Below we can find the speed trace comparison between Norris, Verstappen and Hamilton

And in the following we can look at Brake application for the 3 of them:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

f1rules
f1rules

i dont know if its been posted, but in addition to the great charts and video above

MrGapes

correct me if I'm wrong oddly last year I thought the Renault was very good in the slow speed, this year I've haven't seen that pattern very much...also bit surprising to be third fastest in slow speed but arguably if Ferrari and Alpine were in Q3 that data would be different