2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

billamend wrote:
07 Jul 2021, 03:13
That's an amazing video!
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

El Scorchio

Seconded. That's a fantastic video! Incredible what can be done these days to make comparisons. Really hope more of those get produced.

MrGapes

Just saw the announcement of the new Ferrari simulator… does anyone know when they expect the new McLaren gen 3 simulator to be functional?

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

MrGapes wrote:
07 Jul 2021, 13:45
Just saw the announcement of the new Ferrari simulator… does anyone know when they expect the new McLaren gen 3 simulator to be functional?
The initial plan was for 2020, as per below article, obviously that didn’t happen. I recall seeing or hearing reports that everything was effectively pushed a year forward, butI haven’t heard it confirmed for 2021. Hopefully it’ll make its debut no later than 2022, if not this year.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/mclar ... 4/4984914/
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

the EDGE
the EDGE

mwillems

Unboxed

McLaren Unboxed | Make it a Double | #AustrianGP:

-Bandit

M840TR
M840TR

RIC: Mclaren peaks at corner entry; I'm used to cars peaking at exit.

https://youtu.be/J7hi3JZ1xL4?t=2968

mwillems

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:The "Slow Burner" Lando Norris

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/the-s ... 8hh32lmuNw
Seems like it’s an interesting article… But it’s behind a paywall :(

Any interesting bits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucky
Lucky

Lando vs Ric

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
08 Jul 2021, 20:34
mwillems wrote:The "Slow Burner" Lando Norris

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/the-s ... 8hh32lmuNw
Seems like it’s an interesting article… But it’s behind a paywall :(

Any interesting bits?

Suggesting that he may be a slow burner, but not lacking seriousness about F1. Until recently he was having a crisis of confidence, by his own admission and that he was entering each grand prix plagued with self doubt until this year.

Now he is focussing on himself and being more dedicated.

Slow-corner performance was a limiting factor early on, a consequence of running a slightly longer wheelbase than the likes of Ferrari, Red Bull and AlphaTauri. As with the long-wheelbase Mercedes, the MCL35M is naturally a little more reluctant to rotate towards the apex of such corners.

Confident that it can take the fight for third in the championship to Ferrari, McLaren has ploughed resources into addressing these shortcomings through a series of updates in Portugal, Spain and Monaco, centring around a new front wing and revised floor."

It suggests that trail braking sensitivity is the issue with these cars and the Norris has a handle on that whereas Ricciardo doesn't.

Seidl states that Norris is “an integral part of our recovery plan”

Regarding the self doubt he has suffered over the past two seasons, it is what I was referring to last year when I said you could see he is not his own man yet and that in terms of mental strength he is not there, that by addressing that he would unlock his real potential. He wasn't a joker because he was a cad or not taking it seriously enough, it was nervous energy and self doubt and the joker was a character to hide behind. And my remarks over the course of the previous season were never meant to undermine him or to detract from him, but it seemed fairly obvious that he wasn't yet driving from his own balls, if you'll forgive that expression! :D

-Bandit

MrGapes

https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... _term=link

Mighty impressive by Lando and the Team. Testament to both the team and Lando for their reliability and faultless season so far

runningmanz
runningmanz

billamend wrote:
07 Jul 2021, 03:13
Thanks for that! Amazing comparison between the two!

runningmanz
runningmanz

Interesting article. Looks like not too much they can adjust for Dan in the brakes this season given his very limited input to this years car but next year they are thinking it could be alot different. He will have to adapt as best he can which we have seen at tracks like Spain and France he can manage even not being that comfortable. So all is not lost for him this season but next year hopefully its all systems go from race 1 for him in the new car.

"Unfortunately, for the remainder of 2021, any braking system improvements for Ricciardo may well only be minor or short term fixes as he was for the opportunity for his input and requirements to be more broadly implemented into the 2022 McLaren design.

It might be a long and painful wait, but I expect that 2022 will be a much better season for Daniel Ricciardo."

https://www.grandprix247.com/2021/07/09 ... os-brakes/

Mclarensenna

runningmanz wrote:
10 Jul 2021, 05:03
Interesting article. Looks like not too much they can adjust for Dan in the brakes this season given his very limited input to this years car but next year they are thinking it could be alot different. He will have to adapt as best he can which we have seen at tracks like Spain and France he can manage even not being that comfortable. So all is not lost for him this season but next year hopefully its all systems go from race 1 for him in the new car.

"Unfortunately, for the remainder of 2021, any braking system improvements for Ricciardo may well only be minor or short term fixes as he was for the opportunity for his input and requirements to be more broadly implemented into the 2022 McLaren design.

It might be a long and painful wait, but I expect that 2022 will be a much better season for Daniel Ricciardo."

https://www.grandprix247.com/2021/07/09 ... os-brakes/
to also quote

"In 2019 Ricciardo suffered from similar difficulties at Renault to what he is experiencing in 2021, and the R.S.19 was a design with which he had no initial fundamental design input into.

Conversely, in 2020 Ricciardo’s performance improved notably as the R.S.20 was designed with the inclusion of his input and feedback, and the resultant improvement in braking characteristics were noted on several occasions."

Ric beat Hulk in his first year something Sainz was unable to do but he was all over the place and made more mistakes in 2019 than any year prior. Ric had no confidence in that car he gave no input on.
yet 2020 he made zero mistakes and was by most accounts driver of the year after his input was implemented in the 2020 renault design.

Ric beat Lando and Sainz in points in an inferior Renault in 2020. People should not under estimate this achievement..
Ric 2019 was a 6 out of 10 at best as he did beat Hulk
Ric 2020 was a 9 out of 10 overall as so fast and consistant every race with no mistakes
Night and day comparing input to zero input

I think the same will happen next year with Ric
It will also be night and day differences
But sad reality is Ric will struggle all year it seems even more so than his first year at Renault as for him especially the brakes are even worse than the Renaults were in 2019 so we should see Ric make an even bigger jump in 2022 than his previous Renault jump in his 2nd year once 2022 mclaren rolls around with his input

Ric should come out of the box very very strong in 2022 as i fully agree with almost everything this article explained!
Ayrton Senna: Pure driving, pure racing, that´s what makes me happy.