2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

MtthsMlw wrote:Must be a young drivers dream to drive a car like this
Young, old… Pro, amateur… If you are a “driver”, driving that car has to be a dream :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouter

MtthsMlw wrote:
11 Jul 2021, 13:01
Must be a young drivers dream to drive a car like this
It sure is!
The Power of Dreams!

djos

SmallSoldier wrote:
11 Jul 2021, 18:09
Young, old… Pro, amateur… If you are a “driver”, driving that car has to be a dream :)

Dam straight!
"In downforce we trust"

mclaren111

djos wrote:
11 Jul 2021, 23:51
SmallSoldier wrote:
11 Jul 2021, 18:09

Dam straight!

Double Damn Straight... :D :D

ScottR267
ScottR267

https://the-race.com/formula-1/video-th ... -f1-split/

Is well documented of course, however in case of any interest to anyone.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Reading the news today, found out that if Lando were to have a ban of 1 race because of the points in his super license… Stoffel would be the one replacing him.

Which makes me wonder if Stoffel suffered in a similar to Daniel while in Mclaren with a car that was maybe hard to drive on the limit? Yes, it didn’t helped his case that the MCL33 was a pretty bad car, but his performance against Alonso was for many subpar to say the least.

He was lacking experience been new to F1, but if someone like Daniel can struggle with a car’s characteristics, why wouldn’t a rookie like Stoffel?

I would hate for Lando to miss a race, but if that were to happen, I would be for Vandoorne to make it back… Unluckily for him, he would do it in a car that seems to once again, be very hard to drive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Macklaren
Macklaren

I'm no ALO worshipper like some on here but I do think he's one of the most naturally gifted drivers of all time (shame about his other flaws). in other words, I don't think what happened in 2018 was a reflection of Stoff's driving abilities

Macklaren
Macklaren

In any case, with 2 points rolling off after Silverstone, Lando will be in the car for at least 3 more races. Hopefully that will be enough to put us well clear of Ferrari in P3 and one race of Stoff bringing it home in the points will not be a major loss

Darth-Piekus

ScottR267 wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 14:19

Personally I always blamed Max Mosley and their Ferrari International Assistance for the whole Spygate and Liegate. For Max Mosley it was an opportunity to do damage to Ron Dennis as they were at each other's throats from the moment Mosley became the FIA President and it was all a set up. A lot of Ferrari's championships on the 2000s were pushed by him while there were decisions and rules that would usually damage Mclaren Mercedes performance and of course Ferrari gaining an unfair advantage of money compared to the competition. In the end the team paid a heavy price on money and losing Mercedes having spent 8 years to be able to reunite and be back on the top 3. Makes me wonder what would have happened if Mclaren and Mercedes were not split up. Would they have been able to get 7 Consequtive championships?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Darth-Piekus wrote:
ScottR267 wrote:

Personally I always blamed Max Mosley and their Ferrari International Assistance for the whole Spygate and Liegate. For Max Mosley it was an opportunity to do damage to Ron Dennis as they were at each other's throats from the moment Mosley became the FIA President and it was all a set up. A lot of Ferrari's championships on the 2000s were pushed by him while there were decisions and rules that would usually damage Mclaren Mercedes performance and of course Ferrari gaining an unfair advantage of money compared to the competition. In the end the team paid a heavy price on money and losing Mercedes having spent 8 years to be able to reunite and be back on the top 3. Makes me wonder what would have happened if Mclaren and Mercedes were not split up. Would they have been able to get 7 Consequtive championships?
Impossible to know… But, if the expenditure would have the same (Mercedes approx 500 million per year and McLaren approx 200 million per year)… Then, it is safe to say that most probably McLaren would have been behind Mercedes

Darth-Piekus

Would they have split though? That is the question. If things didn't go that way they might have not split.

mwillems

Darth-Piekus wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 18:02
ScottR267 wrote:

Norbert Haug stated that Mclaren went into discussion with Mercedes about buying more shares, but that the terms weren't great and then the Brawn opportunity appeared, and this presented Mercedes with a new path.

“We would have loved to continue[with Mclaren], but Mercedes wanted to do a further step – a works team. In these days, people probably don’t remember but it was very common that you had an engine partnership.

“It was Williams-BMW, it was McLaren-Mercedes. Then Honda entered this works team, then it was Brawn GP.

“We had a good opportunity because Ross and Nick Fry knew they could not go on their own for years and years, so they looked for a partner and then we could make it happen.”

Did the Mclaren issues push this somewhat? Possibly, but Merecedes still would have enjoyed working with Mclaren with a higher ownership stake but unsurprisingly it didn't pan through.

You could easily put an argument together that suggests that Merc just hit a fork an in the road and that fork was always coming along. Brawn GP offered an amazing opportunity for Merc, to take a fast car with a Merc engine already fitted and some of the most talented people in the paddock like Ross Brawn.

To be quite honest, it was a gift horse and the team was cheap and when that opportunity arose, even if Merc weren't actively looking to become a works team, they would have found it hard to ignore that opportunity.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mercedes- ... over-2010/
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Big Tea

mwillems wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 18:57
Darth-Piekus wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 18:02
ScottR267 wrote:

Norbert Haug stated that Mclaren went into discussion with Mercedes about buying more shares, but that the terms weren't great and then the Brawn opportunity appeared, and this presented Mercedes with a new path.

“We would have loved to continue[with Mclaren], but Mercedes wanted to do a further step – a works team. In these days, people probably don’t remember but it was very common that you had an engine partnership.

“It was Williams-BMW, it was McLaren-Mercedes. Then Honda entered this works team, then it was Brawn GP.

“We had a good opportunity because Ross and Nick Fry knew they could not go on their own for years and years, so they looked for a partner and then we could make it happen.”

Did the Mclaren issues push this somewhat? Possibly, but Merecedes still would have enjoyed working with Mclaren with a higher ownership stake but unsurprisingly it didn't pan through.

You could easily put an argument together that suggests that Merc just hit a fork an in the road and that fork was always coming along. Brawn GP offered an amazing opportunity for Merc, to take a fast car with a Merc engine already fitted and some of the most talented people in the paddock like Ross Brawn.

To be quite honest, it was a gift horse and the team was cheap and when that opportunity arose, even if Merc weren't actively looking to become a works team, they would have found it hard to ignore that opportunity.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mercedes- ... over-2010/
I'm sure one of the thoughts in Mercedes mind at the time was along the lines of- If we don't buy Brawn, who will?
They would not want a newcomer with a running start to spoil their party.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/15574674 ... uro-final/

"After the game, motor racing ace Lando was ambushed by yobs as he got into his £165,000 McLaren GT supercar. He was then grabbed by one while another tore off his prototype Richard Mille watch.

An eyewitness told The Sun: “Lando was held and another ­robber pulled off his watch in a split second. Lando looked pretty shaken up. Security had been a nightmare all night.”

He had earlier posted a photo of himself at the game for his 3.4million online followers. A spokesman for his McLaren team said he was “understandably shaken”."