2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
djos

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Marty_Y wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 23:39
Sounds like Lando got mugged.

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/inside-t ... t-wembley/
Bloody hell! There are some serious a-holes out there! 😡
"In downforce we trust"

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

djos wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 23:49
Marty_Y wrote:

Agreed, last night we should have been proud that we made it to the final and nearly won, instead we witnessed a load of idiots behaving appallingly and abusing players for missing penalties.

mwillems

Big Tea wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 23:38
mwillems wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 18:57
Darth-Piekus wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 18:02

Personally I always blamed Max Mosley and their Ferrari International Assistance for the whole Spygate and Liegate. For Max Mosley it was an opportunity to do damage to Ron Dennis as they were at each other's throats from the moment Mosley became the FIA President and it was all a set up. A lot of Ferrari's championships on the 2000s were pushed by him while there were decisions and rules that would usually damage Mclaren Mercedes performance and of course Ferrari gaining an unfair advantage of money compared to the competition. In the end the team paid a heavy price on money and losing Mercedes having spent 8 years to be able to reunite and be back on the top 3. Makes me wonder what would have happened if Mclaren and Mercedes were not split up. Would they have been able to get 7 Consequtive championships?
Norbert Haug stated that Mclaren went into discussion with Mercedes about buying more shares, but that the terms weren't great and then the Brawn opportunity appeared, and this presented Mercedes with a new path.

“We would have loved to continue[with Mclaren], but Mercedes wanted to do a further step – a works team. In these days, people probably don’t remember but it was very common that you had an engine partnership.

“It was Williams-BMW, it was McLaren-Mercedes. Then Honda entered this works team, then it was Brawn GP.

“We had a good opportunity because Ross and Nick Fry knew they could not go on their own for years and years, so they looked for a partner and then we could make it happen.”

Did the Mclaren issues push this somewhat? Possibly, but Merecedes still would have enjoyed working with Mclaren with a higher ownership stake but unsurprisingly it didn't pan through.

You could easily put an argument together that suggests that Merc just hit a fork an in the road and that fork was always coming along. Brawn GP offered an amazing opportunity for Merc, to take a fast car with a Merc engine already fitted and some of the most talented people in the paddock like Ross Brawn.

To be quite honest, it was a gift horse and the team was cheap and when that opportunity arose, even if Merc weren't actively looking to become a works team, they would have found it hard to ignore that opportunity.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mercedes- ... over-2010/
I'm sure one of the thoughts in Mercedes mind at the time was along the lines of- If we don't buy Brawn, who will?
They would not want a newcomer with a running start to spoil their party.
Yeah you are probably right on that.

I personally think that even if they got a decent deal with Mclaren, as soon as the Brawn option came up it was going to be very hard to beat.

Talking of new teams, it's a shame the current situation with the engines will pretty much stop any new entries (Certainly from Major manufacturers), even with the budget cap.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mclaren111

djos wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 23:49
Marty_Y wrote:

The World has gone Mad... :( :(

runningmanz
runningmanz

Marty_Y wrote:

Shocking. Hope Lando is ok. Lowlife scums. Hope they get caught and the karma train hits them at full speed.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Marty_Y wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 23:45
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/15574674 ... uro-final/

"After the game, motor racing ace Lando was ambushed by yobs as he got into his £165,000 McLaren GT supercar. He was then grabbed by one while another tore off his prototype Richard Mille watch.

An eyewitness told The Sun: “Lando was held and another ­robber pulled off his watch in a split second. Lando looked pretty shaken up. Security had been a nightmare all night.”

He had earlier posted a photo of himself at the game for his 3.4million online followers. A spokesman for his McLaren team said he was “understandably shaken”."
“The Sun” and “eyewitness” means it is entirely speculation- they just know as much as we know. Horrible newspaper.

Awful for Lando though- there are always a few idiots, it is just a shame that I’ve seen so much anti-English hatred on the back of a handful of uneducated, horrid creatures.

Hope the lad has a good home Grand Prix this weekend.

MrGapes

https://twitter.com/ChrisHewgill?ref_sr ... de%3Dtrue

Saw this, good to know the kid's his usual self

proteus

I might be a bit harsh, but this is the reality for many ordinary folks these days. I am truly happy i dont live in a city, or generally crowded area, even though being secluded is still not bulletproof in terms of safety. We have this modern world where "overly woke" people and companies are making an ideal oportunities for crooks to exploit and do their bad bidding, since tolerance for crimes and bad behaviour are getting bigger and bigger.

I hope he recovers from it as soon as possible.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

mwillems

proteus wrote:
13 Jul 2021, 14:11
I might be a bit harsh, but this is the reality for many ordinary folks these days. I am truly happy i dont live in a city, or generally crowded area, even though being secluded is still not bulletproof in terms of safety. We have this modern world where "overly woke" people and companies are making an ideal oportunities for crooks to exploit and do their bad bidding, since tolerance for crimes and bad behaviour are getting bigger and bigger.

I hope he recovers from it as soon as possible.
I've got to top up my benefits somehow so don't judge, thankyou very much.

It's terribly politically incorrect and I shall shame you on Facebook and Twitter.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

JRindt

I wonder if the sprint race format will benefit Mclaren as a team. For one, Ricciardo will have an extra opportunity to recover if he qualifies poorly again.

Also, Ferrari’s race pace is expected to be horrible due to its tyre issues on front limited circuits. Although, they did very well here last year

BMMR61

And speaking of front limited tracks I think we still have remnants of the front end issues or am I wrong? Maybe it was more in low speed corners the issue which was addressed in Spanish GP updates. Carlos was holding down 4th when his front left Pirelli died with 2 laps to go last year. Certainly the high speed slipperiness of the latest incarnation of 35M looks impressive so maybe Austrian result isn’t such an outlier as critics predict. Hungary on paper looks more of a challenge but Monza is our big hope, but I’m getting ahead of myself….

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

BMMR61 wrote:And speaking of front limited tracks I think we still have remnants of the front end issues or am I wrong? Maybe it was more in low speed corners the issue which was addressed in Spanish GP updates. Carlos was holding down 4th when his front left Pirelli died with 2 laps to go last year. Certainly the high speed slipperiness of the latest incarnation of 35M looks impressive so maybe Austrian result isn’t such an outlier as critics predict. Hungary on paper looks more of a challenge but Monza is our big hope, but I’m getting ahead of myself….
I’m afraid that this weekend the format will play a larger role than the cars inherent characteristics… With only FP1 to setup the car, whomever shows up with a better base setup will have the upper hand during the weekend… Which is a bit scary…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scorpia
Scorpia

SmallSoldier wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 13:14
BMMR61 wrote:And speaking of front limited tracks I think we still have remnants of the front end issues or am I wrong? Maybe it was more in low speed corners the issue which was addressed in Spanish GP updates. Carlos was holding down 4th when his front left Pirelli died with 2 laps to go last year. Certainly the high speed slipperiness of the latest incarnation of 35M looks impressive so maybe Austrian result isn’t such an outlier as critics predict. Hungary on paper looks more of a challenge but Monza is our big hope, but I’m getting ahead of myself….
I’m afraid that this weekend the format will play a larger role than the cars inherent characteristics… With only FP1 to setup the car, whomever shows up with a better base setup will have the upper hand during the weekend… Which is a bit scary…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven’t McLaren been pretty good (at least in the past) to be good right out of the box? Then in fp2/3 teams tend to catch up. I’m actually excited to see what this have to offer. A crash in the sprint can be crucial for the race itself.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Motorsport reporting that Aston Martin is about to announce more big technical names poached. Hope no one from McLaren. the team has finally found its footing

ScottR267
ScottR267

Macklaren wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 16:19
Motorsport reporting that Aston Martin is about to announce more big technical names poached. Hope no one from McLaren. the team has finally found its footing
Fingers crossed mate. Who at McLaren would they consider, Seidl is a non-starter! Key or Prodromou? Given McLaren’s fall back on the grid I’m not all that familiar with the big names within the team as may well have done as yesteryear or like with other teams.

However given the feel good atmosphere at McLaren which Zak and Andreas have implemented you’d like to think the staff are more likely to stay!