2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Dee
Dee

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Wouter wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 12:52
Dee wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 12:46
Wouter wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 11:34
A long German interview with Helmut Marko. A little translated quote from that:

https://www.motorsport-total.com/formel ... -geschuert

Question: "Mercedes has announced a final update for Silverstone. What will be the last part that will be screwed onto the RB16B when, if you stick to your current timetable?"
Marko: "We have our exact schedule. Only: Silverstone is special. Normally you have three practice sessions in order to set up the car optimally for qualifying and the race. At Silverstone we have a single practice session, then we go straight to qualifying."

In other words: Parc ferme regulations apply from that point onwards. That means that the set-up has to fit in this one hour, otherwise the whole weekend may be gone. That is why we will not change anything serious about the car at Silverstone, we will try to to optimally coordinate what we have. "

Question: "You elegantly avoided my question. It was: When are you planning the last update?"
Marko: "I don't want to be too specific. First of all, the updates have to work. Verstappen didn't drive the new front wing in the first race at the Red Bull Ring at the Styrian Grand Prix. He only used it in the second , along with the sub-floor. "

"Just for your information: This wing was removed by the FIA ​​in accordance with the existing flexibility regulations. So: In the course of development, it will become clear how the updates will continue.
But, as Christian Horner said, this can sometimes go up to the last race ."
"Verstappen didn't drive the new front wing in the first race at the Red Bull Ring at the Styrian Grand Prix. He only used it in the second , along with the sub-floor. " "Just for your information: This wing was removed by the FIA ​​in accordance with the existing flexibility regulations. So: In the course of development, it will become clear how the updates will continue"

I don't understand this paragraph. Was the wing in the 2nd race as flexible as Mercedes and if the FIA clamp down on it, then they will have to revert to the old spec?
I don't quite understand what you mean. The RB wing was not allowed to be used during the first race, but was allowed to be used after an adjustment in the second race. The wing has been approved, so can be used from now on.
Ah, I understand now, thank you

godlameroso

I wonder if it was Mercedes strategy to force teams to deliver updates by France/Austria in order to give themselves a few weeks to further develop their package.

In Austria Verstappen was faster by .3 .4 seconds per lap, it's not easy to bolt on half a second of performance by normal means.
Saishū kōnā

Dee
Dee

godlameroso wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 13:32
I wonder if it was Mercedes strategy to force teams to deliver updates by France/Austria in order to give themselves a few weeks to further develop their package.

In Austria Verstappen was faster by .3 .4 seconds per lap, it's not easy to bolt on half a second of performance by normal means.
RB have not finished with updates, there will be more further into the season

godlameroso

Dee wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 13:50
godlameroso wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 13:32

RB have not finished with updates, there will be more further into the season
I'm aware of that, they want to win this year with Honda. It's a shame because there's so much development potential this year as well. We are tossing that in the bin for cars that will largely look the same save for the paint scheme.
Saishū kōnā

Wouter

We're never ones to shy away from a race so when Red Bull UK challenged us to a showdown with some iconic British machinery we were more than happy to fire up our double F1 championship-winning RB7 to take on the Best of British!

We all know how much the Brits love their motorsport so it's no surprise to see a grid featuring everything from a double decker bus, a classic black cab and the iconic Supermarine Spitfire! The perfect way to get up to speed for the British Grand Prix... 🇬🇧

The Power of Dreams!

lio007

Dee wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 13:12
Wouter wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 12:52
Dee wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 12:46

"Verstappen didn't drive the new front wing in the first race at the Red Bull Ring at the Styrian Grand Prix. He only used it in the second , along with the sub-floor. " "Just for your information: This wing was removed by the FIA ​​in accordance with the existing flexibility regulations. So: In the course of development, it will become clear how the updates will continue"

I don't understand this paragraph. Was the wing in the 2nd race as flexible as Mercedes and if the FIA clamp down on it, then they will have to revert to the old spec?
I don't quite understand what you mean. The RB wing was not allowed to be used during the first race, but was allowed to be used after an adjustment in the second race. The wing has been approved, so can be used from now on.
Ah, I understand now, thank you
This is what it really means:
Verstappen ist im ersten Rennen auf dem Red-Bull-Ring, beim Steiermark-Grand-Prix, noch nicht den neuen Frontflügel gefahren. Den hat er erst im zweiten eingesetzt, zusammen mit dem Unterboden.

Verstappen did not drive with the new front wing in the first race at the Red Bull Ring, at the Styria Grand Prix. He only used it in the second race, together with the [serrated] floor.
Nur zu Ihrer Information: Dieser Flügel wurde von der FIA nach den bestehenden Flexibilitätsbestimmungen abgenommen.

Just for your information: This wing has been accepted by the FIA according to the existing flexibility regulations.
=> so the wing was NOT removed, but in this case the correct translation is in the sense as "accepted by the FIA". There was no adjustment necessary. It just wasn't yet available / finished at the first race.

godlameroso

Saishū kōnā

cheeRS
cheeRS

Sieper wrote:
13 Jul 2021, 23:13
Is it weird that I am a bit ticked off but that “dominant car” talk now that Max won a few races? When have Max and checo qualified P1 and P2 by a second on any non redbull car? Never. In fact, it was mostly just Max followed by 2 mercedesses so far. Last season we had several time Merc on 1 and 2, sometimes even by over a second.

I hope they can indeed turn also this deficit around.
Only replying since you asked for it. Dominant is certainly subjective here. If a car wins every race by .25 sec it's still considered dominant, just as one that wins by 10 sec every race.

Two things are true for any reasonable F1 fan:

1. Max is top tier, and definitely better than Checo overall
2. The RBR16B has proven to be the better car, at least up until now.

You can say what you want about Lewis' skill or whether it's just the car, but the fact is that rarely, rarely will any driver out qualify him by a large margin unless the car is clearly better. In France/Austria/Styria, Merc barely stood a chance. To me, that's dominant, as it probably is to most reasonable fans.
Human history is the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy.

langedweil

Don't really agree it's dominant (yet). dominant is when both cars qualify and win at will at any circuit; qualy at least 0.5s faster for the slower car ..
If you state RB currently has the upper hand, yes ofcourse .. but dominant, no.
HuggaWugga !

Ryar

cheeRS wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 23:57
Sieper wrote:
Is it weird that I am a bit ticked off but that “dominant car” talk now that Max won a few races? When have Max and checo qualified P1 and P2 by a second on any non redbull car? Never. In fact, it was mostly just Max followed by 2 mercedesses so far. Last season we had several time Merc on 1 and 2, sometimes even by over a second.

Only replying since you asked for it. Dominant is certainly subjective here. If a car wins every race by .25 sec it's still considered dominant, just as one that wins by 10 sec every race.

You can say what you want about Lewis' skill or whether it's just the car, but the fact is that rarely, rarely will any driver out qualify him by a large margin unless the car is clearly better. In France/Austria/Styria, Merc barely stood a chance. To me, that's dominant, as it probably is to most reasonable fans.
In Styrian GP, Red Bull outqualified the next best car (Mercedes) by 0.194. In Austrian GP, Red Bull outqualified the next best car (McLaren) by 0.48. These are margins, traditionlly considered to be closely matched cars. Don't discount that the McLaren car wasn't good. No good car can qualify on the front row by such a thin margin. Being unable to manage the tyres in races, is a different proposition.

The other major factor that need to be considered, which often is getting ignored is, a driver in his late 30s, can't be as quick as a driver in his early 20s. That's just human anatomy. Lewis used to be ultra quick in his early 20s, where he used to pull some stunning qualifying laps that used to surprise a clinical operator like Button (by his own admission). So, who knows, if Max is put in that Mercedes, he might be producing the same results that he is producing with RB16B. Any margin less than 3 tenths, a greater driver can overcome with his own skills, like Alonso used to do in the RB dominance days to come close to beating Seb. A margin less than 3 tenths, it's hard to distinguish if it the car or the driver that is making the difference.

The difference, IMHO, is, Max is aruguably the best driver on the grid. He is young, has matured faster than any other F1 driver of any generation and has a competitive car, with which he is making the difference. May be a younger Lewis in the W12, could have been spoiling the party for Max in qualifying, where every last hundredth matter. Look at Federer in the past 5 years, he was the same guy that used to beat anyone in his way, but is a pale shadow of his former self. Same with Rossi. The dominant Mercedes cars of the past few years, have obviously masked the physical degradation of a driver like Lewis. No offense, he is still a top quality, but just not the same like in his 20s. So, it may not be so much with the cars after all.
Hakuna Matata!

ispano6

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the RB16b being the better car or best car on the grid. All teams are subject to the same regulations and changes, and its how best they develop their car to the regulations. Some teams can use the excuse of the next year car focus taking away from the current year car, and that is their choice. Some teams can/will balance the development. Though for anyone to say that someone won because of a better car or because of floor regulation changes need to face the facts: it's survival of the fittest. Red Bull was severely affected by front wing regulation changes of a few years back, engine manufacturers development were hindered by a token system etc. Whoever wins the championships this year can claim to have had the best car, driver, power unit and team of 2021 and the results would back it up. Unless you have the WDC and WCC of separate teams, then the WDC may be down to the driver, and the WCC to the car and team.

Sieper

I am not sure (still) that is is (the better car). I am actually fearing a spain like scenario here. But OK, let’s be positive and hope RB now indeed has the best package.

basti313
basti313

cheeRS wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 23:57
Sieper wrote:

This is a bit strange to me from the point of numbers.
If a car wins a three race streak of Q by 0.25sec it is dominant...ok. If we translate this to drivers your take on Lewis is strange...as he lost streaks of races to Rosberg with this margin, can we say that Rosberg dominated Lewis in some parts of for example the 2016 season?

I think we should not rewrite history...what we see is a usual difference within 0.2 to 0.4sec. The usual difference Ros and Ham had in the same car from track to track, from weekend to weekend. This is a driver margin, not necessarily a car margin. Especially as Austria is RB territory since years now....I do not see how you can assume any sort of dominance.

So everything in this discussion boils down to the question how good Checo is...I hope we get more answer on this on "easy" tracks like Silverstone.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Sieper

The problem with his reaction is not that he said if Max outqualifies Lewis by 0.25 second, that is not what he said, no, if he just wins the race by 0.25 seconds. So if I translate this message it reads as "If Max wins against Lewis (by any margin) the car is dominant".

fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

RedBull do not need to do updates unless Mercedes are; they say they are not and realised their mistake although I think they are just bluffing to try and keep RedBull resources on 2021 car.

RedBull the faster car; nobody doubting that.