2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Macklaren
Macklaren

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

ScottR267 wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 19:40
Macklaren wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 16:19
Motorsport reporting that Aston Martin is about to announce more big technical names poached. Hope no one from McLaren. the team has finally found its footing
Fingers crossed mate. Who at McLaren would they consider, Seidl is a non-starter! Key or Prodromou? Given McLaren’s fall back on the grid I’m not all that familiar with the big names within the team as may well have done as yesteryear or like with other teams.

However given the feel good atmosphere at McLaren which Zak and Andreas have implemented you’d like to think the staff are more likely to stay!
Am most worried about Peter and AMR trying to create the Prodromou-Fallows pair that McL was trying to do a few years ago. But I hope they each want the aero glory/position to themselves!

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Macklaren wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 19:43
ScottR267 wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 19:40
Macklaren wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 16:19
Motorsport reporting that Aston Martin is about to announce more big technical names poached. Hope no one from McLaren. the team has finally found its footing
Fingers crossed mate. Who at McLaren would they consider, Seidl is a non-starter! Key or Prodromou? Given McLaren’s fall back on the grid I’m not all that familiar with the big names within the team as may well have done as yesteryear or like with other teams.

However given the feel good atmosphere at McLaren which Zak and Andreas have implemented you’d like to think the staff are more likely to stay!
Am most worried about Peter and AMR trying to create the Prodromou-Fallows pair that McL was trying to do a few years ago. But I hope they each want the aero glory/position to themselves!
It may be a concern, but in reality, Prodromou was Fallows boss at Red Bull. With Fallows appointed TD and Green CTO, I don’t know where Prodromou would fit in. What’s his official position in McLaren anyway? I’ve seen him referred to as numerous things over time.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Scorpia wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 13:14
BMMR61 wrote:And speaking of front limited tracks I think we still have remnants of the front end issues or am I wrong? Maybe it was more in low speed corners the issue which was addressed in Spanish GP updates. Carlos was holding down 4th when his front left Pirelli died with 2 laps to go last year. Certainly the high speed slipperiness of the latest incarnation of 35M looks impressive so maybe Austrian result isn’t such an outlier as critics predict. Hungary on paper looks more of a challenge but Monza is our big hope, but I’m getting ahead of myself….
I’m afraid that this weekend the format will play a larger role than the cars inherent characteristics… With only FP1 to setup the car, whomever shows up with a better base setup will have the upper hand during the weekend… Which is a bit scary…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven’t McLaren been pretty good (at least in the past) to be good right out of the box? Then in fp2/3 teams tend to catch up. I’m actually excited to see what this have to offer. A crash in the sprint can be crucial for the race itself.
Very hard to tell really since McLaren seems to have a different approach to FP1 / FP2 to the rest of the teams, most often even looking a bit off the pace on Friday’s and apparently making a big jump on Saturday’s.

I’m hoping the team will nail it from the get go! And also excited with the new format… No idea what to expect from it, but I have a very open mind about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lucky
Lucky

Morteza

Last edited by Morteza on 15 Jul 2021, 14:41, edited 1 time in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

djos

I’m surprised he isn’t vaccinated by now.
"In downforce we trust"

hudnut
hudnut

He might have been. Vaccination doesn't guarantee 100% immunity.

billamend
billamend

Specially if the AZ with the new variants.

_cerber1

Lando got robbed, Zach got sick, and the home grand prix is just beginning.

ScottR267
ScottR267

Will there be any space on the driver suits for the logo! Long gone of the days from 2014-2017 where the car and suits looking empty

Lucky
Lucky

_cerber1

billamend
billamend

~Misleading headline. They are in talks, but nothing has been signed.~

I have been corrected.

mwillems

Well that's any equity issues sorted.

The Saudi government are trying hard to divest in the face of the sunset falling upon oil, so for them to choose to invest in Mclaren is high praise, and will follow from a belief that they are a very strong investment for the future, as they have a lot of money to invest and can choose from a vast range of portfolios.

Great great news. So now we have three home Grand Prix???!
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 20:35
Scorpia wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
14 Jul 2021, 13:14

I’m afraid that this weekend the format will play a larger role than the cars inherent characteristics… With only FP1 to setup the car, whomever shows up with a better base setup will have the upper hand during the weekend… Which is a bit scary…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven’t McLaren been pretty good (at least in the past) to be good right out of the box? Then in fp2/3 teams tend to catch up. I’m actually excited to see what this have to offer. A crash in the sprint can be crucial for the race itself.
Very hard to tell really since McLaren seems to have a different approach to FP1 / FP2 to the rest of the teams, most often even looking a bit off the pace on Friday’s and apparently making a big jump on Saturday’s.

I’m hoping the team will nail it from the get go! And also excited with the new format… No idea what to expect from it, but I have a very open mind about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm not sure what happened, but there was talk of us not being in every session as the gearbox required some changes as the lifespan was too short for some parts. I think this was tomorrows P2. This was due to the extended amount of park ferme that prevented us from performing maintenance on the GB. Hopefully the rule was waved and we can. A few other teams also had the same issue.

The downside to todays format is that we have parts to test at that has become harder to do with more park ferme time and less Free time. So for us to get that setup right we are going to have our work cut out, but then so will everyone to more or a less of a degree.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit