2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

Very good result… Great step from Daniel… As long as both drivers are within a couple of tenths of each other, that’s all we can ask for… The team seemed to focus not even on the sprint, but on the race on Sunday, running Hards and Mediums on Practice to understand the compounds that ultimately matter.

Really looking forward to this weekend, P5-P6 is in the cards and who knows, P4 and even P3 could be at play

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mwillems

Yeah its a luxury to feel disappointed with these positions.

The limited track time gave some interesting approaches. But it makes sens to focus not on the softs as we would gain knowledge of that compound via the sprint sessions

Will the C1 be required for the race?.
Last edited by mwillems on 16 Jul 2021, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Chicane
Chicane

Ricciardo's speed has not gone anywhere. He is as quick as ever. Silverstone is a high speed track with only one big braking zone. Ricciardo is a proven top tier driver but has had only one issue, struggling to cope with ''lack of feeling'' while turning the car on brakes during entry in to the corner. I hope as he gains more and more seat time he will eventually get on top of trail braking in this car.
Last edited by Chicane on 16 Jul 2021, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.
Quickshifter

mwillems

There are some important trail braking corners here, but I don't think you ever need to brake hard enough that your feel is an issue.

Hopefully DR has a great weekend.

-Bandit

Chicane
Chicane

mwillems wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 20:25
There are some important trail braking corners here, but I don't think you ever need to brake hard enough that your feel is an issue.

Hopefully DR has a great weekend.
Ricciardo struggled in Turn 1 and Turn 3 in Austria where entry has to be maximized under braking without compromising exit. At Silverstone you do trail the brakes in to a few corners but that's under gentle braking as you say where ''the feel'' does not come in to the picture.
Quickshifter

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:Yeah its a luxury to feel disappointed with these positions.

The limited track time gave some interesting approaches. But it makes sens to focus not on the softs as we would gain knowledge of that compound via the sprint sessions

I strongly believe that Sunday is a Medium - Hard race… If that’s the case… Tomorrow’s sprint will probably be all held on Mediums… The team focusing on those tires, should give them an edge for the weekend

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

One thing to keep in mind is that the team has managed to halve the gap to pole compared to last year… From been on average (both races) 1.5 seconds to pole, the team was now around 0.7 from pole… That’s huge and bodes really well for the remainder of the season!

mwillems

SmallSoldier wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 20:37

I strongly believe that Sunday is a Medium - Hard race… If that’s the case… Tomorrow’s sprint will probably be all held on Mediums… The team focusing on those tires, should give them an edge for the weekend

It's on the boundary and since positions are the name of the game, does getting track positon at the start on softs and then managing the pace pay off?

17 Laps is one third of race distance, I would think that the softs should stretch to that and possibly be faster than mediums. But ultimate speed is not as much as a concern as getting past people early on and then holding track position.... time will tell!

I like this format, I enjoyed having something more meaningful on a Friday. The tracks will be able to get more money in too. But it concerns me a little if this would be the de facto format, as teams would perhaps find it hard to test development work which is already restricted in terms of CFD and wind tunnel.

Or perhaps that's a good think as it further helps the teams who finished lower in the previous years constructors.

-Bandit

Big Tea

I know it is 'free tyres' to start, but is it also free for the change? Can it be run Med-Med?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

mwillems

Big Tea wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 21:31
I know it is 'free tyres' to start, but is it also free for the change? Can it be run Med-Med?
Yes there are no tyre obligations, but you'd go soft-soft for sure if you were stopping, but on that I really don't think they will, unless there's a safety in which case they will likely stop for new softs.

-Bandit

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

mwillems wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 20:37

It's on the boundary and since positions are the name of the game, does getting track positon at the start on softs and then managing the pace pay off?

17 Laps is one third of race distance, I would think that the softs should stretch to that and possibly be faster than mediums. But ultimate speed is not as much as a concern as getting past people early on and then holding track position.... time will tell!

I like this format, I enjoyed having something more meaningful on a Friday. The tracks will be able to get more money in too. But it concerns me a little if this would be the de facto format, as teams would perhaps find it hard to test development work which is already restricted in terms of CFD and wind tunnel.

Or perhaps that's a good think as it further helps the teams who finished lower in the previous years constructors.
Good points… The Softs may be able to last 17 laps… But, can you push them 17 laps? I Have a feeling that the preferred tire for the sprint will the medium, since you can push from lap 1 on them… No one will pitstop tomorrow… So going on a tire that may fall off the performance window with a few laps to go may not be an option.

The format is fun, something meaningful happening on Friday… A lot of expectation built towards Saturday and we are not even discussing Sunday yet… That’s success in my mind… But, this is a format that can’t be use “everywhere”… Tracks like Silverstone, Monza, Spa could maximize the concept… But we will always have the Monaco’s, Spain’s, Singapore’s where this concept would be just plain silly.

Macklaren
Macklaren

The Sprint race is an all out full pace blast. I don't think anyone would be "managing" their pace. Unless the softs are not going to last 17 laps

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Macklaren wrote:The Sprint race is an all out full pace blast. I don't think anyone would be "managing" their pace. Unless the softs are not going to last 17 laps
That’s the thing… I don’t see the Softs lasting for 17 laps with some serious pace management… It will be interesting once we know which tires the teams have chosen to start the Sprint… Starting on Softs with the capability of making a couple of positions on the start is tempting… Is is the right call over the stint though?

mwillems

Yeah the softs definitely won't do 17 laps at full blast, there will be some pace management.
And the gamble with the softs is that if you don't make places early on, you're probably going to lose places, especially if you don't find clean air.

Actually, whilst my brain ponders this, the cars will also only have fuel for 17 race laps (And formation and race closing lap), so be lighter and easier on the tyres... Other considerations are we'd have to get past Perez and Leclerc, or just Leclerc and let Perez go ahead. Plenty to ponder here, but I'm now thinking mediums are the best bet for us too but I still wouldn't write off those softs. I don't think they are too much of a stretch...

-Bandit

Big Tea

mwillems wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 21:34
Big Tea wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 21:31
Yes there are no tyre obligations, but you'd go soft-soft for sure if you were stopping, but on that I really don't think they will, unless there's a safety in which case they will likely stop for new softs.
I mean on Sunday? can they not chose the start tyre then too?
The softs tomorrow of course will be New rubber and it will only be 17 laps, not 17 + the 3 from quali
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.