2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

Phil wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 16:13

In regards to Bottas - yes, he made a mistake and he is to blame for it, but it was an easy mistake to make, further enhanced by the loss of downforce by having had Norris cut in front of him. Once he stepped on the brakes a little too late, he was a passenger and unfortunately took out 3 other cars too.

In regards to penalty - no, I don't agree that the effect should be subject to the incident itself. Sometimes small mistakes with big consequences happen. It's just the way it is. If you start factoring in effect in the cause, penalties will become a lot more scrutinized. How would you measure that anyway?
Yeah it looked to me like Bottas got out of the throttle just as Norris and Perez squeezed him, as they cleared he went back on throttle, at that point Norris an Perez braked, so he was going on throttle as they came off. From that point it was game over. Such a small error, but huge consequences!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Big Tea

LaplacesDemon wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 16:22
Shame we didn't get to see a Ver/Ham duel.
A lot has been said about how lucky Lewis is but I think on balance looking at his entire career fortune has not always been so kind.

I think it's rather more appropriate to lament how unlucky Max has been so far.

On the flip side, thank god for Alonso and Lewis in particular providing some entertainment. Without them we would have watched Seb following Ocon for 67 laps.

Tough race for Max fans, great times ahead for fans of the sport.
I think Seb would have just about stepped aside for him. NO, no conspiracy, but Seb would have been very low on fuel by then and finishing the race would be his priority.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

NathanOlder

grubschumi13 wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 16:17
Ham was stuck when on like for like tyre life.

After his 2nd stop a much faster car and fresher tyres to boot it was easy pickings. Had he stayed on a 1 stopper, I think Sainz had him covered.
Yeah he wasn't passing Sainz, not with Sainz on tyres that were 13 laps newer than Hamilton.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

LaplacesDemon
LaplacesDemon

I get the feeling Bottas overreacted as he realized he was being swallowed by the midfield. Small error, huge consequences.

How many people are really entitled to judge how difficult it is to safely navigate traffic in the first turn of the first lap in very greasy conditions in a modern F1 car?

Same goes for Stroll.

Ryar

El Scorchio wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 15:26
People seem to be very hysterical and knee jerk about things these days. Baying for rule changes or ultra harsh penalties for incidents which really don't warrant them. Race bans or 20 place grid drops for Stroll and Bottas? Have a word with yourselves! I have no idea how you'd have coped in the 80s or 90s.
Remove the Mercedes tinted glasses and see the impact to the drivers and teams. Grosjean was given a race ban for a similar reckles drive. Thanksfully, there was no free internet and forums in 80s and 90s for people to preach, which was a good relief.
Hakuna Matata!

LaplacesDemon
LaplacesDemon

Big Tea wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 16:26
LaplacesDemon wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 16:22
Shame we didn't get to see a Ver/Ham duel.
A lot has been said about how lucky Lewis is but I think on balance looking at his entire career fortune has not always been so kind.

I think it's rather more appropriate to lament how unlucky Max has been so far.

On the flip side, thank god for Alonso and Lewis in particular providing some entertainment. Without them we would have watched Seb following Ocon for 67 laps.

Tough race for Max fans, great times ahead for fans of the sport.
I think Seb would have just about stepped aside for him. NO, no conspiracy, but Seb would have been very low on fuel by then and finishing the race would be his priority.
I don't think he would have, according to the team all the indications were they were safe on fuel.

NathanOlder

Ryar wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 16:32
El Scorchio wrote:
People seem to be very hysterical and knee jerk about things these days. Baying for rule changes or ultra harsh penalties for incidents which really don't warrant them. Race bans or 20 place grid drops for Stroll and Bottas? Have a word with yourselves! I have no idea how you'd have coped in the 80s or 90s.
Remove the Mercedes tinted glasses and see the impact to the drivers and teams. Grosjean was given a race ban for a similar reckles drive. Thanksfully, there was no free internet and forums in 80s and 90s for people to preach, which was a good relief.
Grosjean had just come back to F1 and was already involved in incidents that season. So its not the same. Bottas isn't known as a crasher or an aggressive driver. A ban is ridiculous.

Also like to add, Grosjean's ban was infuluenced by the fact he was inches away from decapitating Fernando Alonso.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Phil

Ryar wrote:
Grosjean was given a race ban for a similar reckles drive. Thanksfully, there was no free internet and forums in 80s and 90s for people to preach, which was a good relief.
Grosjean didn't receive the race ban because of that one reckless start. Stating so is factually incorrect and misleading. It was a culmination of events that lead to that ban. The same can not be said about Bottas - he is consistently a driver who rarely comes into contact with other cars, stays out of trouble and is sensible.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

LaplacesDemon
LaplacesDemon

Ryar wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:
The problem with this forum is people like yourself who are only capable of a binary interpretation of other users post: either pro or against whoever they support.

If you removed your whatever tinted glasses you could perhaps analyze the post objectively and you could see there is some value to it.

Wouter

Jolle wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 14:59

On a side note; Alonso must be gutted and happy at the same time. Happy to have a good GP and scored/assisted in a good result for his team, but for him the worst guy won.
You never want your team mate in front let alone win. And then one step away from the podium…
Alonso was very happy for him, like a real sportsman does!

The Power of Dreams!

SiLo

LaplacesDemon wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 16:40
Ryar wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:
The problem with this forum is people like yourself who are only capable of a binary interpretation of other users post: either pro or against whoever they support.

If you removed your whatever tinted glasses you could perhaps analyze the post objectively and you could see there is some value to it.
[-o<

Changing topic, but was anyone surprised that Sainz didn't just cruise up to Vettel and Ocon when he had clear air in front of him? I was sure he would just pull Hamilton along right up to the back of them, but he just ran out of steam after a few laps or so.
Last edited by SiLo on 02 Aug 2021, 17:00, edited 1 time in total.
Felipe Baby!

dans79

Ryar wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

Lol, and you should take off the penalize Mercedes for every possible thing glasses. Grosjean in 2012 wasn't even close to the same type of incident it was on a dry track, and he interlocked wheels with a car he was pushing off the track. They hadn't even reached the breaking Zone yet.
Last edited by dans79 on 02 Aug 2021, 17:00, edited 1 time in total.
201 105 104 9 9 7

El Scorchio

SiLo wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 16:55
LaplacesDemon wrote:
Ryar wrote:

[-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

Changing topic, but was anyone surprised that Sainz didn't just cruise up to Vettel and Ocon when he had clear air in front of him? I was sure he would just pull Hamilton along right up to the back of them, but he just ran out of steam after a few laps or so.
Do you mean in Hamilton's middle stint? I was pretty surprised by that too, if so. He got it down to around 4.2 seconds or so but no closer, didn't he? I've no idea of the age of Sainz' tyres at that part of the race, though. Not that old, right? I did assume he'd get right onto the back of them and it came down a bit but then stopped.

SiLo

El Scorchio wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 17:00
SiLo wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 16:55
LaplacesDemon wrote:

[-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

Do you mean in Hamilton's middle stint? I was pretty surprised by that too, if so. He got it down to around 4.2 seconds or so but no closer, didn't he? I've no idea of the age of Sainz' tyres at that part of the race, though. Not that old, right? I did assume he'd get right onto the back of them and it came down a bit but then stopped.
Yeah, I think his tires were a few laps older than Vettel and Ocon, but I figured the Ferrari in race trim would be a good bit faster, and he did cut the gap down quite a bit, but just seemed to hit a wall and then started to fall back.

Think he gained around 12 seconds on them or so?
Felipe Baby!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Phil wrote:
02 Aug 2021, 16:39
Ryar wrote:
Grosjean was given a race ban for a similar reckles drive. Thanksfully, there was no free internet and forums in 80s and 90s for people to preach, which was a good relief.
Grosjean didn't receive the race ban because of that one reckless start. Stating so is factually incorrect and misleading. It was a culmination of events that lead to that ban. The same can not be said about Bottas - he is consistently a driver who rarely comes into contact with other cars, stays out of trouble and is sensible.
It's odd this bringing up of Grosjean. He was quite quick in 2012, but he was fairly accident prone. He had been in 2009 when he'd briefly driven for Renault following the crash-gate scandal. ISTR he'd had a number of coming togethers in the first lap - something like 4 in 18 races before the 2012 Spa incident. He'd gotten himself a name for being a bit lacking in caution on the first lap. Perhaps the court of F1 opinion was against him by the time he caused the accident.

Also, Grosjean didn't seem to learn as he got older. 2018 Spanish GP T3 - who can forget the wall of smoke that the drivers were forced to enter after he spun and floored the throttle? That took out two others who weren't even involved with him.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.