2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MachineCo.
MachineCo.

Re: 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

Ferrari & Schumacher were booed constantly. But you got to give it to the British fans, much as they hated Schumacher they did cheer loudly for him once.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

MachineCo. wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 21:01
Ferrari & Schumacher were booed constantly. But you got to give it to the British fans, much as they hated Schumacher they did cheer loudly for him once.
I remember the British GP in '96. Schuie retired very early on with a mechanical issue. Much cheering from the Hill fans. When Hill retired later in the race, the British Schuie fans (yes, there were plenty of them) shouted back "you've all gone quiet over there!". This was in the rowdy section by Vale. :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

maxxer
maxxer

If you decide to be a fan of a person or team you have to boo against the others no ? cant cheer for them all ?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

maxxer wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 21:38
If you decide to be a fan of a person or team you have to boo against the others no ? cant cheer for them all ?
It can be done light heartedly. Or at least it was back then when the feel was more akin to rugby supporters. These days there seems to be more tribalism and it's all a bit more like football "fans" than racing fans. I guess it's the times we live in. Sad really.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

codetower

Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 21:53
maxxer wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 21:38
It can be done light heartedly. Or at least it was back then when the feel was more akin to rugby supporters. These days there seems to be more tribalism and it's all a bit more like football "fans" than racing fans. I guess it's the times we live in. Sad really.
See, I believe it's not much different as it was in yesteryear. I believe that 99% of the fans that were booing Hamilton were doing it just as lighthearted as before. The difference today is that with the internet and social media, that 1% can be louder and more obnoxious than the 99% so it SEEMS that the fans are more ruthless. You will have the few idiots that are posting racial comments, and stupid reactions, and these will be magnified. I don't feel that represents most fans.

RZS10

basti313 wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 14:24
RZS10 wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 14:04
Hamilton did not aim for Alonsos rear tyre.
Alonso did not run him off track, he did not close the gap and left the space.
Hamilton had every right to go for that bit of track and was almost level towards the brake tap/turn in point.
Hmmmm....still it is a pity that Ham's front wheel did not touch the rear wheel a bit harder. Would have ended Alo in the runout and Ham right behind Sainz, Vet and Oco after a SC. Would have been fun with Ham fans showing in the frame by frame analysis why he is not at fault and argument why it would have been ok to win the race like this.
We are missing a lot here...
i think most prefer no crashes in the races :lol:
and that thread was never about determining if either of them was at fault or any of the other stuff you mention, everyone was free to take away whichever interpretation of the presented images they wanted

Incognito
Incognito

If, instead of Hamilton being the only one that pitted, let's say it was just Haas that stayed out.

Mick floors it but Mazepin doesn't pull away. Instead, he cracks his lid and slowly pulls out and lights a cigarette.

The field can't leave the pits until Mazepin drives past the pit lane, but he isn't going to move until he's been lapped 69 times and simply needs to drive the length of the grid to complete the race... Guaranteed Haas 1-2?

adrianjordan

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 16:53
Jolle wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 15:24
Incognito wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 15:11
I agree. Your approach was valuable in that you raised the question of whether he should be racing and outlined your reasoning (which was consistent and neutral). Sadly, not everyone else makes the same careful case nor uses qualified statements.

Is there a physical (and mental?) fitness test that drivers have to pass before each GP? If not, should there be? I don't even know if there is a concussion protocol (I assume there must be)?

We've seen drivers, in the past, have to be helped out of the car due to exhaustion/dehydration. Whilst it looks heroic (and probably is, given the conditions under which they've just performed), I think you are right to raise the point that having people driving in such a condition is fundamentally dangerous. Would it be possible to have in car monitoring which would allow the course /team doctor to be able to track the condition of the driver?

Matthew Carter mentioned something, in the recent Missed Apex podcast, on a parallel line of thinking around having a more health-focussed approach when he was managing Lotus (e.g. mandatory gym sessions, scheduled electrolyte refills, etc).
Drivers have a medical.

This would open up a can of worms, not just in Motorsport but sport in general. A small cold, bit of flu or an upset stomage would deem to unable to participate (these are very similar to what will happen in your body when you’re experiencing long COVID types of complains)

Being a bit I’ll, or under the weather, or just ate to little, for anybody that is into sports, really comes in to play right after you’ve been active. You crash. Reserves feel gone, etc. It’s not like having an heart attack on something on track.
Thanks for the considered reply. It IS a can of worms but top athletes withdraw from tournaments/don’t compete all the time if they’re not well. Sometimes they decide/sometimes the team does. The BIG warning sign for me isn’t being tired after the race but clearly the voice comms whilst on track, being completely lost as to what lap of the race it is (and not by 1 lap either). Tell tale signs of impaired cognitive ability.

You may not want to admit it as obviously it has HUGE ramifications if he wasn’t to compete and again, I don’t like championships decided in any way. But for me being totally out of sorts, verging on “delirium” in a cockpit, is a dangerous thing. And I’d have to consider what else could happen eg loss of consciousness etc. It ISNT a big leap and it’s a BIG risk for himself and everyone involved
Where did you get your medical degree?? You're now diagnosing delirium simply judging by radio comms?

How many times have we heard drivers ask what lap it is? Hundreds.

Stop embarrassing yourself.

Hamilton has long Covid, but it is clearly not preventing him from competing at the highest level.

It's not uncommon for athletes to suddenly feel the effects at the end of competition as their body stops producing as much adrenaline. Also whilst driving his leg muscles will be constantly is use which plays aassive part in maintaining a certain level of cblood pressure. When he stops and stands still, he may experience some postural hypotension. Doesn't make him unfit to race or a danger to anyone.

For the record I'm a healthcare professional who regularly provides medical cover at sporting events.

Anyone who thinks he would risk racing if he thought he wasn't safe to, or that Mercedes would let him, is as misguided as those suggesting anyone (except Piquet Jr) would crash on purpose.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

jurinius
jurinius

When someone is over dominant on his activity / sport, there will come some haters. Roger Federer, Nadal at RG, Michael Phelps, ... The boos don't stop everybody to win and Hamilton will continue to win, no matters how many growing haters around the globe.
After this GP, Mercedes is ahead of both championships cause it is the booed man who is drving that car. Good Summer break.
“And suddenly I realized that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.”
― Ayrton Senna

the poster below
the poster below

adrianjordan wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 22:28
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
Jolle wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 15:24

Drivers have a medical.

This would open up a can of worms, not just in Motorsport but sport in general. A small cold, bit of flu or an upset stomage would deem to unable to participate (these are very similar to what will happen in your body when you’re experiencing long COVID types of complains)

Being a bit I’ll, or under the weather, or just ate to little, for anybody that is into sports, really comes in to play right after you’ve been active. You crash. Reserves feel gone, etc. It’s not like having an heart attack on something on track.
Thanks for the considered reply. It IS a can of worms but top athletes withdraw from tournaments/don’t compete all the time if they’re not well. Sometimes they decide/sometimes the team does. The BIG warning sign for me isn’t being tired after the race but clearly the voice comms whilst on track, being completely lost as to what lap of the race it is (and not by 1 lap either). Tell tale signs of impaired cognitive ability.

You may not want to admit it as obviously it has HUGE ramifications if he wasn’t to compete and again, I don’t like championships decided in any way. But for me being totally out of sorts, verging on “delirium” in a cockpit, is a dangerous thing. And I’d have to consider what else could happen eg loss of consciousness etc. It ISNT a big leap and it’s a BIG risk for himself and everyone involved
Where did you get your medical degree?? You're now diagnosing delirium simply judging by radio comms?

Hamilton has long Covid, but it is clearly not preventing him from competing at the highest level.

It's not uncommon for athletes to suddenly feel the effects at the end of competition as their body stops producing as much adrenaline. Also whilst driving his leg muscles will be constantly is use which plays aassive part in maintaining a certain level of cblood pressure. When he stops and stands still, he may experience some postural hypotension. Doesn't make him unfit to race or a danger to anyone.

For the record I'm a healthcare professional who regularly provides medical cover at sporting events.

Anyone who thinks he would risk racing if he thought he wasn't safe to, or that Mercedes would let him, is as misguided as those suggesting anyone (except Piquet Jr) would crash on purpose.
Interesting point about postural hypotension - would there be anything they could do to the race suit to help with that? Like how fighter pilots have g-suits, although not sure if that would help or hinder in the race...

adrianjordan

the poster below wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 22:48
adrianjordan wrote:
101FlyingDutchman wrote:

Interesting point about postural hypotension - would there be anything they could do to the race suit to help with that? Like how fighter pilots have g-suits, although not sure if that would help or hinder in the race...
No, because it wouldn't be the g-forces causing it, rather the sudden reduction in muscle contractions etc.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Big Tea

Incognito wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 22:26
If, instead of Hamilton being the only one that pitted, let's say it was just Haas that stayed out.

Mick floors it but Mazepin doesn't pull away. Instead, he cracks his lid and slowly pulls out and lights a cigarette.

The field can't leave the pits until Mazepin drives past the pit lane, but he isn't going to move until he's been lapped 69 times and simply needs to drive the length of the grid to complete the race... Guaranteed Haas 1-2?
I wish I could give you a + for that =D>
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

nzjrs

adrianjordan wrote:
Hamilton has long Covid,
... I don't think you can or should say that as written ...

nzjrs

Incognito wrote:

=D> =D> =D>

Viper2789
Viper2789

Incognito wrote:

Well played haha!

Are you suggesting that SCH does the laps for Haas as there is a chance MAZ might spin by himself out there for 69 laps? Haha (joke- for those of you in here that a little touchy atm)