2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Jolle
Jolle

Re: 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

The onboard and pit radio from Ocon at the start is brilliant by the way, you see everybody crash, he drives trough it in Cole Trickle style and after the corner "P2, nice work" from his engineer :D

ab_f1
ab_f1

dans79 wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 01:58
I don't think Alonso has missed a single opportunity to promote himself ever.
Man, did you see his body language when he was saying same stuff on Sky.

ringo

Andres125sx wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 16:00
ringo wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 08:20
Andres125sx wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 08:09

This.
How is this equal to 3 seconds a lap faster?
Also what are the 3 laps before he was racing Alonso and what are the lap times of both?

Second how much of a time difference is required to overtake at this track.. And why is that the Williams and Haas were so dificult to overtake by the others?
I'm guessing the narative is to say that Hamilton is an error prone driver who doesnt know how to overtake? Okay then.
Ringo, you´re taking it the wrong way. Nobody is saying such a stupidity. Anyone claiming Hamilton does not know how to overtake will only expose himself.

The point is the contrary, Alonso was awesome holding Lewis back for that long because Lewis was almost 3 seconds a lap faster, and also because Lewis is one of the best overtakers, so what Alonso did was simply impressive. That´s all, none is bashing Hamilton, but praising Alonso. I hope that´s not a problem for you :wink:
Alonso and Hamilton to me is the true heir after shumacher. I rate both at the highest level. But as much as Lewis downplays his tyre wear and plays mind games Alonso also hypes himself and plays mind games. Theyre two sides to the same coin. He did a very great job defending but he knows its not puzzling why Lewis could not pass. They tyre advantage was not big enough. Second Alonso knows why he lost the championship in 2010. He could not overtake A Vitaly Petrov in a much much slower car in Abudahbi, an easier place to overtake.

Alonso is very good. supreme car control and unrelenting time attack skills. But his own hype is something that's hard for him to resist. I do not mind, i enjoy his sense of motivation and humour. But his defense was not an impossible defense.

The most impossible in recent memory is the duel in the desert with Lewis on old slower tyres and Nico on fresher tyres.
For Sure!!

Andres125sx

ringo wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 04:28
Andres125sx wrote:
ringo wrote:
03 Aug 2021, 08:20

How is this equal to 3 seconds a lap faster?
Also what are the 3 laps before he was racing Alonso and what are the lap times of both?

Second how much of a time difference is required to overtake at this track.. And why is that the Williams and Haas were so dificult to overtake by the others?
I'm guessing the narative is to say that Hamilton is an error prone driver who doesnt know how to overtake? Okay then.
Ringo, you´re taking it the wrong way. Nobody is saying such a stupidity. Anyone claiming Hamilton does not know how to overtake will only expose himself.

The point is the contrary, Alonso was awesome holding Lewis back for that long because Lewis was almost 3 seconds a lap faster, and also because Lewis is one of the best overtakers, so what Alonso did was simply impressive. That´s all, none is bashing Hamilton, but praising Alonso. I hope that´s not a problem for you :wink:
Alonso and Hamilton to me is the true heir after shumacher. I rate both at the highest level. But as much as Lewis downplays his tyre wear and plays mind games Alonso also hypes himself and plays mind games. Theyre two sides to the same coin. He did a very great job defending but he knows its not puzzling why Lewis could not pass. They tyre advantage was not big enough. Second Alonso knows why he lost the championship in 2010. He could not overtake A Vitaly Petrov in a much much slower car in Abudahbi, an easier place to overtake.

Alonso is very good. supreme car control and unrelenting time attack skills. But his own hype is something that's hard for him to resist. I do not mind, i enjoy his sense of motivation and humour. But his defense was not an impossible defense.

The most impossible in recent memory is the duel in the desert with Lewis on old slower tyres and Nico on fresher tyres.
So a Mercedes with 5 laps old medium tires does not have enough tire advantage versus an Alpine with 15 laps old hard tires? Sorry but this is BS, that is a huge tire advantage even without considering the car advantage wich adds to this.

Ryar

Andres125sx wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 08:10
ringo wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 04:28
Andres125sx wrote:

So a Mercedes with 5 laps old medium tires does not have enough tire advantage versus an Alpine with 15 laps old hard tires? Sorry but this is BS, that is a huge tire advantage even without considering the car advantage wich adds to this.
Mercedes was 1.2 seconds faster than Alpine in quali. At the stage when Hamilton was fighting with Alonso, Alonso was on hard tyres which were almost 15 laps older than Hamilton's mediums which were around 7 laps older. Good 8 laps of life difference with faster compound. At that stage, Hamilton potentially had 15 laps worth of fuel in the tank. There were laps when Hamilton was fully recharging battery and dumping it in the next lap, aka quali mode. Loads to variables in favor of Hamilton to give large advantage, enough to pull an overtake in one lap.
Hakuna Matata!

e30ernest
e30ernest

You also have to factor in how hard it is to follow and pass in that track. Add to that, Alonso is already very difficult to pass on normal tracks, he would have been much more effective at defending here. Alonso just has a few areas to defend and in theory he can keep Hamilton behind him for an extended period. It's almost like how Daniel was able to win the Monaco GP despite being way down on power.

Ryar

e30ernest wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 09:57
You also have to factor in how hard it is to follow and pass in that track. Add to that, Alonso is already very difficult to pass on normal tracks, he would have been much more effective at defending here. Alonso just has a few areas to defend and in theory he can keep Hamilton behind him for an extended period. It's almost like how Daniel was able to win the Monaco GP despite being way down on power.
Comparison with Monaco is deceiving. Despite all that explanation, around 2 seconds advantage (I couldn't find a quote from Sky when they mentioned this) is all that is needed to pass a car in Hungaroring. That Mercedes car at that stage, had more than enough, accounting for both car's pace advantage plus tyres.

https://www.espn.in/f1/story/_/id/21441 ... ggest-flaw
If you look at most of the circuits we go to, the delta to overtake the car in front is usually a second and a half or something like that.
The problem, like Alonso mentioned was, Hamilton was erring on the last 2 corners, which is why he was stuck. Needless to say, Alonso was smart enough take advantage of those errors and make overtaking difficult with his own skills.
Hakuna Matata!

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Ryar wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 10:22
e30ernest wrote:
Comparison with Monaco is deceiving. Despite all that explanation, around 2 seconds advantage (I couldn't find a quote from Sky when they mentioned this) is all that is needed to pass a car in Hungaroring. That Mercedes car at that stage, had more than enough, accounting for both car's pace advantage plus tyres.

If you look at most of the circuits we go to, the delta to overtake the car in front is usually a second and a half or something like that.
The problem, like Alonso mentioned was, Hamilton was erring on the last 2 corners, which is why he was stuck. Needless to say, Alonso was smart enough take advantage of those errors and make overtaking difficult with his own skills.
The Mercedes’ grip is in the front. But if they cannot follow the last corner, because of dirty air, overtaking is as hard as any other car.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Ryar wrote:
e30ernest wrote:

The Mercedes’ grip is in the front. But if they cannot follow the last corner, because of dirty air, overtaking is as hard as any other car.

e30ernest
e30ernest

Ryar wrote:
Well by that metric, Verstappen should have passed Mick much much earlier too given how much pace advantage the Red Bull had over the Haas even with the damage to his car. After a lap and a half from his pass he was already 3+ secs ahead of Mick.

SiLo

Alonso defended incredibly well, and Lewis didn't want to take any undue risks because it was a good opportunity to make gains on Verstappen in the championship. Don't think we need any more explanation than that.
Felipe Baby!

NathanOlder

SiLo wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 11:05
Alonso defended incredibly well, and Lewis didn't want to take any undue risks because it was a good opportunity to make gains on Verstappen in the championship. Don't think we need any more explanation than that.
Exactly this, and it was only the fact that Alonso cracked under pressure that allowed Hamilton to pass. Was a great battle to watch.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Magicsenna_41
Magicsenna_41

What I can't accept is again the inconsistency of the Stewarts.
Before the 2nd start and the rush hour in the pitlane only Kimi got a penalty.
There was a unsafe release festival incl. Alonso, Gasly and obviously Kimi.

But may be they decided to consider consequences here as well 🙄

Palmer has made a video on F1TV showing this and especially Alonso release on a damp pitlane was dangerous. There was not much to the Ferrari mechanics.

El Scorchio

Magicsenna_41 wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 12:13
unsafe release festival
I love that phrase! It was absolute chaos in the pits. I wonder if they decided there was so much of it that they'd end up basically penalising 3/4 of the field and making the race a complete farce so there was no point, or it was too much to unpick fully. However, you do make a good point about it and it shouldn't be a reason to skip penalties. Lack of consistency in rules and how they are applied yet again...

SiLo

El Scorchio wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 12:40
Magicsenna_41 wrote:
04 Aug 2021, 12:13
unsafe release festival
I love that phrase! It was absolute chaos in the pits. I wonder if they decided there was so much of it that they'd end up basically penalising 3/4 of the field and making the race a complete farce so there was no point, or it was too much to unpick fully. However, you do make a good point about it and it shouldn't be a reason to skip penalties. Lack of consistency in rules and how they are applied yet again...
I think they need to stop with this "3/4 of the field did it so it's ok" thing. Especially on safety grounds. If there were multiple unsafe releases they needed to penalise all of them.
Felipe Baby!