2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
maxxer
maxxer

Re: 2021 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, July 30 - Aug 01

Wouter wrote:
05 Aug 2021, 11:35
Andres125sx wrote:
05 Aug 2021, 07:36
Kingshark wrote:
05 Aug 2021, 06:31

He was 2.5 seconds per lap faster. He had better tyres and a much better car. He also had a stronger engine and more top speed. An overtake doesn’t get any easier than that.
Much faster car
Softer compound tires
Around 13 laps less in the tires
Much stronger PU
DRS
Hamilton at the wheel

If someone can find any other scenario where an overtake should be done faster than this, please tell me

But some Lewis fans simply can´t accept it and will find excuses even in the moon phase :lol: :lol:
It was very clear. Alonso was given once again a masterclass in defending.
This time against a 7 time WC , who had a faster car/PU, better/younger tires and DRS!!
Lewis was exhausted after the battle. :D
Very impressive after being away to get into a car and halfway the season be so at comfort with it.
RIC should watch the race a few times and learn :D

Noble29
Noble29

SiLo wrote:
05 Aug 2021, 13:04
It was pretty obvious that all Alonso needed to do was be fast in the last corner and then not make a mistake at the first corner. T3 around the outside is always going to be difficult if the other driver is willing to compromise his line through it to the extent Alonso was.

Don't really need to discuss it further, feels more like people just wanting to "win " an argument rather than accept the facts of what actually happened.
Agree with this. I don't post often at all on here because it's difficult enough to read somethings that are posted let alone getting involved [I've lurked these forums for best part of 10 years now], but you've hit nail on head. 2.5 seconds quicker over a lap is meaningless when it comes to trying to overtake in only 1 section of circuit [you know the saying, catching is one thing, passing is quite another. It's not said without literal meaning].

Just feel it's an another race where Max has been unfortunate so to make up for that, we need to poke fun at Lewis not being able to pass someone immediately. I'm not saying Lewis isn't immune to criticism, but I can't see what else he was meant to do, or should I say, anything he was doing wrong, in his attempt to make the pass possible. Alonso just done the basics very well through the final 2 corners more than anything else.

Roo
Roo

Noble29 wrote:
05 Aug 2021, 13:10
SiLo wrote:
It was pretty obvious that all Alonso needed to do was be fast in the last corner and then not make a mistake at the first corner. T3 around the outside is always going to be difficult if the other driver is willing to compromise his line through it to the extent Alonso was.

Don't really need to discuss it further, feels more like people just wanting to "win " an argument rather than accept the facts of what actually happened.
Agree with this. I don't post often at all on here because it's difficult enough to read somethings that are posted let alone getting involved [I've lurked these forums for best part of 10 years now], but you've hit nail on head. 2.5 seconds quicker over a lap is meaningless when it comes to trying to overtake in only 1 section of circuit [you know the saying, catching is one thing, passing is quite another. It's not said without literal meaning].

Just feel it's an another race where Max has been unfortunate so to make up for that, we need to poke fun at Lewis not being able to pass someone immediately. I'm not saying Lewis isn't immune to criticism, but I can't see what else he was meant to do, or should I say, anything he was doing wrong, in his attempt to make the pass possible. Alonso just done the basics very well through the final 2 corners more than anything else.
Agree with both; i was more disapointed with Alonso's comments, and how he seemed to intermate he was "trying his best" for Max, at defending, rather than racing. That wasn't something I'd expected from a 2 times WDC. In addition, Ocon's social media posts are gaslighting. It seems politically, sides are appearing in public, more than I've seen for a while.

Something I'd like to see is the FIA get to grip with what drivers and teams post on social media to gaslight fans. They're not taking responsibility for what they same, they're condoning actions. That isn't enough.

Wouter

SiLo wrote:

Don't really need to discuss it further, feels more like people just wanting to "win " an argument
rather than accept the facts of what actually happened.
Even Ross Brawn said it was a masterclass and he did a great job and so did a lot of other people.
Most team principals congratulated Alonso for his great driving defence.

They all didn't "accept the facts of what actually happened." :lol:
The Power of Dreams!

erudite450
erudite450

Roo wrote:
05 Aug 2021, 13:22
Noble29 wrote:
SiLo wrote:

Agree with both; i was more disapointed with Alonso's comments, and how he seemed to intermate he was "trying his best" for Max, at defending, rather than racing. That wasn't something I'd expected from a 2 times WDC. In addition, Ocon's social media posts are gaslighting. It seems politically, sides are appearing in public, more than I've seen for a while.

Something I'd like to see is the FIA get to grip with what drivers and teams post on social media to gaslight fans. They're not taking responsibility for what they same, they're condoning actions. That isn't enough.
What did Ocon post?

El Scorchio

I don't think Alonso meant he defended extra hard as some sort of smite on Hamilton or preference for Verstappen, if that's what some people are reading into it- just that he was trying to keep his integrity for the WDC- and also of course to keep the win for his team mate. He would come under all sorts of criticism if he didn't defend the position as hard as possible in terms of the WDC battle, and also for costing his team mate a win, because if Hamilton had got past quickly, then he'd have easily had enough laps to pass the two leaders.

Wouter

erudite450 wrote:
05 Aug 2021, 13:43
Roo wrote:
Noble29 wrote:

What did Ocon post?
The Power of Dreams!

aMessageToCharlie
aMessageToCharlie

Yep... Definitely agree with "Roo" there. Ocon needs to be cancelled for his obvious gaslighting/misinformation/hatespeech. Alarm the FIA :lol: :lol: :lol: #-o

El Scorchio

I don't see anything out of order at all from Ocon there. He's quite right to thank Alonso, because he wouldn't have won the race without his team mate's efforts.

Roo
Roo

Wouter wrote:
05 Aug 2021, 14:00
erudite450 wrote:
Roo wrote:

What did Ocon post?
https://www.facebook.com/estebannocon

El Scorchio

Roo wrote:
05 Aug 2021, 14:18
Wouter wrote:
erudite450 wrote:

What did Ocon post?
To be fair, he does just seem to like being a bit of a s*** stirrer, but he seems to be giving it out equally.

Roo
Roo

aMessageToCharlie wrote:
05 Aug 2021, 14:15
Yep... Definitely agree with "Roo" there. Ocon needs to be cancelled for his obvious gaslighting/misinformation/hatespeech. Alarm the FIA :lol: :lol: :lol: #-o
Thank!.. I'm not sure my focus was solely on Ocon over the last few weeks what has been posted to social media, at best, hasnt been great.

Big Tea

El Scorchio wrote:
05 Aug 2021, 13:57
I don't think Alonso meant he defended extra hard as some sort of smite on Hamilton or preference for Verstappen, if that's what some people are reading into it- just that he was trying to keep his integrity for the WDC- and also of course to keep the win for his team mate. He would come under all sorts of criticism if he didn't defend the position as hard as possible in terms of the WDC battle, and also for costing his team mate a win, because if Hamilton had got past quickly, then he'd have easily had enough laps to pass the two leaders.
And of course he knew it was 'air time' for him and his team, who usually just get also ran status.
His sponsors will be happy, as will Alonso come contract time. The consummate professional (not a fan of his BTW, just have to admire it)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Wouter

Roo wrote:
05 Aug 2021, 14:18
Wouter wrote:
erudite450 wrote:

What did Ocon post?
I don't have a Facebook account. What does he say? Can you quote it? Thanks in advance.
The Power of Dreams!

aMessageToCharlie
aMessageToCharlie

That's some random person's fan page, folks, so put back your pitch forks and censorship demands.