Will Electric Vehicles Be Viable? When?

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Will Electric Vehicles Be Viable? When?

Zynerji wrote:
13 Aug 2021, 15:04
maxxer wrote:
13 Aug 2021, 13:24
maxxer wrote:
13 Aug 2021, 13:16

So far i have managed and i am looking into getting an eBike to get to city and all. If there would be more car sharing in my city it would even reduce the need further for me to own a car. Long haul cargo can also be done with trains instead of trucking all through europe. even f1 could use trains to move the motorhomes and all if they really want to.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/f1-co ... 4/4984184/

actually F1 is looking into it with the gin palaces :)
Dumbest. Idea. Ever.

Why would you get rid of THE off-track attraction of the F1 circus?

Woke F1™ is becoming an exercise in self-harm, and its ridiculous!
The motorhomes behind the pits are team only (people directly invited by the team) so they're not relevant to the general watching public. They are a nice place to retire to for a quiet coffee and cake, however. I remember the early 2000s so I have no doubt the the current ones are palaces compared to the nice things they had back then. I enjoyed myself quietly watching a well known TV personality having a good stare at the young lasses performing the waitress duties one day. Even funnier when said person caught my eye and then looked very sheepish. 8) :lol: Sadly, I no longer know anyone in the paddock so couldn't get anywhere other than the public spaces these days. :(
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zynerji

Just_a_fan wrote:
13 Aug 2021, 16:17
Zynerji wrote:
maxxer wrote:

Dumbest. Idea. Ever.

The motorhomes behind the pits are team only (people directly invited by the team) so they're not relevant to the general watching public. They are a nice place to retire to for a quiet coffee and cake, however. I remember the early 2000s so I have no doubt the the current ones are palaces compared to the nice things they had back then. I enjoyed myself quietly watching a well known TV personality having a good stare at the young lasses performing the waitress duties one day. Even funnier when said person caught my eye and then looked very sheepish. 8) :lol: Sadly, I no longer know anyone in the paddock so couldn't get anywhere other than the public spaces these days. :(
Its not a glamour sport if you remove the glamour :?

maxxer
maxxer

Just_a_fan wrote:
Zynerji wrote:
maxxer wrote:

Dumbest. Idea. Ever.

Used to work in the expo business and the hostesses .... But thats all over with nowadays anyway

maxxer
maxxer

Just_a_fan wrote:
Zynerji wrote:
maxxer wrote:

Dumbest. Idea. Ever.

So there is no glamour to the sports when they are on fly aways? Every country can build you a temporary hosting facility of 3 stories including an elevator much more glamerous then a truck extending its sides

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Zynerji wrote:
13 Aug 2021, 16:24
Just_a_fan wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

Dumbest. Idea. Ever.

Its not a glamour sport if you remove the glamour :?
Yeah, I guess you're right there. Perhaps they could introduce more fan-oriented stuff instead. I remember, for example, going to Silverstone in '96 for the GP. There was a massive amount of stuff to see/do, lots of food vans, lots of merchandise shops both official ones and general shops, etc.. Went a few years ago and all there was were some official merchandise shops - one for each team and the FIA basically, and some very expensive food vans. Add to that the high price of the tickets and it felt very much like a case of "you're here now so put up with what we can be bothered to give you". It felt much less special an event.

I wonder if they'll dump the F1 Paddock Club. I bet not. Now that is where the real glamour stuff is - the teams have chunks of it to entertain and you see a few "names" in there.

As for the accusations of being woke, in a world where the environmental damage of cars, trucks, planes, etc., is questioned almost daily, it's quite hard for F1 to excuse themselves such things as this:
When F1 races in Austria, Budapest is just 400kms away. But instead of heading straight there, F1 first travels to Silverstone and then back to Hungary - a round trip of some 3400kms.

The difference between those 375 F1 and support event trucks travelling 400kms or 3400kms equates to some 1.125 million kilometres of extra diesel usage.
Now some of that is just down to scheduling, but it's much easier to sell F1 to a sceptical public if you can show that it's not (apparently) bad for the environment. And there's no good the fans crying about it, it's the world we live in now - the vast majority of the world has no interest in motorsport - most of them are too busy trying to feed their kids and not get shot/blown up in conflicts.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

maxxer wrote:
13 Aug 2021, 16:36
Just_a_fan wrote:
Zynerji wrote:

Dumbest. Idea. Ever.

So there is no glamour to the sports when they are on fly aways? Every country can build you a temporary hosting facility of 3 stories including an elevator much more glamerous then a truck extending its sides
Exactly so, and that's what Brawn is saying they should do - in deed, it's what they do in most cases as the European season is the fewer races than the non-European part of the season.

El Scorchio

Just_a_fan wrote:
13 Aug 2021, 16:45
maxxer wrote:
13 Aug 2021, 16:36
Just_a_fan wrote:

Exactly so, and that's what Brawn is saying they should do - in deed, it's what they do in most cases as the European season is the fewer races than the non-European part of the season.
Agree. Let's be honest, the hospitality motorhomes (which is really what we are talking about here) are hardly essential. It's nice to see them in the team colours etc, but do we miss them for the fly away races? Absolutely not. It might well involve FOM putting their hands in their pockets for a good solution for the European circuits though, as I'm sure most do not have the space or money to do things like China, Bahrain, Abu Dhabi etc.

Even if it's just sticking some nice false frontage onto some generic motorhomes or similar, it's mainly irrelevant to us considering what we are shown on TV. There's hardly tonnes of footage shot inside them.

TBH, I've been in one of them as well. Granted it was 'only' a smaller team, but not glamourous at all, really.

Jolle
Jolle

Very off topic, but getting rid of those monsters of palaces for the European races might actually be very healthy for the bottom end of the grid. These costs aren’t covered by the cap, so it’s a direct saving for them and the money saved, can go straight into car development. Side effect can be that for choosing which team to sponsor (big spot on a small team or a small one on a big teams car), it’s less about where you’ll get your coffee.

Zynerji

Jolle wrote:
13 Aug 2021, 17:48
Very off topic, but getting rid of those monsters of palaces for the European races might actually be very healthy for the bottom end of the grid. These costs aren’t covered by the cap, so it’s a direct saving for them and the money saved, can go straight into car development. Side effect can be that for choosing which team to sponsor (big spot on a small team or a small one on a big teams car), it’s less about where you’ll get your coffee.
Bigger motor homes, bigger space for sponsors!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Zynerji wrote:
14 Aug 2021, 04:51
Jolle wrote:
13 Aug 2021, 17:48
Bigger motor homes, bigger space for sponsors!
But the point is that they're not getting rid of places for the teams to entertain sponsors. Most of the time those places are actually real buildings at the circuit. It's only the historic European season races that don't have the purpose built facilities because they weren't a thing when the circuits were being built. The modern circuits around the world have these facilities so the motorhome approach isn't required.

I think it's an effort by the FIA to get the circuits to build suitable buildings at the circuits for the teams. Whether that will happen is the question.

nzjrs

My intuition is that some level of fancy hospitality is expected by the sponsors in exchange for the sponsorship money. I'd be curious to be a fly on the wall in sponsorship negotiations to see how these extra benefits are sold.

Big Tea

Zynerji wrote:
11 Aug 2021, 00:46
We just need rectennas that are tuned to the big bang frequency! 🤣
Funny you should say that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl_wGRfbc3w

I think perhaps this is the equivalent of silly season though

Edit. Unless you can get a dipole effect to give PD?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Zynerji

Big Tea wrote:
14 Aug 2021, 16:24
Zynerji wrote:

This is going to sound stupid, but I think the "transponder" motors from the 2008 Speed Racer movie is based upon this...😲

Big Tea

Zynerji wrote:
14 Aug 2021, 17:08
Big Tea wrote:
14 Aug 2021, 16:24
Zynerji wrote:

This is going to sound stupid, but I think the "transponder" motors from the 2008 Speed Racer movie is based upon this...😲
Many things have beginnings in sci-fi gadgets. Look up some old 'Dick Tracy' comics.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdUmm56T_0E)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Andres125sx

This thread has derailed massively, pleas mods, clean it up