2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
adrianjordan

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

Yeah. The ckickbait is strong with that one!!

I'm not sure how they can argue insider trading. Toto is mates with Stroll. It's not like Toto was employed by Stroll. For all we know Toto talked Stroll into buying AM!! I don't think that qualifies as insider trading.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

adrianjordan wrote: ↑
24 Aug 2021, 20:05

I'm not sure how they can argue insider trading. Toto is mates with Stroll. It's not like Toto was employed by Stroll. For all we know Toto talked Stroll into buying AM!! I don't think that qualifies as insider trading.
I don't know, but I think it's more about Toto having insider knowledge about Daimler/Mercedes-Benz buying Aston Martin shares and collaborating on future projects.

But personally I don't think there's any case to answer, or at least anything that could be proved.

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... z6oAV.html

Another article from Mark Hughes, this time about comparisons between Mercedes and Red Bull's rear wings.

adrianjordan

Marty_Y wrote: ↑
24 Aug 2021, 21:32

I don't know, but I think it's more about Toto having insider knowledge about Daimler/Mercedes-Benz buying Aston Martin shares and collaborating on future projects.

But personally I don't think there's any case to answer, or at least anything that could be proved.
Again, isn't it more likely that he was instrumental in convincing Merc to buy those shares given his position within the company?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

there's likely more to it, if it was 'as simple as that' then there wouldn't be an actual investigation.
let's say it's like the pink mercs. its pretty obvious that some card has been played, and the only thing that really 'got em' was that brake duct. I guess this investigation will be like that 'brake duct'.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

24 Aug 2021, 21:37

Another article from Mark Hughes, this time about comparisons between Mercedes and Red Bull's rear wings.
And fails to mention the upgrades brought by Mercedes which will have increased floor-created downforce and so allowed a smaller rear wing to be used.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

Just_a_fan wrote: ↑
24 Aug 2021, 22:40

And fails to mention the upgrades brought by Mercedes which will have increased floor-created downforce and so allowed a smaller rear wing to be used.
Yep that's definitely changed the equation for Mercedes going forward.

dans79

24 Aug 2021, 23:04

The new rears seems to have widend the set-up window as well.
201 105 104 9 9 7

b2bL44
b2bL44

The Silverstone upgrades article is linked right in the middle of the page.

b2bL44
b2bL44

dans79 wrote: ↑
25 Aug 2021, 01:45

It has been repeatedly mentioned that the rear tyres have not helped nor hindered any teams:
The tougher rear tyres introduced by Pirelli in the wake of the Baku blow-outs were used for the first time at Silverstone. Coinciding with the Mercedes resurgence. But does correlation equal causation in this case?

The tyres are of a tougher construction which should allow Pirelli not to have to stipulate the minimum pressure increases that would otherwise have been necessary. But they behave in much the same way as before. Neither teams nor drivers are reporting any significant change in how they feel and respond.

Pirelli is not expecting a significant rear grip increase from the changes and as such it would seem unlikely to be the explanation behind the Red Bull's severe understeer problems in Hungary.
https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/32420 ... liffhanger

dans79

b2bL44 wrote: ↑
25 Aug 2021, 05:38
It has been repeatedly mentioned that the rear tyres have not helped nor hindered any teams:
The tougher rear tyres introduced by Pirelli in the wake of the Baku blow-outs were used for the first time at Silverstone. Coinciding with the Mercedes resurgence. But does correlation equal causation in this case?

The tyres are of a tougher construction which should allow Pirelli not to have to stipulate the minimum pressure increases that would otherwise have been necessary. But they behave in much the same way as before. Neither teams nor drivers are reporting any significant change in how they feel and respond.

Pirelli is not expecting a significant rear grip increase from the changes and as such it would seem unlikely to be the explanation behind the Red Bull's severe understeer problems in Hungary.

Just because they behave the same, doesn't mean it doesn't help one team and hurt another. I highlighted the important bit.

Over the last several seasons Mercedes has struggled anytime the tire pressures have been high. Several opinions exist as to why that is, but when you look at the data you can see it.
201 105 104 9 9 7

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

25 Aug 2021, 05:35

Yes but it's not discussed as part of the article and thus appears not to be considered important. The two paragraphs about Silverstone fail to mention the upgrade. And yet Red Bull's upgrades are mentioned elsewhere as why they won in Austria.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

flmkane
flmkane

25 Aug 2021, 05:38
dans79 wrote: ↑
25 Aug 2021, 01:45

Given the sketchy history of Pirelli f1 tires, I wouldn't believe a single word they say.

Different cars and drivers have always needed different tire pressures.

Juzh

25 Aug 2021, 08:42
25 Aug 2021, 05:35

Yes but it's not discussed as part of the article and thus appears not to be considered important. The two paragraphs about Silverstone fail to mention the upgrade. And yet Red Bull's upgrades are mentioned elsewhere as why they won in Austria.
Extra strange especially because prior to this update mercedes very obviously had to run barn door rear wing almost every race and then suddenly didn't have to after update. Correlation is so obvious in this case it shouldn't be just swept aside.

SiLo

Manoah2u wrote: ↑
24 Aug 2021, 22:38

there's likely more to it, if it was 'as simple as that' then there wouldn't be an actual investigation.
let's say it's like the pink mercs. its pretty obvious that some card has been played, and the only thing that really 'got em' was that brake duct. I guess this investigation will be like that 'brake duct'.
It was a load of rubbish from a rubbish newspaper in Canada. Already been dismissed by the regulators:

https://www.ft.com/content/243b02b8-eda ... 6a66bf154f
Felipe Baby!