2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

NathanOlder wrote:
26 Aug 2021, 18:29
Big Tea wrote:
26 Aug 2021, 17:38
Are they able to 'wring the neck' of this engine to get the last drop of performance if before changing it if they plan for a wet race and it happens to be dry at race time?
They obviously know how much they can take out of it by going to the extreme, and as long as it does not actually destruct it may be an ace in the hole if a change catches everyone and others are not intending to kill the engine.
All the teams push their engines as hard as they dare. Neither Merc or RedBull can afford a break down in a race, so I don't see how they can push an engine any harder than they usually would.
Indeed. Unless it's a new engine at the end of the season such as Hamilton had in Brazil in 2017, the teams won't be wanting to overly push a PU harder than they have to. Of course, if it's "win or bust" then they might just go for it as there's nothing to lose. But otherwise, PU life is carefully husbanded.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Big Tea

NathanOlder wrote:
26 Aug 2021, 18:29
Big Tea wrote:
26 Aug 2021, 17:38
Are they able to 'wring the neck' of this engine to get the last drop of performance if before changing it if they plan for a wet race and it happens to be dry at race time?
They obviously know how much they can take out of it by going to the extreme, and as long as it does not actually destruct it may be an ace in the hole if a change catches everyone and others are not intending to kill the engine.
All the teams push their engines as hard as they dare. Neither Merc or RedBull can afford a break down in a race, so I don't see how they can push an engine any harder than they usually would.
I meant if they delay a change by one event. As long as they could get it to the finish here, they can change for the next event so would have a 'free' race, if the engine survives. And I mean on numbers not actual damage of course, like delaying an oil change if you are changing the car a week later.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Originally the season was 24 races, 8 races for each powerunit. Now with all cancellations it looks like it will be 21 races. The stricken powerunit did 4 weekends. So that would remain only 17 races for 2 powerunits.

So it would be 8,5 weekend per powerunit, instead of 8. Could be possible with some sensible downtuning and limited practice runs?

Wouter

NL_Fer wrote:
26 Aug 2021, 19:19
Originally the season was 24 races, 8 races for each powerunit. Now with all cancellations it looks like it will be 21 races. The stricken powerunit did 4 weekends. So that would remain only 17 races for 2 powerunits.

So it would be 8,5 weekend per powerunit, instead of 8. Could be possible with some sensible downtuning and limited practice runs?
You forget that they have to use as much power as possible to beat Mercedes, and on top of that
there are two Sprint qualifying weekends, where they also have to use the race PU all Friday too.
While they normally use an old PU for that.
The Power of Dreams!

dans79

https://www.racefans.net/2021/08/26/ver ... f-service/
Max Verstappen will be unable to use the engine which was damaged in his heavy British Grand Prix crash, Honda have confirmed.

The manufacturer originally gave Red Bull the all-clear to continue using Verstappen’s RA621H power unit, the second which had been fitted to his car this year, after he tested it in practice for the Hungarian Grand Prix. However, following further inspection it was replaced on the morning of the race.

Honda has now confirmed the engine cannot be used. It’s a further blow for Red Bull, who also lost the power unit which was in Sergio Perez’s car when he was involved in a first-lap crash at the last race.
201 105 104 9 9 7

Jolle
Jolle

My guess is a new engine in Russia. There is also a off chance that more races will be cancelled. An engine could take around 7 races, and, including Hungary there are 11. If, somehow, the Americas can’t go on, it’s down to eight.
Also, in Russia, you can start from the back, take your pit stop on lap 1 and go to the end (like Rosberg did at the first GP there).
To many variables to take one at the next three races.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

In Dutch:

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

aMessageToCharlie
aMessageToCharlie

After "RB13 - unlucky for some"

I would like to propose "RB18 - barely legal" for the new car. :mrgreen:

Jolle
Jolle

aMessageToCharlie wrote:
27 Aug 2021, 15:34

https://www.grandprix247.com/wp-content ... RB13-1.jpg

Let’s hope it won’t fall to the same fate as the MP4/18

JPower
JPower

Jolle wrote:
27 Aug 2021, 16:30
aMessageToCharlie wrote:
27 Aug 2021, 15:34

https://www.grandprix247.com/wp-content ... RB13-1.jpg

Let’s hope it won’t fall to the same fate as the MP4/18
The FW18 was pretty great though.

godlameroso

Good thing the car isn't badly damaged. A hair more rear wing, or was it just getting caught out in the conditions? This is about as bad as the rain is going to get as far as I can see. There's more to come for tomorrow and it seems competitive, we're in for another nail biter.
Saishū kōnā

adrianjordan

Hope that damage to rear end didn't damage PU or gearbox. We've seen all too often a seemingly small tap cause damage.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️