2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ryar

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

PlatinumZealot wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 22:55
This farce of a race saves Max some engine life while still netting 5 points. Not bad actually.
Max would be happy to trade off this farce with Hamilton for the kind of luck he enjoys. Check if that can be done. I am sure Max would readily agree to that.
Hakuna Matata!

Dee
Dee

godlameroso wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 03:04
Dee wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 02:03
godlameroso wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 22:38
It's fine, next race will be worth it, been running around the F1 layout version. Good turn in is important, however traction out of corners is the most important for lap time. Luckily the banking helps cornering particularly turn 3, very tricky to use the innermost part of the banking. The heavy banking helps cornering speed but hurts you on the exit, taking a slightly wider line sets up the exit with less steering lock but you carry less speed.

The long right of turn 7 takes just a lift, and although you can make up some time there, the following 2 corners are more important so a bit of a sacrifice through 7 to ensure 8 9 and 10 are done right is more important.

Overtaking will be possible if you get a good run out of 13 because of the high downforce needed for the slow-mid speed corners.

High 1:09 for pole?
How are RB vs Merc set for it? Merc seem to have better traction out of corners imo
Agreed, ever since Bahrain Merc have had better corner exit from medium speed corners. Mercedes was faster in turn 11, they could get on the power earlier. That's really important around Zandvoort, however the RB16B is very close and has improved in that area, if RBR gets the balance right they'll be extremely strong. Although the Mercedes has great corner exit, the RBR is better at long trail braking(as shown in turn 10, and sector 3 in Paul Ricard). I can't say who will be faster.

After more running on the virtual track, my comment still stands, corner exit is more important, although corner entry sets up the exit. So it should be extremely close, maybe the RBR gains a little on entry but loses it on exit for a net draw.

3, 9, 10 and the exit of 12 and 13 are the hardest corners to nail, and where all the time is. 7 is very fun, but I wouldn't say it's a super critical corner.

The time you gain and lose in 1 seems to be irrelevant for the overall lap, because 1 leads into 2 which leads into 3 and 3 is where all the lap time is gained or lost.
Very interesting, thanks for this feedback!

Mercedes have updates coming for Zandvoort (1000% sure they have targeted it all season as a win they really want) and 1000% sure RB have things up their sleeve as well so cannot wait to see what they will be.

Consider this though. RB, due to Silverstone, Hungary and now Spa have had basically over two months of no data on their updates and new tyres vs Mercedes doing a lot with data from Lewis and Bottas. So whatever RB are bringing to Zandvoort will not have been tested or at least not be based on current race data. On the other hand, RB have Verstappen and his in depth knowledge of how that circuit is and what it needs from the car...

godlameroso

Verstappen finished the race in Hungary, he did the whole race and got to grip with the new rear tires. He also did all of practice and qualifying and the sprint race. Hamilton has more experience only from doing Silverstone GP.
Saishū kōnā

Dee
Dee

godlameroso wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 04:51
Verstappen finished the race in Hungary, he did the whole race and got to grip with the new rear tires. He also did all of practice and qualifying and the sprint race. Hamilton has more experience only from doing Silverstone GP.
Max was not driving the RB16 in Hungary, I'm sure you have seen the picture where one entire side of the bardgeboard was gone including underfloor damage as well. He was 2 seconds a lap off the pace.

17 laps of a qualifying race when Max never raced on the harder tyre is not enough...

Come on now.

Mercedes have had Silverstone and Hungary to see what's going on. RB with Max have had nothing in comparison

GOAT

PlatinumZealot wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 22:55
This farce of a race saves Max some engine life while still netting 5 points. Not bad actually.
I couldn’t agree more, well said.

Let’s see if your wish comes true- next weekend.

Jolle
Jolle

Dee wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 04:17
godlameroso wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 03:04
Dee wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 02:03

How are RB vs Merc set for it? Merc seem to have better traction out of corners imo
Agreed, ever since Bahrain Merc have had better corner exit from medium speed corners. Mercedes was faster in turn 11, they could get on the power earlier. That's really important around Zandvoort, however the RB16B is very close and has improved in that area, if RBR gets the balance right they'll be extremely strong. Although the Mercedes has great corner exit, the RBR is better at long trail braking(as shown in turn 10, and sector 3 in Paul Ricard). I can't say who will be faster.

After more running on the virtual track, my comment still stands, corner exit is more important, although corner entry sets up the exit. So it should be extremely close, maybe the RBR gains a little on entry but loses it on exit for a net draw.

3, 9, 10 and the exit of 12 and 13 are the hardest corners to nail, and where all the time is. 7 is very fun, but I wouldn't say it's a super critical corner.

The time you gain and lose in 1 seems to be irrelevant for the overall lap, because 1 leads into 2 which leads into 3 and 3 is where all the lap time is gained or lost.
Very interesting, thanks for this feedback!

Mercedes have updates coming for Zandvoort (1000% sure they have targeted it all season as a win they really want) and 1000% sure RB have things up their sleeve as well so cannot wait to see what they will be.

Consider this though. RB, due to Silverstone, Hungary and now Spa have had basically over two months of no data on their updates and new tyres vs Mercedes doing a lot with data from Lewis and Bottas. So whatever RB are bringing to Zandvoort will not have been tested or at least not be based on current race data. On the other hand, RB have Verstappen and his in depth knowledge of how that circuit is and what it needs from the car...
Verstappen’s only race at Zandvoort was the masters, his knowledge of the circuit isn’t special compared to the other drivers. Up to now, the circuit has only been used for DTM, the masters and club racing.

ispano6

Here's a video of Max running an older generation F1 car on the track. With the shorter practice sessions compared to previous years it's crucial to have had as much accurate simulator time and any prior running on the track. RedBull and Max may have a small but crucial advantage. Kind of like how Anthony Davidson took the current Mercedes car out on Silverstone and used that session for the simulator and set up for the sprint race. These outings aren't meaningless.

DChemTech
DChemTech

Jolle wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 07:57

Verstappen’s only race at Zandvoort was the masters, his knowledge of the circuit isn’t special compared to the other drivers. Up to now, the circuit has only been used for DTM, the masters and club racing.
And Bottas won the masters twice..

Oh yeah, get ready for Bottas 4.528b.v2_final_for_real (or wherever we are now)

Wouter

ispano6 wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 08:43
Here's a video of Max running an older generation F1 car on the track. With the shorter practice sessions compared to previous years it's crucial to have had as much accurate simulator time and any prior running on the track.
RedBull and Max may have a small but crucial advantage.
Kind of like how Anthony Davidson took the current Mercedes car out on Silverstone and used that session for the simulator and set up for the sprint race. These outings aren't meaningless.

https://youtu.be/DayWdEYy2qg
Max drove a few laps there with a demo car, which contains a Renault PU, on hard demo tires.
The data you get from that is of no use at all for driving the RB16B and the Honda PU.
When in a few days the teams drive FP1 with the current car, they will get real information that they can do something with.
The Power of Dreams!

Pany
Pany

Looks quite a dangerous track. Very little space beside the track and spectators. Looks fun, but those curves..... little scary

godlameroso

Dee wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 05:06
godlameroso wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 04:51
Max was not driving the RB16 in Hungary, I'm sure you have seen the picture where one entire side of the bardgeboard was gone including underfloor damage as well. He was 2 seconds a lap off the pace.

17 laps of a qualifying race when Max never raced on the harder tyre is not enough...

Come on now.

Mercedes have had Silverstone and Hungary to see what's going on. RB with Max have had nothing in comparison
Did someone else jump in the car? Damaged or not he still had more pace than all but one car, and did all 70 laps. That counts for something, unlike Bottas last few races, at least Verstappen scored points.
Saishū kōnā

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

Any predictions of when Red Bull will take the engine penalties for Max and Perez? I'd assume they do it at Austin.

Sieper

I think so too. ideal track with lots of room to overtake.

Jolle
Jolle

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 15:39
Any predictions of when Red Bull will take the engine penalties for Max and Perez? I'd assume they do it at Austin.
My guess is Russia. You can start from the back, take an early pitstop and do 90% of the GP on the hard tires.

JordanMugen

Pany wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 10:30
Looks quite a dangerous track. Very little space beside the track and spectators. Looks fun, but those curves..... little scary
It's a racing track. They are supposed to be like that. If the track doesn't feel like a rollercoaster, then back to the drawing board! :)

Evidence: Suzuka, Mugello, Nordschliefe, Bathurst