Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
JordanMugen

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

adrianjordan wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 09:08
Really? You're using Hungary to claim that Latiffi is better?
Anti-Russell factions seem to have some very strong opinions! :)

More balanced observers tend to note that all evidence points to Russell being a top level driver who would perform very well in a top car, at least better than Bottas who is the only driver Russell needs to outscore (hypothetically speaking, Mercedes vs Mercedes).

Of course anti-Russell factions also note that Russell "choked" when given the opportunity to defeat Bottas in a Mercedes vs Mercedes battle. #-o

ringo wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 03:40
its hard to base anything on a qually with constantly changing conditions.
Exactly. That is precisely why Russell needs to be in a Mercedes, so we can compare Russell and Hamilton over a season properly!

There were folks, after all, who didn't want Leclerc in a Ferrari, claiming Leclerc would be too inexperienced compared to seasoned Raikkonen. Yet Ferrari made the call, found out Leclerc could not only match Vettel but outperform Vettel, and have therefore made some great improvements in their driver lineup -- bringing in not just Leclerc, but also Sainz, both drivers seemingly individually a step above either Vettel or Raikkonen. And as a pairing? A superb pairing -- arguably the best in the field! =D>

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

adrianjordan wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 09:04
Manoah2u wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 01:55
Look, I'm as big a fan of George as anyone and would love to see him in the Merc. Frankly I don't see any really good argument for not putting him in that car.
I personally hope he is signed to Mercedes, but you can't say there are no good arguments against doing so.

- Mercedes don't need Russell to win the WDC or WCC.
- Hamilton isn't retiring next year, and perhaps not the year after that, so succession planning isn't as crucial as originally thought.
- putting Russell in may elevate the tension within Mercedes, by upsetting #1's apple cart.
- they could easily keep Russell on a retainer for another year now that the Williams is proving to be more competitive, and see if he really is the real deal during races.

ringo

adrianjordan wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 09:08
ringo wrote:
I think there is an over reaction. See Hulkenberg in Brasil 2010 pole lap. He destroyed the field.
Reason? Tyre temperature.
Russel would have to run a completey convincing wet race to say he will be destroying anybody in a faster car. So far Latifi has the most points when it mattered and Russel had the whole of Hungary to try to be ahead of latifi at the checkered flag. Dont get me wrong, the kid is really talented.. but i think with how these tyres and cars work.. its hard to base anything on a qually with constantly changing conditions.
Really? You're using Hungary to claim that Latiffi is better?

A weekend where Russell set a faster lap time in every session? On a circuit that is second only to Monaco in terms of overtaking difficultily? In a race where an accident created a freak set of results and where George told the team to compromise his race if it helped his teammate?

That race was an outlier and does not represent the true balance of performance between those teammates.
I know Russel is better than Latifi..

But i am using the same logic as those who think this performance means he is going to "destroy" Hamitlon or Max or anyone else in the same car. This is suggesting he is as much as quarter per second a lap faster than anyone else.
So if this were the case.. why didnt he use that alien like ability to beat Latifi in Hungary?

He had the whole race to do it and could not. Which was my point. He is very good. But the mere fact he did not beat Latifi in Hungary was proof that he is not as Alienly fast as most people are thing deducing from this qualy session.
For Sure!!

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

This latest generation is so talented, hard to stand out in a midfield car. LeClerc, Sainz, Norris, Russel,

Jolle
Jolle

NL_Fer wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 19:49
This latest generation is so talented, hard to stand out in a midfield car. LeClerc, Sainz, Norris, Russel,
They might not stand out for the TV viewers, who see them a few laps per race, but trackside and in the paddock there is quite a good understanding who’s good and who is average.

Zynerji

NL_Fer wrote:
29 Aug 2021, 19:49
Ocon, Stroll, Gasly...

Ryar

ringo wrote:
So far Latifi has the most points when it mattered and
Not anymore. Russell now has a Podium in a Williams!!!
One less excuse. :lol:
Hakuna Matata!

ringo

Yes he was handed a podium without driving for it. He still got outscored by Latifi in racing.
For Sure!!

adrianjordan

ringo wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 04:36
Yes he was handed a podium without driving for it. He still got outscored by Latifi in racing.
He earned that second place by qualifying 2nd.

Latiffi did not out race Russell in Austria. He was lucky as the start to end up where he did and then Russell got screwed at the restart by where his pit box was. Put this another way, discounting the pit lane mix up, Lattifi lost more places than George did during the race.

By your logic Latiffi is a better driver than Verstappen, Ricciardo and Raikonnen, because he beat him too despite being in a Williams. Wow, this Latiffi, must be the next Senna!!

Come on. No-one serious actually believes Latiffi is better than Russell, or has out raced him.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Ryar

ringo wrote:
Just like Timo Glock's last minute issue handed the title to Hamilton in 2008, without earning it on merit!

It's time for some people to admit that they are scared of George going against their beloved Lewis in a Mercedes!
Hakuna Matata!

BassVirolla

Ryar wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 09:43
ringo wrote:
Just like Timo Glock's last minute issue handed the title to Hamilton in 2008, without earning it on merit!

It's time for some people to admit that they are scared of George going against their beloved Lewis in a Mercedes!
And someone called Lewis who says he is very pleased to have Bottas driving a Merc has to admit it too...

ringo

You are all overreacting.
Under normal circumstances for dozens of laps Latifi had enough pace to stay ahead of GR.
GR is overall better, but latifi has improved a lot and they are pretty much even on race pace. GR is just slightly better in the race.

As for th Glock thing in 2008. No comment from me there. If you pay attention to the details Glock should have pitstop and did not. So there was no way he would have finished ahead of Hamilton. Woulda coulda shoulda. Hamilton could have been rookie champion in 2007 without a gearbox glitch in final race Brazil. That's just racing. I do suspect the FIA had a role to play with that glitch. It would make a good conspiracy.

LH doesnt care who his teammate is. GR will be more to think about yes. But as soon as LH realizes GR is not a threat. George will become the next Bottas or Rosberg.
For Sure!!

Zynerji

ringo wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 17:49
Under normal circumstances for dozens of laps Latifi had enough pace to stay ahead of GR.
GR is overall better, but latifi has improved a lot and they are pretty much even on race pace. GR is just slightly better in the race.

As for th Glock thing in 2008. No comment from me there. If you pay attention to the details Glock should have pitstop and did not. So there was no way he would have finished ahead of Hamilton. Woulda coulda shoulda. Hamilton could have been rookie champion in 2007 without a gearbox glitch in final race Brazil. That's just racing. I do suspect the FIA had a role to play with that glitch. It would make a good conspiracy.

LH doesnt care who his teammate is. GR will be more to think about yes. But as soon as LH realizes GR is not a threat. George will become the next Bottas or Rosberg.
I guess beaching it in the China pitlane didn't lose that WDC?? Just a made-up "glitch" from nefarious sources did?... :wtf:

Ryar

Zynerji wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 18:06
ringo wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 17:49

I guess beaching it in the China pitlane didn't lose that WDC?? Just a made-up "glitch" from nefarious sources did?... :wtf:
That's called selective blindness. You only focus on things that straight away add up to your argument.
Hakuna Matata!

Mr.S
Mr.S

So is Latifi better than Hamilton on race pace given Russel has been far better than Hamilton this season (There's a reason LH got voted 7-8th this season behind Vertsappen, Norris & many others). You can lump him with Leclerc, Russel, Sainz, Gasly, etc. Latifi who has been outqualified every single time & has finished behind every single time (almost) & was overtaken by Mick Schumacher on 1 race. Hamilton has no business time & again commenting that he wants Bottas. He knows on an even fight he can't win the title as he just pipped Bottas in the last 4 runs. He lost to Button, Rosberg & tied with Alonso. That is why he keeps commenting on his preference for Bottas & team cohesion & unity. He has been in this boat & has lost, more than once.

He knows he will be a No. 2 to Russel in the 2nd half of the season when Russel is ahead of him by 50-60 points !