2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
adrianjordan

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

Harvey wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 14:18
adrianjordan wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 14:16
Manoah2u wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 10:14
thats like suggesting he actually signed a new Mercedes contract...............................
Maybe he did.... Who says it's for Mercedes F1? 😉
Could be the finance agreement on that black series!
Haha. True, true. Or the insurance documents lol
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

PlatinumZealot

Looks like a parting gift. I would love to see Bottas be a number 1 even if it's at a slower team.

We will welcome George. I am a fan, but I am afraid it will be another divider among British fans the same way it was with Button and Lewis.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

SiLo

PlatinumZealot wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 15:26
Looks like a parting gift. I would love to see Bottas be a number 1 even if it's at a slower team.

We will welcome George. I am a fan, but I am afraid it will be another divider among British fans the same way it was with Button and Lewis.
When Button came I was annoyed because I liked him but wanted Lewis to win more, but with George coming I find it a nice transition to support both and then follow George after Lewis retires.
Felipe Baby!

Phil

I couldnt care less for Russel. He might be fast or gifted, but after Lewis retires, i’m all in the Leclerc or Norris camp … still have another two seasons after this one to think about this though :D
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Phil wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 17:38
I couldnt care less for Russel. He might be fast or gifted, but after Lewis retires, i’m all in the Leclerc or Norris camp … still have another two seasons after this one to think about this though :D
I'm interested to see how Russell does. He's obviously quick over a single lap, but what's he like over a season of races? All of these guys are quick - it's how they maintain that speed that is interesting. Trulli used to be able to put in some cracking qualifying laps but then in the race it was the Trulli Train as he held up half of the field.

Norris has, I think, proved his pace in qualifying and races. Leclerc is also quick enough and has race winning experience.

Those three plus Max and a sprinkle of Gasly and Ocon, all in cars that are able to compete? Now that sounds like a nailed-on classic season to me.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

zibby43
zibby43

Just_a_fan wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 18:13
Phil wrote:
I'm interested to see how Russell does. He's obviously quick over a single lap, but what's he like over a season of races? All of these guys are quick - it's how they maintain that speed that is interesting. Trulli used to be able to put in some cracking qualifying laps but then in the race it was the Trulli Train as he held up half of the field.

Norris has, I think, proved his pace in qualifying and races. Leclerc is also quick enough and has race winning experience.

Those three plus Max and a sprinkle of Gasly and Ocon, all in cars that are able to compete? Now that sounds like a nailed-on classic season to me.
Russell was plenty fast enough in Sakhir.

He’s done race distances in testing for Merc.

GR is going to be fast everywhere.

On a side note:

Big Tea

zibby43 wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 21:45
Just_a_fan wrote:
Phil wrote:

On a side note:

https://twitter.com/formularacers_/stat ... 48419?s=21
That is interesting. It could mean the lead driver bringing his own (road) Merc with him?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Edax
Edax

zibby43 wrote:

On a side note:

Buy an engine, get a Bottas for free?

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Just_a_fan wrote:
Phil wrote:

Well he beat norris quite comfortably over a season in F2

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

On a side note:

[/quote]

Anything other than a ferrari engine puts and end to the Alfa Romeo title sponsorship surely? And theyve recently signed an extension to that deal.

PlatinumZealot

zibby43 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
Phil wrote:

On a side note:

Sakir is a mickey mouse track though.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

dans79

PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 01:18
zibby43 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

On a side note:

Specially the outer circuit that he raced on!
201 105 104 9 9 7

zibby43
zibby43

PlatinumZealot wrote:
zibby43 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

On a side note:

Every other driver had to race that configuration that weekend, so that doesn’t really hold water in my mind. Went head-to-head with Bottas in equal machinery and I can remember George’s overtakes from that race. Can’t remember any from VB.

Just my opinion. We’ll see if it bears out in due time.

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

zibby43 wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 02:31
PlatinumZealot wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

On a side note:

Every other driver had to race that configuration that weekend, so that doesn’t really hold water in my mind. Went head-to-head with Bottas in equal machinery and I can remember George’s overtakes from that race. Can’t remember any from VB.

My only concern is he had to overtake because he qualified behind Bottas, admittedly it was less than 3 hundredths (0:53.403 Russell, against 0:53.377 Bottas) and he only had a limited amount of time in a car which didn't really fit his tall size and big feet.

I'm not saying he won't be good but it's not a given that he will be better overall than Bottas is, don't get me wrong I think Russell is a very good driver with history in the lower formulas that confirms that but as you say time will tell.

zibby43
zibby43

Marty_Y wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 03:31
zibby43 wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 02:31
PlatinumZealot wrote:

My only concern is he had to overtake because he qualified behind Bottas, admittedly it was less than 3 hundredths (0:53.403 Russell, against 0:53.377 Bottas) and he only had a limited amount of time in a car which didn't really fit his tall size and big feet.

I'm not saying he won't be good but it's not a given that he will be better overall than Bottas is, don't get me wrong I think Russell is a very good driver with history in the lower formulas that confirms that but as you say time will tell.
I’m kind of amazed that he qualified so closely to Bottas, given the unfamiliarity with the machinery and the other issues that you mentioned.

As you said, Bottas is no slouch when it comes to qualifying, having out-qualified the best to ever do it several times. And RUS was right there in a pretty pressure-packed situation.

I guess I’m much more bullish on Russell than some folks here (which is perfectly fine). Merc are pretty bullish on him as well. And I trust their judgment (unless it relates to the weather :)).