2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Mr.S
Mr.S

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Probably US/Mexico/Brazil territory. The race got cancelled so Verstappen's engine is 1 race old. He can do 4 more easily - Holland, Monza, Russia, Turkey. RB won't take both @ the same time. Maybe say in Mexico & another in Brazil. And then you have a new engine for the last 4-5-6 races. That should help in the final stretch. But you do it in a track when you can easily overtake & there will possibly be higher degradation with a 2 stop increasing potential tyre differential. That may Max & Perez can get to a P4-P5 type result atleast. With Hamilton winning (which they will try to prevent by having the other RB win), you lose 15 points instead of say 20 or 22 points.

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

Mr.S wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 19:19
Probably US/Mexico/Brazil territory. The race got cancelled so Verstappen's engine is 1 race old. He can do 4 more easily - Holland, Monza, Russia, Turkey. RB won't take both @ the same time. Maybe say in Mexico & another in Brazil. And then you have a new engine for the last 4-5-6 races. That should help in the final stretch. But you do it in a track when you can easily overtake & there will possibly be higher degradation with a 2 stop increasing potential tyre differential. That may Max & Perez can get to a P4-P5 type result atleast. With Hamilton winning (which they will try to prevent by having the other RB win), you lose 15 points instead of say 20 or 22 points.
I'd say that Verstappen could quite feasibly get back up to P3 at Austin as long as he doesn't run into trouble. Red Bull will probably be annoyed that they missed out on the chance of taking the penalties for Perez at Spa given it wouldn't have made a difference.

godlameroso

No one had any idea it would rain this way, just that it would rain. I had high hopes we would be able to have some racing. All said it was a strange outcome, Red Bull on top, which I like, but in a half hearted way. No one likes half hearted victories.

Surely we want a full hearted race, so that makes Zandvoort very appealing. Good thing the circuit is near the beach, so if they get everything over there, they can set up shop and work on their tans.
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

Good news, I suppose, teams get an extra bit of cap space which still doesn't cover the cost of damages. Something is better than nothing I guess.
Saishū kōnā

Wouter

About Max his second PU repair.

Honda suggest F1 engine rule change as Red Bull ponder penalty strategy

Honda has suggested a revision to Formula 1’s engine rules that would enable penalty-free repairs to power unit damage caused by other teams.

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/985858/1/ ... y-strategy
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

godlameroso wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 13:29
Good news, I suppose, teams get an extra bit of cap space which still doesn't cover the cost of damages. Something is better than nothing I guess.
The Power of Dreams!

godlameroso

Thank you for posting the news story, it adds the context I missed.
Saishū kōnā

Wouter

AMuS: "Red Bull has filed a complaint with the FIA over Mercedes' new trick"

It doesn't stop with the rumour mill after the Belgian Grand Prix. Again there are rumours about the battle between Mercedes and Red Bull Racing. Red Bull has filed a complaint with the FIA about Mercedes' engine.

In his new video for Auto, Motor und Sport Michael Schmidt talks about rumors from Spa. Red Bull would claim to have filed a complaint with the FIA. Ferrari is also said to be involved, but according to Schmidt Ferrari doesn't say much.

Mercedes is said to have a trick that seems to be legal at first. "They somehow manage to cool down the air in the plenum in the acceleration phase. This produces significantly more horsepower in that phase, but not as much by the end. This could be true when you see how Mercedes come out of the corners", Schmidt says in the video. The plenum of an F1 car is part of the airflow structure.

Schmidt says the trick is legal in itself, but the issue is where the sensors measure the temperatures in the plenum, as there is only a certain temperature allowed. "I don't think you're allowed to be below ten degrees [in terms of outside temperature] and Red Bull claims the sensors are in a place where it's always made sure it's warm enough."

The next two or three races should see more clarification on the matter. If we don't hear anything, AMuS says Mercedes' trick is completely legal.
AMuS Formel Schmidt Video [German] at 14.30 min.:

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... spa-regen/
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

godlameroso wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 14:35
Thank you for posting the news story, it adds the context I missed.
Graag gedaan. :wink:
The Power of Dreams!

Zynerji

Wouter wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 20:23

It doesn't stop with the rumour mill after the Belgian Grand Prix. Again there are rumours about the battle between Mercedes and Red Bull Racing. Red Bull has filed a complaint with the FIA about Mercedes' engine.

In his new video for Auto, Motor und Sport Michael Schmidt talks about rumors from Spa. Red Bull would claim to have filed a complaint with the FIA. Ferrari is also said to be involved, but according to Schmidt Ferrari doesn't say much.

Mercedes is said to have a trick that seems to be legal at first. "They somehow manage to cool down the air in the plenum in the acceleration phase. This produces significantly more horsepower in that phase, but not as much by the end. This could be true when you see how Mercedes come out of the corners", Schmidt says in the video. The plenum of an F1 car is part of the airflow structure.

Schmidt says the trick is legal in itself, but the issue is where the sensors measure the temperatures in the plenum, as there is only a certain temperature allowed. "I don't think you're allowed to be below ten degrees [in terms of outside temperature] and Red Bull claims the sensors are in a place where it's always made sure it's warm enough."

The next two or three races should see more clarification on the matter. If we don't hear anything, AMuS says Mercedes' trick is completely legal.

Integrated vortex tubes?🤔

ispano6

Wouter wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 09:43
ispano6 wrote:
30 Aug 2021, 08:43
Here's a video of Max running an older generation F1 car on the track. With the shorter practice sessions compared to previous years it's crucial to have had as much accurate simulator time and any prior running on the track.
RedBull and Max may have a small but crucial advantage.
Kind of like how Anthony Davidson took the current Mercedes car out on Silverstone and used that session for the simulator and set up for the sprint race. These outings aren't meaningless.

https://youtu.be/DayWdEYy2qg
Max drove a few laps there with a demo car, which contains a Renault PU, on hard demo tires.
The data you get from that is of no use at all for driving the RB16B and the Honda PU.
When in a few days the teams drive FP1 with the current car, they will get real information that they can do something with.
There's telemetry data and then theres driver feel and muscle memory and understanding the banking, undulations, off-camber corners, and various lines. Many drivers have said the limited running this year has had an impact in preparation for tracks they aren't familiar with, such as Tsunoda. This could also be seen with lewis/Mercedes and their set up miss in Monaco. With how new everyone will be to this track, there's a higher likelihood of drivers having offs, causing yellows, or even crashes that result in red flags. Any type of disruption will make it difficult to have the optimum flow and groove. Sure, drivers may get up to speed quickly and some may be doing many simulator laps to prep for it. Let's see if Max and Red Bull can come out on top.

_cerber1

ispano6 wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 07:40
There's telemetry data and then theres driver feel and muscle memory and understanding the banking, undulations, off-camber corners, and various lines. Many drivers have said the limited running this year has had an impact in preparation for tracks they aren't familiar with, such as Tsunoda. This could also be seen with lewis/Mercedes and their set up miss in Monaco. With how new everyone will be to this track, there's a higher likelihood of drivers having offs, causing yellows, or even crashes that result in red flags. Any type of disruption will make it difficult to have the optimum flow and groove. Sure, drivers may get up to speed quickly and some may be doing many simulator laps to prep for it. Let's see if Max and Red Bull can come out on top.
The Portuguese Grand Prix last year was held for the first time on the circuit in Portimao, everyone was new there, but I don't remember many yellow or red flags over the weekend.

ispano6

_cerber1 wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 07:51
ispano6 wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 07:40
The Portuguese Grand Prix last year was held for the first time on the circuit in Portimao, everyone was new there, but I don't remember many yellow or red flags over the weekend.
Go back and watch the F1 2020 Portimao FP1(and FP2/FP3 while you're at it) highlights and it will jog your memory. That track has quite a bit of run-off and space too. Any off is a yellow at that location, however brief, which disrupts others passing by.

_cerber1

ispano6 wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 07:57
Go back and watch the F1 2020 Portimao FP1(and FP2/FP3 while you're at it) highlights and it will jog your memory. That track has quite a bit of run-off and space too. Any off is a yellow at that location, however brief, which disrupts others passing by.
Most of the trainings are held with yellow flags, which is why they exist, but thanks to them, pilots feel more confident in qualifying and racing. Your theory that Max has a decisive advantage after a few laps on the track in an old car will not hold up, a regular simulator session will give the pilot more insight. I will be very interested in what you write if Max does not take pole on Saturday.

adrianjordan

Wouter wrote:
31 Aug 2021, 20:23

This system in whatever form it exists has been on the car since the start of the season. It's taken them this long to decide to protest? Seems unlikely to me.

The article talks about rumours etc. Given how vocal Horner et al can be, if there was actually a protest then I think we'd have heard about it by now from them.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️