Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Ryar

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Edax wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 07:58
Ryar wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 04:39
Edax wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 00:45

Russel to Merc and Bottas/ de Vries at Alfa. I actually would like that from the drivers side.

But with that Toto becomes even more powerful in the sport. I am not sure that necessarily is a good thing.
How would Toto becomes more powerful? Toto may be Driver manager for Bottas and De Vries, but Ferrari controls Alfa.
If the story is correct the deal would include Alfa switching to Merc engines
It makes no sense. Alfa belongs to Fiat group and why would they want to "BUY" engines from someone outside of their group (free or paid or discounted), when they have Ferrari in it.
Hakuna Matata!

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

It's silly so belongs here but indeed holds no reason. Yes, Bottas might go to Alfa Romeo to replace Kimi. And it's been mentioned quite a dozen times that Mick probably will go to Alfa to replace Giovanazzi, and Mick is a Ferrari academy driver, and indeed Alfa has recently extended their 'deal' with Ferrari. So an engine deal with Alfa is absolutely out of the question.

Since Mercedes already services themselves, Mclaren, Aston Martin and Williams, they don't bother with another team either.

So IF Bottas is going to go to Alfa, that likely will be some sort of 'loan' to them - not unlike they did with Ocon to Renault before. More likely it involves a deal where Mercedes is able to pull Bottas back if things don't work out with Russell.

I think there is more likely a mixup of things.

It's far more likely that Bottas indeed will go to Alfa Romeo (though even that surprises me as i'd be inclined to believe he'd just up and leave F1 but whatever).
It's also far more likely that with Russell going to Mercedes, a seat opens up @ Williams.
Latifi surely is going to stay there, and so there is a seat open that untill now was filled by a Mercedes driver which came at a 'free engine deal'.
This deal now falls through.

So, it's probable that there is some sort of Mercedes driver that might get a shot at a Williams seat and this involves a Mercedes engine deal.
It might be de Vries even though i don't think he's that special compared to other not that special drivers like Jack Aitken, but that's an opinion.

In other words:

People hear of Bottas to Alfa, and something about De Vries.
and people hear of a Mercedes engine deal.

They link the two together @ Alfa instead of realising that it's two seperate things.

There's also the 'rumours' of Alex Albon going to Williams.
As for those rumours, i honestly don't see how that is going to pan out.
He disappointed @ RedBull, he doesn't bring wealth but he is a RBR backed driver,
and Williams is not a RBR camp.

Whats more likely to happen is this:

Mercedes : Hamilton & Russell
Alfa Romeo : Bottas & Schumacher
Williams : Latifi & De Vries
Haas : Mazepin & Ilott
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

NathanOlder

Manoah2u wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 09:49

Yeah I agree with this, although I don't think Mick has done anything to show he's worthy to move up to a better team. He's up against arguuably the worst driver over the last 5 years, and he's not exactly putting him to shame. Look at Russell over the last 3 years, he was able to shine in easily the worst car on the grid. Mick has shown none of this. I guess if he gets the Alfa seat, its more down to Gio being poor rather than Mick being good.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

NathanOlder wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 11:06
Manoah2u wrote:

Yeah I agree with this, although I don't think Mick has done anything to show he's worthy to move up to a better team. He's up against arguuably the worst driver over the last 5 years, and he's not exactly putting him to shame. Look at Russell over the last 3 years, he was able to shine in easily the worst car on the grid. Mick has shown none of this. I guess if he gets the Alfa seat, its more down to Gio being poor rather than Mick being good.
Mick is still benefitting from his father's legacy with Ferrari - 5 titles carries weight even now. So they'll give him a chance in a "better" junior team and see what happens. If he does end up at Alfa, then he needs to dominate his team mate - whoever that is - in order to show he's worthy of a move up to the top team. The Schumacher name back on a Ferrari will be marketing gold for the team.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

NathanOlder

Just_a_fan wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 11:17
NathanOlder wrote:
Manoah2u wrote:

Mick is still benefitting from his father's legacy with Ferrari - 5 titles carries weight even now. So they'll give him a chance in a "better" junior team and see what happens. If he does end up at Alfa, then he needs to dominate his team mate - whoever that is - in order to show he's worthy of a move up to the top team. The Schumacher name back on a Ferrari will be marketing gold for the team.
If he ends up next to Bottas, I'm sure that will be the end of Mick.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Mr.S
Mr.S

Ryar wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 08:29
Edax wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 07:58
Ryar wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 04:39
How would Toto becomes more powerful? Toto may be Driver manager for Bottas and De Vries, but Ferrari controls Alfa.
If the story is correct the deal would include Alfa switching to Merc engines
It makes no sense. Alfa belongs to Fiat group and why would they want to "BUY" engines from someone outside of their group (free or paid or discounted), when they have Ferrari in it.
I think it is a wrong move for Ferrari. They should put Elliot in the seat who IMO deserves it over De Vries due to Ferrari connection @ Alfa. Mercedes should try to push De Vries @ Williams. I see RB also pushing Albon to Williams. Guess the chances with Hulkenberg are fairly limited. There's the chance also of Zhou @ Williams if he wins F2 & you have got Piastri as well.

Latifi & Gio don't deserve a drive in 2022 given the range of talent waiting. Too bad Mazepin has his father. Hopefully Haas gets bought by some competent team soon !

Mr.S
Mr.S

NathanOlder wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 11:24
Just_a_fan wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

Unlikely but let us see. Bottas is a clown although he has occasionally good 1 lap pace. His racecraft is just mediocre, he is bad in the wet & his starts are also not that great. And LH is possibly past it & Bottas still can't beat him so I think Mick will do fine. He may be outqualified initially but on the long run Bottas is not gonna make it in a back-marker car. You can get away with anything driving a Mercedes.

It is difficult to say how good Mick is because his team-mate is Mazepin but he did overtake Latifi in a clearly faster Williams. He basically has no benchmark to compare himself too & needs to go somewhere, anywhere, where partner isn't Mazepin. If he isn't good enough, he will make a career in Indycar or DTM but no use wasting time in Haas !

NathanOlder

Mr.S wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 12:01
NathanOlder wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

Unlikely but let us see. Bottas is a clown although he has occasionally good 1 lap pace. His racecraft is just mediocre, he is bad in the wet & his starts are also not that great. And LH is possibly past it & Bottas still can't beat him so I think Mick will do fine. He may be outqualified initially but on the long run Bottas is not gonna make it in a back-marker car. You can get away with anything driving a Mercedes.

It is difficult to say how good Mick is because his team-mate is Mazepin but he did overtake Latifi in a clearly faster Williams. He basically has no benchmark to compare himself too & needs to go somewhere, anywhere, where partner isn't Mazepin. If he isn't good enough, he will make a career in Indycar or DTM but no use wasting time in Haas !
I agree that Bottas is not top level, but his first season in Williams out weighs anything Mick has done. Mick just hasn't shone at all so far. And his F2 days were not anything like as good as the other guys around. Mick in F2 was Latifi's level.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Ryar

NathanOlder wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

Did you not predict Mazepin would route Mick? :lol:
Hakuna Matata!

NathanOlder

Ryar wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 13:28
NathanOlder wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

Did you not predict Mazepin would route Mick? :lol:
No, thats just you talking **** pal.

I said I wouldn't be surpised if Mazepin beat Mick, but Mik would be stronger the longer they are there.

That was replying to some **** user who was banned for being a ****
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

SiLo

mick should stay in the haas for next year, the car this year is abjectly terrible and next year should be a bit more back to normal for them.
Felipe Baby!

NathanOlder

SiLo wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 13:38
mick should stay in the haas for next year, the car this year is abjectly terrible and next year should be a bit more back to normal for them.
Yeah, didn't Haas say they were fully focused on the 2022 car even before the 2021 season started . Who knows where they could end up next year
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Jolle
Jolle

NathanOlder wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 13:43
SiLo wrote:
Yeah, didn't Haas say they were fully focused on the 2022 car even before the 2021 season started . Who knows where they could end up next year
I think the only thing they did to the HAAS was taking a heck saw to the floor....

NathanOlder

Jolle wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 13:46
NathanOlder wrote:
SiLo wrote:
I think the only thing they did to the HAAS was taking a heck saw to the floor....
Yeah, so next year they could really jump up the order well in to the midfield ? Oh I have such high hopes for next year being like an F3 season! [-o<
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

Jolle
Jolle

NathanOlder wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 13:47
Jolle wrote:
01 Sep 2021, 13:46
NathanOlder wrote:

Yeah, so next year they could really jump up the order well in to the midfield ? Oh I have such high hopes for next year being like an F3 season! [-o<
I think all back marker fans are hoping for a Williams 2014 season for their team. But it all depends how much resources they have to develop the 22 car. Of course, Williams had a pile of Martini money and a Mercedes PU for that, while I have no clue of HAAS has extra fertiliser money and the PU side is not the strongest...