2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
adrianjordan

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Wouter wrote: ↑
01 Sep 2021, 12:01
This morning a new article on AMuS , this time not a video but written tekst.

Is the trick in the intercooler?

Since the British GP, Red Bull and Ferrari have suspected that Mercedes has achieved performance. Now the opponents think they know what it is about. Red Bull has sent a request to the FIA.
Since the British GP, Red Bull has had the feeling that Mercedes has significantly improved its performance in the acceleration phases.
Ferrari should also be on the matter. Both teams think they know how the world champion gained an advantage at the beginning of the straight.
In English: https://translate.google.com/translate? ... -red-bull/

German: https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... -red-bull/
That would be Britain where Merc introduced their first major upgrade of the season?
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

godlameroso

ringo wrote: ↑
01 Sep 2021, 23:17
godlameroso wrote: ↑
01 Sep 2021, 20:33
It seems RBR's focus on the mission makes Mercedes fans sweat a little. Speaking of sweating, driver fitness will be pushed to the limit around here, this circuit is pretty tough over the long haul. Cardio will come into play, and energy management at all levels driver/team/power unit will be key to victory.
I am redbull fan by the way. I support 3 teams.
I don't think anything will come of the air cooling rumour. I do not think sufficient expansion can take place for considerable drop in temperature.
As for the next race, yes Cardio is critical. It looks to me like a good track for both redbull and mercedes. Not many heavy braking zones.. so possibly less advantage for the bulls, also like ERS will be at a premium?
Not so much as keeping juice in the battery but deploying it correctly, take bocht 9 & 10, putting down the power and good trail braking is crucial, and regen along with diff settings can help the car turn in, and careful management of deployment so to not break traction on the exits. I even went as far as taking out a few degrees of front wing on the right to help with stability on exit of 3 and 10, and compensating with an extra degree on the left side to help with the trail braking.
Saishū kōnā

langedweil

02 Sep 2021, 00:29
Not so much as keeping juice in the battery but deploying it correctly, take bocht 9 & 10
The word 'bocht' is really being adopted nicely :lol:
HuggaWugga !

Mr.S
Mr.S

adrianjordan wrote: ↑
02 Sep 2021, 00:06

Is the trick in the intercooler?

Since the British GP, Red Bull and Ferrari have suspected that Mercedes has achieved performance. Now the opponents think they know what it is about. Red Bull has sent a request to the FIA.
Since the British GP, Red Bull has had the feeling that Mercedes has significantly improved its performance in the acceleration phases.
Ferrari should also be on the matter. Both teams think they know how the world champion gained an advantage at the beginning of the straight.

That would be Britain where Merc introduced their first major upgrade of the season?
You would think an upgrade would be worth a tenth or 2 or at most 3 if it an amazing one. Mercedes were behind 2 tenths before SIlverstone & after it were ahead by 2 tenths atleast. And Hungary should have suited RB much more & they should have been ahead by 2-3 tenths. That upgrade can't possibly be 4-5 tenths.

Also it looks like Mclaren, Ashton Martin & Williams have all improved after Britain. The Mclaren looked like a monster in the straights (maybe due to better exits) in Britain & Hungary as well & both AM & Williams improved quite a bit.

I don't know how much it is worth (this engine thing) of if it is legal (it may well be). But I think FIA needs to relook at PU - 6 races max for 1 Unit. If you have 22-24 PUs, then you allow 4 PUs. And allow development of PU (Atleast 2-3 tokens like for the chassis). Aero is not frozen. Why should PU be? Otherwise Mercedes runs away & Ferrari is stuck with their engine issue.

And huge costs can be saved by standardization of parts & other guidelines so let us not get to the cost bit ! You could manage it with Tokens !

dans79

Mr.S wrote: ↑
02 Sep 2021, 05:49

You would think an upgrade would be worth a tenth or 2 or at most 3 if it an amazing one. Mercedes were behind 2 tenths before SIlverstone & after it were ahead by 2 tenths atleast. And Hungary should have suited RB much more & they should have been ahead by 2-3 tenths. That upgrade can't possibly be 4-5 tenths.

Also it looks like Mclaren, Ashton Martin & Williams have all improved after Britain. The Mclaren looked like a monster in the straights (maybe due to better exits) in Britain & Hungary as well & both AM & Williams improved quite a bit.
Don't forget the new rear tire construction was also first seen in SIlverstone, thats had an effect as well.
201 105 104 9 9 7

adrianjordan

I don't know how much it is worth (this engine thing) of if it is legal (it may well be). But I think FIA needs to relook at PU - 6 races max for 1 Unit. If you have 22-24 PUs, then you allow 4 PUs. And allow development of PU (Atleast 2-3 tokens like for the chassis). Aero is not frozen. Why should PU be? Otherwise Mercedes runs away & Ferrari is stuck with their engine issue.

And huge costs can be saved by standardization of parts & other guidelines so let us not get to the cost bit ! You could manage it with Tokens !
Silverstone was also where the allowance for flexing of rear wings was reduced to zero. So we had Merc bringing an aero upgrade that was aimed at solving the major issue with their car, new tyre construction and Red Bull's ingenuity being reigned in (I'm of the opinion that RBR were definitely gaining an advantage from the flexing rear wing - more than other teams - but I'm also of the opinion that this is exactly what F1 is all about, pushing the envelope of what is permitted).

Those 3 things combined could easily explain a 4 tenths or more swing in performance.

Did all 4 Merc powered teams take new PU components at Silverstone? Even if they did, it was widely reported at the beginning of the season that Merc had deployment problems. They could have solved them and that could account for any improvement in PU performance.

Tying this back to RBR, this rumour of a protest remains exactly that until I hear Horner talking about it.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ

Jaisonas
Jaisonas

Manoah2u wrote: ↑
01 Sep 2021, 09:51
It's a sore Horner/RedBull camp that is looking at any straw to annoy and offset the Mercedes camp with the little hope that it might help them win the title.
How about this theory then? Mercedes threw the idea that honda was hit by a td to pull away the suspicion from them.
It really goes both ways doesnt it? :D

Alexf1
Alexf1

Jaisonas wrote: ↑
02 Sep 2021, 09:03
Manoah2u wrote: ↑
01 Sep 2021, 09:51
It's a sore Horner/RedBull camp that is looking at any straw to annoy and offset the Mercedes camp with the little hope that it might help them win the title.
How about this theory then? Mercedes threw the idea that honda was hit by a td to pull away the suspicion from them.
It really goes both ways doesnt it? :D
That seems more likely and in line with Merc strategy this year to keep public focus off themselves and on RB. France Honda engine gains claim of Toto was a nice example. Cause at Spa MB top speed advantage was suddenly due to different wing levels, not engine

ringo

I do not think there is a 4 tenths advantage in Mercedes Favour.
We have Spa practice sessions to say otherwise. Hungary qualifying was misrepresentative because the RB16b setup was not balanced and Max just did not do his best.
I think we are yet to see the real difference. We need a clean race to establish the gaps.
RedBull i am sure will be fine, if not slightly quicker with both Max and Perez at Zandvoort.
For Sure!!

Mr.S
Mr.S

ringo wrote: ↑
02 Sep 2021, 15:43
I do not think there is a 4 tenths advantage in Mercedes Favour.
We have Spa practice sessions to say otherwise. Hungary qualifying was misrepresentative because the RB16b setup was not balanced and Max just did not do his best.
I think we are yet to see the real difference. We need a clean race to establish the gaps.
RedBull i am sure will be fine, if not slightly quicker with both Max and Perez at Zandvoort.
Max Verstappen was 6 tenths ahead of Perez & Hungary lap is almost as short as Monaco time wise. It is like 60% of Spa. That is like 1s in a long circuit. And Max was 6 tenths ahead of Mclaren & Ferrari in such a short track which is like close to 1s in a big track. In Austria, Max & Lando had set identical times almost & in the Styrian one, it was 3 tenths between him & Lando.

Verstappen was 3 tenths behind Hamilton. How much more could he have done better? A tenth @ best? Mercedes was still 2 tenths quicker. And if you look @ Silverstone Qualifying before the sprint race, Hamilton was quicker. The track can suit Mercedes a bit more but Mercedes & Honda as per this forum & you & others were tied on HP & Honda was probably ahead.

France is also a track which should suit Mercedes but RB were on par with Mercedes & after their Austrian-Styrian upgrade they were 2 tenths ahead. Now they are 2-3 tenths behind in a track which should suit them much more. Mercedes has made a step through aero + engine whether it is 2 tenths or 3 tenths or 4 tenths I don't know. This whole PU thing could all be BS for all I care.

Mr.S
Mr.S

02 Sep 2021, 08:41

Silverstone was also where the allowance for flexing of rear wings was reduced to zero. So we had Merc bringing an aero upgrade that was aimed at solving the major issue with their car, new tyre construction and Red Bull's ingenuity being reigned in (I'm of the opinion that RBR were definitely gaining an advantage from the flexing rear wing - more than other teams - but I'm also of the opinion that this is exactly what F1 is all about, pushing the envelope of what is permitted).

Those 3 things combined could easily explain a 4 tenths or more swing in performance.

Did all 4 Merc powered teams take new PU components at Silverstone? Even if they did, it was widely reported at the beginning of the season that Merc had deployment problems. They could have solved them and that could account for any improvement in PU performance.

Tying this back to RBR, this rumour of a protest remains exactly that until I hear Horner talking about it.
Flexi Wing new tested started from France. So you can argue for Baku but not after that. After that & without flexi wings, RB won France & they won both Austrian GP easily & Max had a tenth or 2 over Lewis even after the new rear wing ! Besides the Rear wing advantage was proven wrong totally when RB won France & both Austrian GP & seemed to improve after new Rear wing regulations !

dans79

02 Sep 2021, 16:21
Flexi Wing new tested started from France.
I take it you missed the part where the FIA gave the teams a 20% tolerance for the first month? That means temas didn't have to fully comply with the regulations till Silverstone.
201 105 104 9 9 7

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

langedweil wrote: ↑
02 Sep 2021, 04:29
Not so much as keeping juice in the battery but deploying it correctly, take bocht 9 & 10
Yeah but confusing will start, once people say bocht, but are talking about Heineken instead :D

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

NL_Fer wrote: ↑
02 Sep 2021, 17:50
langedweil wrote: ↑
02 Sep 2021, 04:29
Yeah but confusing will start, once people say bocht, but are talking about Heineken instead :D
Confusion will start if it's used other than when referring to the Dutch track. It means something else when not being said in Dutch. :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.