Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
zeph
zeph

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Perez is usually very good on race days, but he is hampered by inconsistent qualifying. If he can get on top of that, he should be fine.

koenigzig
koenigzig

aMessageToCharlie wrote:
04 Sep 2021, 15:21
Perez out in q1 in the fastest car.

Big mistake from RBR management to resign him for '22 imo.
He missed out on his second run by a few seconds, would have made it quite comfortably.

Compared to Max, yes he is slow in qualifying without a question but track evolution played a big role today and the second run was important (which he didnt get).
PM me if you're interested in joining an F1 2021 or Assetta Corsa Competizione league on Xbox

NathanOlder

NL_Fer wrote:
04 Sep 2021, 09:27
Maybe Gasly is the one? He was rebuilding and improving himself ever since he returned to Alpha Tauri. He deserves a second chance at Redbull, than put Albon in the Alpha Tauri. Albon needs more time to adapt, in F2 he eventually was as fast as Norris and Russel.
I wouldn't say he was, in the last 5 races of that season, only once did he get within half a second of pole position. Albon isn't good enough, but he's certainly appears better than Tsunoda.

Mercedes won't need to block Albon like whinging Horner is saying. Mercedes just want one of their drivers in there as they have a partnership with Williams.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Big Tea

NathanOlder wrote:
04 Sep 2021, 20:37
NL_Fer wrote:
Maybe Gasly is the one? He was rebuilding and improving himself ever since he returned to Alpha Tauri. He deserves a second chance at Redbull, than put Albon in the Alpha Tauri. Albon needs more time to adapt, in F2 he eventually was as fast as Norris and Russel.
I wouldn't say he was, in the last 5 races of that season, only once did he get within half a second of pole position. Albon isn't good enough, but he's certainly appears better than Tsunoda.

Mercedes won't need to block Albon like whinging Horner is saying. Mercedes just want one of their drivers in there as they have a partnership with Williams.
Williams Honda?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Zynerji

Big Tea wrote:
04 Sep 2021, 20:39
NathanOlder wrote:
04 Sep 2021, 20:37
NL_Fer wrote:

Williams Honda?
If only!

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

JordanMugen wrote:
04 Sep 2021, 10:54
NL_Fer wrote:
Perez already has a contract extension. Though I guess Perez could go to AT and Gasly to RB, though I really don't see why Marko would want to do that.

SmallSoldier wrote:
04 Sep 2021, 00:21
The Sauber Red Bull relationship goes way back too, so I guess this make it even more possible! We might see a bit of a Red Bull decal on the Alfa Romeo somewhere? :D

this has got to look so weird for 'new' f1 'fans'.

A Sauber (now sortof Alfa), 'powered' by Petronas (now in the same breath as Mercedes), sponsored by RedBull and in RedBull colours (the current archenemy of Petronas Mercedes), with actually a rebranded Ferrari engine (the 'enemy' of both RedBull and Mercedes), which was driven by a French and a British driver (Alesi and Herbert) and neither were part of any acedemy or driver programme, which finished 6th in the WCC championship and achieved a podium in 1998 F1 season, in front of Tyrrell (the current AMG Mercedes F1 team), Minardi (the current Alpha Tauri team), and Stewart (the current RedBull team), and was driven in a time where Max' dad Jos Verstappen was racing his 4th season in F1, for the same team his son Max is driving now, aswell as in a season where Kevin Magnussen's dad was driving for that same very team, aswell as both Mick's father and uncle were competing, and a finnish driver became WDC, and Ross Brawn was team manager instead of F1 boss, and Honda powered Jordan, the team that now is Aston Martin, which untill last season still sponsored RedBull.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

ringo

NL_Fer wrote:
Max is afraid of Gasly. It seems behind the scenes Marko and Horner do not want Gasly to upset the Max apple cart.
Gasly will make Max uncomfortable if he returns to redbull as a more confident and experienced driver. He will demand more from the team in terms of working with them to setup the car, and also the strategy to build up his weekends. He is no longer like a rookie who has to be forcefed what is going on.
For Sure!!

Ryar

ringo wrote:
05 Sep 2021, 04:56
NL_Fer wrote:
Max is afraid of Gasly. It seems behind the scenes Marko and Horner do not want Gasly to upset the Max apple cart.
Gasly will make Max uncomfortable if he returns to redbull as a more confident and experienced driver. He will demand more from the team in terms of working with them to setup the car, and also the strategy to build up his weekends. He is no longer like a rookie who has to be forcefed what is going on.
:lol: :lol: :lol: You need to watch 2019 season. But you can use this statement for Mercedes team by replacing those names appropriately.
Hakuna Matata!

ringo

Ryar wrote:
05 Sep 2021, 04:58
ringo wrote:
NL_Fer wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: You need watch 2019 season. But you can use this statement for Mercedes team by replacing those names appropriately.
That was two years ago. Gasly is a better driver now.
Why do you think Marko and Horner a blocking him from returning to redbull?
He is fast, he is a team leader, he is now a race winner. Surely he is good enough. Or.. is he too good? :wink:
For Sure!!

Ryar

ringo wrote:
05 Sep 2021, 05:01
Ryar wrote:
05 Sep 2021, 04:58
ringo wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: You need watch 2019 season. But you can use this statement for Mercedes team by replacing those names appropriately.
That was two years ago. Gasly is a better driver now.
Why do you think Marko and Horner a blocking him from returning to redbull?
He is fast, he is a team leader, he is now a race winner. Surely he is good enough. Or.. is he too good? :wink:
Probably because they need a team leader for Alpha Tauri for 2022. Budget restrictions, plan to share wind tunnel, maximum possible components sharing, with the confidence that AT would come very close to RB. That makes more sense than senseless conspiracy. :wink:
Hakuna Matata!

ringo

They could send Perez to Alpha Tauri and promote Gasly. But it would not be constructive to have two bulls in one pen.
Two number 1 may be a big problem to manage with short tempered max.
For Sure!!

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

Gasly was quick at AT before he was promoted to RBR. He was quick again after he returned to AT.

Sure he learned the last 2 years, but he isn’t THAT good all of a sudden.

Sainz though, he is top level. Right up there with Leclerc, Norris and Verstappen.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

RBR's driver 'treatment' and positioning shot themselves in the foot.

Ricciardo since Vettel was their biggest asset. Vettel suddenly leaving left them in a bit of a situation, but how they then handled or had to handle Kvyat was problematic.
Whether it was the right move to replace Kvyat with Gasly is doubtfull. However, to then a year on replace Gasly with Max steaming in was another issue right there.

Either way, Max came into RBR with horns and trumpets, and upset the team.
He did so @ Toro Rosso with Sainz, who was doing absolutely phenomenal. I got a bit Alonso/Hamilton vibes from that pairing.

The combo Ricciardo-Verstappen was one of the strongest in the grid imho, but i think it's clear by now that RBR had gone on the Max hype and trumpet train and with that,
they essentially shoo'd Daniel away.

And at that point, they got again in a situation like when Vettel left: without a proper second driver. Their 'mistake' was thinking they'd suffice with a 2nd grade driver.
Albon fell through and again they had to change.

Now they have a proven incredibly fast driver in the shape of Perez, but they still handle him like Max' puppet. I'm glad Perez gets to stay for 2022 but RBR really should have signed him for untill 2023 as 2022 is going to be big reset time and it would genuinly bring peace to the team.

Gasly won't go to RBR for the simple reason he gets AT in the spotlights and big money in the WCC result.
Tsunoda is yet another disappointment.

The biggest 'joke' of it all is that if they fail to get Max a title this year, and next year, then Max is guaranteed gone and all that fanfare will have been for nothing.

Let's be clear this has nothing to do with Max' talent. It only is a comment about how RBR wrongly handles their drivers.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

adrianjordan

Manoah2u wrote:
05 Sep 2021, 09:58

Ricciardo since Vettel was their biggest asset. Vettel suddenly leaving left them in a bit of a situation, but how they then handled or had to handle Kvyat was problematic.
Whether it was the right move to replace Kvyat with Gasly is doubtfull. However, to then a year on replace Gasly with Max steaming in was another issue right there.

He did so @ Toro Rosso with Sainz, who was doing absolutely phenomenal. I got a bit Alonso/Hamilton vibes from that pairing.

The combo Ricciardo-Verstappen was one of the strongest in the grid imho, but i think it's clear by now that RBR had gone on the Max hype and trumpet train and with that,

And at that point, they got again in a situation like when Vettel left: without a proper second driver. Their 'mistake' was thinking they'd suffice with a 2nd grade driver.

Now they have a proven incredibly fast driver in the shape of Perez, but they still handle him like Max' puppet. I'm glad Perez gets to stay for 2022 but RBR really should have signed him for untill 2023 as 2022 is going to be big reset time and it would genuinly bring peace to the team.

Gasly won't go to RBR for the simple reason he gets AT in the spotlights and big money in the WCC result.

The biggest 'joke' of it all is that if they fail to get Max a title this year, and next year, then Max is guaranteed gone and all that fanfare will have been for nothing.

Let's be clear this has nothing to do with Max' talent. It only is a comment about how RBR wrongly handles their drivers.
I'll go further and say that RBR management have such a polarising effect on fans that it influences how fans think of any given driver.

I uses to absolutely dislike Vettel when he drove from RBR, but once he left the team we started to see more of him and in his last couple of seasons at Ferrari and this year at Aston especially, he has become one of my favourite drivers.

It makes me question the opinion I have of Max as well.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

DChemTech
DChemTech

adrianjordan wrote:
05 Sep 2021, 10:20
Manoah2u wrote:
05 Sep 2021, 09:58

I'll go further and say that RBR management have such a polarising effect on fans that it influences how fans think of any given driver.

I uses to absolutely dislike Vettel when he drove from RBR, but once he left the team we started to see more of him and in his last couple of seasons at Ferrari and this year at Aston especially, he has become one of my favourite drivers.

It makes me question the opinion I have of Max as well.
That's not unique to RB though, it happens with teams/drivers with attitude. Part of my dislike for Ferrari mostly stems from the attitude of Schumacher, still. Add to that the years of "ferrari assistance", and it easily translates to a dislike for the team that radiates back to their drivers. Even though Ferrari has had quite sympathetic drivers in recent years, I can't really be a fan as long as they drive in red.