2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

I would agree. The result might not have changed but the pit wall calls seem far too data driven and not “go racing” driven.

Spacepace

Mercedes strategy team is a case of unchecked competency. Too many years of having it easy

Jozsusz
Jozsusz

So.
We have those rules now which basically are perfect for RB and for their high rake car meanwhile Merc is the second team after Haas which lost the most. We had the token system which basically made impossible for Merc to develop a kickass car for this year. But was perfect for RB to implement the Merc style rear suspension. Then we have the cost cap which limits Merc's R&D meanwhile RB knowing this is their big chance just develop like crazy.
And still the difference was less than a tenth in qualy and sometimes they aren't even the fastes during race.

rickybobbyf1
rickybobbyf1

mkay wrote:
05 Sep 2021, 17:06
Shrieker wrote:
05 Sep 2021, 16:55
mkay wrote:
05 Sep 2021, 16:53
Another shambolic performance by the Merc pitwall. When the margins are that tight, you can't afford to have scrappy or ill-timed pitstops. This race win was definitely possible, although unlikely.
Agreed. It was not likely, however they very clearly had a better shot at it with a 3rd stop, and it's flat out bizarre they didn't take the chance.
Agreed.

They also had a shot during the 2nd pitstop, but they chose the absolute wrong moment to pit, with VER slipping away from HAM and HAM being released in traffic... meant that the gap actually increased after the 2nd pitstop!

They really should have thrown the dice and tried a pitstop for hards right as they passed Bottas.

Very scrappy race by Volwes/pitwall.
Dreading the next insufferable debrief saying once again how in hindsight they would have done things different and now will learn from this; then have a repeat at next race.

HungarianRacer
HungarianRacer

Jozsusz wrote:
05 Sep 2021, 17:22
So.
We have those rules now which basically are perfect for RB and for their high rake car meanwhile Merc is the second team after Haas which lost the most. We had the token system which basically made impossible for Merc to develop a kickass car for this year. But was perfect for RB to implement the Merc style rear suspension. Then we have the cost cap which limits Merc's R&D meanwhile RB knowing this is their big chance just develop like crazy.
And still the difference was less than a tenth in qualy and sometimes they aren't even the fastes during race.
It's pathetic from RB.
Man, you know this comment isn't staying, why even make the effort, are you really that mad.... And while I somewhat agree with some of your points, there simply is no way to quantify the advantage RB gained from those shenanigans, so even if you were 100% right on this, you really can't avoid coming off sounding like a sore l0ser in a situation like this...

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

Ban DAS - from Redbull
Different engine mode Ban -- From Redbull
High rake -- Grant to Redbull

Seems all politics.

But I still believe, Mercedes will come good in coming race. The worrying part is Botta is not keeping up with Ham. So, even with 2 & 3, they cannot play around with it.

rickybobbyf1
rickybobbyf1

selvam_e2002 wrote:
05 Sep 2021, 17:44
Ban DAS - from Redbull

Seems all politics.

But I still believe, Mercedes will come good in coming race. The worrying part is Botta is not keeping up with Ham. So, even with 2 & 3, they cannot play around with it.
They nerfed merc this year like crazy.

ringo

There was no chance no matter what mercedes did. Even on the hard compound Max was not being reeled in with Lewis going balls to the wall. There was a point when Lewis got within 1.5 seconds. That's when you realize that the 2nd pitstop should have been later to clear the traffic.
But this week, Redbull was too strong, this was evident from practice, and qualifying.
The only solace I got from this race was that Hamilton is still the best driver out there when it comes to pushing consistently in race. If the car was a little bit faster and more rear stability, Max would have bene vanquished.
Mercedes just were not close enough to apply enough pressure to cause Max to put a foot wrong.

What was good was that Bottas was not too bad at all. He lost pace, relative to Hamilton, but it can be expected that Lewis' relentless pace was not going to be easily matched. Bottas did factor into the race, but let Max by too easily.
For Sure!!

Shrieker

ringo wrote:
05 Sep 2021, 17:57
but let Max by too easily.
I swear he does this on purpose now. Every time he was put in a position to lend a helping hand to Hamilton, he made a mistake first chance he got, and let Max pass him easy peasy. There was no reason to be pushing into the chicane there, Max was too far back and wasn't going to take a chance and divebomb him risking contact, even if he had braked 5 meters before where he actually did.
Last edited by Shrieker on 05 Sep 2021, 18:19, edited 2 times in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

PlatinumZealot

Sort of a shitty strategy out there today. Makes you wonder what could have been done differently. So many opportunities... I wouldn't say Mercedes were made fools, not when there are debacles like Monaco, but ... certainly reeked of desperation today. Not sure if Max was pushed at all, he was quite calm and relaxed on the radio.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Unf

selvam_e2002 wrote:
Ban DAS - from Redbull

Seems all politics.
Ban flex rear wing - from Mercedes
Ban fast pit stops - from Mercedes
V6 hybrid engines - Grant to Mercedes

f1jcw
f1jcw

Unf wrote:
05 Sep 2021, 18:21
selvam_e2002 wrote:
Ban DAS - from Redbull

Seems all politics.
Ban flex rear wing - from Mercedes
Ban fast pit stops - from Mercedes
V6 hybrid engines - Grant to Mercedes
Flexy rear wings have always being against the rules
V6 hybrid engines - also Renault, who powered Redbull at the time

Unf

f1jcw wrote:
05 Sep 2021, 18:45
Flexy rear wings have always being against the rules
I think if something is banned it always mean that it is against the rules.
So I am curious about such listing for what "bad RBR" did for Mercedes...

Jozsusz
Jozsusz

HungarianRacer wrote:
05 Sep 2021, 17:30
Jozsusz wrote:
So.
It's pathetic from RB.
Man, you know this comment isn't staying, why even make the effort, are you really that mad.... And while I somewhat agree with some of your points, there simply is no way to quantify the advantage RB gained from those shenanigans, so even if you were 100% right on this, you really can't avoid coming off sounding like a sore l0ser in a situation like this...
I'm not mad, this is the reality.
The amount of nerf Merc receiced this year is just crazy, meanwhile RB is right where it was last year. I mean Verstappen beat an AT in qualy only by 6 tenths...?

Vaexa
Vaexa

Jozsusz wrote:
05 Sep 2021, 19:13
HungarianRacer wrote:
05 Sep 2021, 17:30
Jozsusz wrote:
So.
It's pathetic from RB.
I'm not mad, this is the reality.
The amount of nerf Merc receiced this year is just crazy, meanwhile RB is right where it was last year. I mean Verstappen beat an AT in qualy only by 6 tenths...?
A margin that would have been, by a conservative estimate, about 2-3 tenths larger without the DRS actuator failure and gearbox glitch coming out of Scheivlak.

Come on.