2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SiLo

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

I think he will be a fantastic successor to Lewis. There is really no better barometer to measure yourself against right now that Hamilton.
Felipe Baby!

e30ernest
e30ernest

This is wonderful news! Russell definitely deserves that seat! Looking forward to next year.

El Scorchio

Next season is going to be AMAZING! We're going to see just what an exceptional talent George Russell is. Mercedes have just guaranteed themselves a top, top driver for the next decade.

Zynerji

Starkblood80 wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 09:21
Zynerji wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 20:54
ringo wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 20:24

Can you take your trolling elsewhere?
Alonso got beat in 2007. I guess he is "slow". So was Heiki. Oh and rosberg 2013 to 2015..i guess those were not beatings?
Hamilton got nothing to prove. 7xWDC, all of his stats are top 5 of all time and there is nothing you can do about it.
GOAT 8)
Trying to prove he is no good is a waste of your time. It's just nonsense.
And would love to hear your opinion if Max loses the title this year.
Troll-face. Alonso got TIED in 2007, not beat... :roll:
No Data?
since 2007 Hamilton has beaten his teammates in all but 2 seasons. 3 of those were or became WDC's. he's out qualified, won more races and posted more fastest laps than his teammates. he was marginally outscored by Button over 3 seasons but trumped him on literally every other measurable metric and finished ahead in 2 out of 3 seasons. You claim Hamilton never had super quick teammates but salivate over the fact Rosberg scored a fortunate WDC in 2016 against him. You go on about "puking emotions" but your distain for Hamilton blinds you from the facts and its quite frankly pathetic.

i look forward to the mods deleting this post while allowing trolls like yourself carte blanche over the forum.
A few things:

Hamilton is the GOAT in my opinion. Period.

I feel he has been protected by his team with their choices of who occupied the other seat. I don't believe that Merc believed Nico had it in him to win over Lewis, and it surprised them as much as it did when he retired.

This is a technical forum. Running across posts that are just blatant emotional outpourings is considered "puke". It doesn't increase the quality of conversation, nor does it convince anyone to their viewpoint.

Fulcrum
Fulcrum

LM10 wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 18:22
Shrieker wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 17:13
LM10 wrote:
06 Sep 2021, 16:31

If it's Stroll, yes. If it's Russell, I have my doubts.
Bottas had put it in 3rd place in qualifying for the 2013 Canadian GP in the wet, in a shitbox of a Williams. His performances in the Williams granted him the Merc seat, but not guaranteed beating Lewis. That is a tall order. Which I suspect, Russell will swiftly find out too.
Williams finished 2014 and 2015 in third place, 2016 in fifth place. They were far away from being a shitbox in the hybrid era. Simply because especially at the beginning of the hybrid era it was almost all about the PUs and Williams had the mighty Mercedes PU in it's back.
He was referencing the 2013 Williams, not 2014 or later.

Incognito
Incognito

Zynerji wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 14:21
I feel he has been protected by his team with their choices of who occupied the other seat. I don't believe that Merc believed Nico had it in him to win over Lewis, and it surprised them as much as it did when he retired.
I'm intrigued. Who do you think Mercedes 'protected' Hamilton from in 2013? Other than Vettel (who was busy winning in a comfortable Red Bull seat and would have been a very difficult target for Mercedes to secure), Hamilton had beaten (or come within a single point) of every champion since Schumacher.

I know it's a popular narrative these days but I can't see a single driver on the grid who has had as tough a competition as Hamilton has across his career. That doesn't automatically make him the best driver ever but if Hamilton has been 'protected' then what does that say about the rest of the grid?
Last edited by Incognito on 07 Sep 2021, 16:12, edited 1 time in total.

El Scorchio

Incognito wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 16:05
Zynerji wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 14:21
I'm intrigued. Who do you think Mercedes 'protected' Hamilton from in 2013?
He's never been protected. It's a silly claim to make.

SiLo

Any "protection" would have actually been Mercedes realising the benefit in keeping Bottas over Russell, Norris etc.
Felipe Baby!

aral
aral

There are a couple on this thread who seem to delight in petty baiting, rather than add any technical information to the actual topic. Could you please stop dragging the forum down to your level? Posts can and will be removed where such pointless baiting is evident. Fanboys do not belong on this forum.

ferrarifire
ferrarifire

For Sure ,Russel will not outscore Hamilton next year unless the championship on the line. Mercedes will make sure that Russel will be sabotaged in the 1st half or entire season to make feel Hamilton deserved all the titles and he will retire by next year . Possibly Russel will play the wingman role and am pretty sure that this was discussed with Russel before signing off the contract. Sometimes legacy needs to be protected.. Next year it will be termed as Russel's learning year ...
El Scorchio wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 12:27
Next season is going to be AMAZING! We're going to see just what an exceptional talent George Russell is. Mercedes have just guaranteed themselves a top, top driver for the next decade.

Shrieker

Do you guys think this is going to be the strongest driver pairing on the grid next year ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Shrieker wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 17:59
Do you guys think this is going to be the strongest driver pairing on the grid next year ?
It has the potential to be. It will require careful management of the drivers and their respective garages.

I think, if asked, Russell will play the team game because he knows it wins him favours in future. If Hamilton is just quick enough to gain a lead on Russell in the title, there will come a point where the team will back Hamilton for the title. At that point, Russell will need to be mature enough to do as asked.

The key will be what happens if the roles are reversed and Russell really is the second coming of Fangio. In that case, will Hamilton be prepared to step aside and help Russell to win? He's old enough to understand his own ego. Will he be able to control it?

Of course, this is all predicated on Mercedes producing a competitive car next year. If they produce a dog and are solidly midfield, Hamilton might take the opportunity to publicly take on the role of mentor. He'd want to beat Russell, but with no title pressures, the dynamic is different.

I think it's going to be fascinating either way.

As I've said before, it's a no-lose situation for Russell provided he keeps his head together. If he throws his toys then he'll look ungrateful etc., and won't win friends. If he is magnanimous, he'll set himself up very nicely for the next few years.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

El Scorchio

Shrieker wrote:
100%.

Red Bull will be the most harmonious by far, though. Whole team and both drivers focused on one goal. Big question mark over how harmonious Hamilton and Russell will actually be if push comes to shove!

Love the JV avatar!

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Shrieker wrote:
Looking at what he has managed to do the past season(s) I definately would believe so.
I would definately argue that it's a stronger pairing than what they're having now anyway.

The only stronger pairing i would believe would be Hamilton-Alonso or Hamilton-Verstappen.

A great deal is also down to the car though, that must be said.

For example, put Hamilton and Russell in the Haas and it's the same driver pair, but it's lost all it's strenght due to the fact that they have no appropriate material to get into 'battle' with.

Either way, looking at the competition, there doesn't seem to be such a 'strong' combo.

Verstappen-Ricciardo @ RedBull a few seasons ago would be a pairing that would rival Ham-Rus.
With how Ricciardo has been doing @ Mclaren up untill now however i wouldn't say that it looks good though.
If Ricciardo could handle the Mclaren like he did the RB paired to Max, then I would be also inclined to believe that Norris-Ricciardo is another bold and brutal combination.
Unfortunately though, that is not actually happening. It's not that the material is not sufficient, and it's not that Ricciardo isn't sufficient.

And this then is also an element that matters quite a lot.

In theory, Hamilton-Russell is to be a mighty combination. Will it turn out that way however remains to be seen, especially with the 'new' formula next season.

Things can change completely. Vettel was more than mighty with the blown diffuser Bulls, but was a bit lost when that changed. Same can happen with Hamilton in 2022, but that is the same for Russell, Norris, Verstappen etc.

As for harmony....that's a bit of a stinker.
I honestly don't think Lewis-George is going to be problematic at all, but it's all down to chemistry.

You would think Norris and Ricciardo would be the funniest, humourous lighthearted pairing on the grid ever,
but instead they seem to be pretty much at full opposite and can't bare eachother (perhaps a bit exegerated).
Sainz-Verstappen also seemed to be a combo that did not work harmoneous at all,
yet Sainz worked perfectly well with Norris and seems to work with LeClerc fantasticly too,
and Verstappen worked fantastic with Ricciardo, and seems to work well enough with Perez too.

Alonso seems to work well with Ocon too, but with Hamilton things did not work well at all - it reminds me of Hamilton-Rosberg.

Likewise, i think Vettel-Bottas (if paired) would be an interesting combo, but something tells me it would be totally unharmoneous. Despite Bottas-Hamilton works, and Vettel-Raikkonen works.

Also, something also immediately ticked off between Bottas and Russell, i would think Bottas-Russell could actually be a very fishy atmosphere, and instead Hamilton-Russell could work much better.

However, i think the combo Hamilton-Russell is one of the most envysome right now and is going to be a strong asset for Mercedes.

Definately stronger than Verstappen-Perez and Sainz-LeClerc.

Based upon the past seasons, i would say again that Hamilton-Russell is a pairing as powerfull as Verstappen-Ricciardo, but with even better material, and definately is reminiscent of Hamilton-Button even though Button was vastly more experienced and mature, but i would feel Russell is actually sharper in speed than Button.

I would think the only combo that would be stronger if it were to happen would be Alonso-Vettel.
That might actually even work as a pair.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

PlatinumZealot

SiLo wrote:
07 Sep 2021, 17:23
Any "protection" would have actually been Mercedes realising the benefit in keeping Bottas over Russell, Norris etc.
Hmm. Russell wasn't proven and to some extent still is not so Lewis wasnt being shielded from him. It was more Russell given a chance to develop. Remember Russell wasnt a standout for different reasons. Say as versus a Max or Carlos when they came on the scene.
Also Outside of Russell there are no available fast drivers out there that would threaten Lewis. Alonso black-listed by Merc. Lando unproven. Vettel not in top form. Ricciardo was there as a threat, (but we know how thing ended up), Leclerc a Ferrari man. So there was no big dog out there really out there to shield Lewis from.

The other argument that put this protection argument to bed was that Jos Vestappen allegedly blocked Max from coming to Mercedes in 2017. So it's clear Toto has no interest in shielding Lewis and his major interest is that of building the strongest team.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028