2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Marty_Y
Marty_Y

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

https://www.planetf1.com/news/valtteri- ... d-penalty/

Doesn't really go into detail as to why they need to take another engine, they must be genuinely worried about reliability to sacrifice constructors points.

Edit,

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/bott ... e/6664338/

basti313
basti313

Marty_Y wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 22:07
https://www.planetf1.com/news/valtteri- ... d-penalty/

Doesn't really go into detail as to why they need to take another engine, they must be genuinely worried about reliability to sacrifice constructors points.

Edit,

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/bott ... e/6664338/
If they would be just concerned about the leak on the ICE or generally ICE reliability they would change...the ICE and get Bottas back to P3 or P4 in the race.
Now they change everything...I do not know...I think it is mainly to cover VER as they were mostly concerned that he takes the penalty here. If he still takes it he is behind Blockas.
Don`t russel the hamster!

JordanMugen

nimoraca wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 13:29
It was a great drive. Bottas driving alongside Hamilton all these years has, somehow, made him look like an average driver which he isn't, and he will prove that next year.
Well Bottas is clearly worse than Rosberg, which is the main thing bothering casual or rival F1 fans. :wink:

Is Bottas as good as Frentzen, Barrichello, R Schumacher, Trulli, Ocon etc? Sure, why not? :)
Last edited by JordanMugen on 11 Sep 2021, 00:27, edited 2 times in total.

SiLo

I think it's also that it gives them peace of mind and flexibility on the car if they really need to push it. Max absolutely has to take one, and still has to worry about the older engine lasting long enough.

Merc can take one, and then have relatively, two very fresh engines that can give a performance benefit until the end of the season, with a few power tracks still remaining (Russia, Turkey, Saudi, Brazil etc)
Felipe Baby!

JordanMugen

SiLo wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 00:25
I think it's also that it gives them peace of mind and flexibility on the car if they really need to push it. Max absolutely has to take one, and still has to worry about the older engine lasting long enough.
You mean for Bottas? It would be an own goal to have Hamilton take a new PU here, and let Verstappen take his new PU without relative penalty. Verstappen might even try to risk it, not follow Hamilton PU's change, and see if he can hold off the McLarens for the win?

SiLo

JordanMugen wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 00:29
SiLo wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 00:25
You mean for Bottas? It would be an own goal to have Hamilton take a new PU here, and let Verstappen take his new PU without relative penalty. Verstappen might even try to risk it, not follow Hamilton PU's change, and see if he can hold off the McLarens for the win?
No for Hamilton - but I don't think they should take one here. I'd probably take one in Russia.
Felipe Baby!

PlatinumZealot

This engine is a testbed for some reliability parts and new power mappings I am hoping!

Even 10hp more would be nice.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

NathanOlder wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 11:48
George being 13yrs younger will help the 2 drivers stay at peace. If They were similar age, then it causes a problem. Look at examples like Schumacher/Rosberg , Massa/Bottas, Kimi/Vettel. They all got on well enough as they were at different stages of their careers. Times where there seemed to be trouble like Vettel / Webber or even Seb/Charles was when the team set out a number 1 and number 2 driver. The number 1 driver then expects to be entitled to everything and the number 2 driver at times was just too fast. So I don't see any trouble between George and Lewis. Lewis is on the way down, George on the way up, both a fully fledged Mercedes men so won't do anything that will destroy their futures with the brand. Russell being with Mercedes since 2016 I think it was, and Lewis for 23 years or so.
I wouldn’t call the current Champion and P2 in the WDC in the current season “on the way down”… He seems as sharp and fast as he has been and potentially faster on race day due to accumulated experience his gained during his F1 career.

PlatinumZealot

37 to 23 is a huge gap though! 14 years! Youth must be worth something here. According to f1-metrics' driver age model, the peak is 26 and it sort of plateaus until 32, where it goes down by a few fractions of "points per race" which is the unit that the author uses in his model, up to the age of 37. Thereafter, the points per race nose-dives into oblivion. So pretty much it is saying that, like Michael Schumacher before him, Lewis' driving should turn to crap somewhere in 2022 or over into 2023 when George should start dominating him. That said, it would be beyond what we know of human conditioning if Lewis can somehow maintain peak form in his twilight years and resist George's speed.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

dans79

PlatinumZealot wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 04:57
37 to 23 is a huge gap though! 14 years! Youth must be worth something here. According to f1-metrics' driver age model, the peak is 26 and it sort of plateaus until 32, where it goes down by a few fractions of "points per race" which is the unit that the author uses in his model, up to the age of 37. Thereafter, the points per race nose-dives into oblivion. So pretty much it is saying that, like Michael Schumacher before him, Lewis' driving should turn to crap somewhere in 2022 or over into 2023 when George should start dominating him. That said, it would be beyond what we know of human conditioning if Lewis can somehow maintain peak form in his twilight years and resist George's speed.
I have a feeling those models are highly flawed. Fangio won the world championship in 1957 at age 46. Drivers are much more physically fit for a given age than they were 10, 20 or 30 years ago for a given age.
201 105 104 9 9 7

adrianjordan

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Don't tell Alonso that lol

Lewis was amongst the first of the drivers to redefine the level of fitness for this generation of drivers, much like Schumacher did in the 90s. I can see Lewis maintaining his peak level until he decides to retire.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

adrianjordan

jz11 wrote:
10 Sep 2021, 19:46
Merc gifted a new engine to Bottas for beating Lewis :D read it as you like, but pls don't hit me too hard :P
Except they fit the new PU BEFORE he beat Lewis. So your logic has a fundamental flaw.

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

adrianjordan

The million dollar question is what will Mercs strategy be for the Sprint?

If I was them I'd have Bottas let Lewis past, then use him to hold up Max in the hopes of both McLarens getting past him.

rickybobbyf1
rickybobbyf1

adrianjordan wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 11:21
The million dollar question is what will Mercs strategy be for the Sprint?

If I was them I'd have Bottas let Lewis past, then use him to hold up Max in the hopes of both McLarens getting past him.
Agree, but both need a fast start. The switch needs to be later than first lap. It might bee too risky to slow down a bit and let Ham pass at first.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

adrianjordan wrote:
11 Sep 2021, 11:19
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Don't tell Alonso that lol

Lewis was amongst the first of the drivers to redefine the level of fitness for this generation of drivers, much like Schumacher did in the 90s. I can see Lewis maintaining his peak level until he decides to retire.
I feel like Senna was the proto-modern driver. Into working out, eating clean ans whole organic foods, etc. Alan Prost maybe wasn’t as obsessive but kept himself in good shape and I think was athletic growing up (and still active with bikes / running).

Schumacher I think brought in the scientific side of fitness and it’s been like that since.

Lewis is in great shape physically. We’ll see how long that translates to driving, but he certainly isn’t slowing down quickly.