Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Squid
Squid

Re: Honda Power Unit

I think you guys are overthinking the sound. I'm sure it would sound much more similar to the Mercedes behind it if they ran all 6 cylinders while idling. Notice at 0:49 how the "roughness" disappears once Hartley revs up a bit. It's also very likely not as loud as it sounds, but rather just the way the camera's microphone picks up the oscillating noise.

Hino
Hino

ncassi22 wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 03:11
Singabule wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 02:39
Two strokes engine!! :D :lol: :mrgreen: JAW would like it
Engine radiator on the left?
Should be on the right.

ncassi22
ncassi22

Hino wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 04:22
ncassi22 wrote:
Singabule wrote:

Should be on the right.
Look at the guy with the blower. They possibly swapped it back to the 2016 layout with the radiator on the left. Speculation obviously, but it could also mean they're spinning the turbo opposite crank rotation like in 2016...Or they just clocked the compressor 90 degrees.

MrPotatoHead

They are running on reduced cylinder count during idle at the end of the pit lane to reduce heat generated by the engine mainly.
But the Honda has always had a more aggressive cylinder cut than the rest.

As for radiators I'm pretty sure they are on both sides on the TR this year but I haven't paid close enough attention to that.

Singabule
Singabule

ncassi22 wrote:
Singabule wrote:
I tend to believe MCL has set the position of the cooler first, and Honda will follow the direction. This year clearly opposite

MrPotatoHead

Singabule wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 06:39
ncassi22 wrote:
Singabule wrote:

I tend to believe MCL has set the position of the cooler first, and Honda will follow the direction. This year clearly opposite
The coolers are a collaboration between the teams and the company they outsource the coolers to.
Most of the teams use the same company. PWR.
I think Mercedes is the only one they do not supply.

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Singabule wrote:
Yeah right S-B, those of us who are fans of exciting F1 ICE-sounds - WISH - they were a more bit like a 2T..
( So here's a 2T/3 ripping it up, for aural comparison)..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jB8N6Bj2Zw
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

ispano6

johnny comelately wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 01:41
Postmoe wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 23:55
The sound...

Are they firing only three and then switching to the other three and again and again? Trying to avoid overheating?It just seems to be at the verge of dying, and I tend to love it, but it gives me a strong feeling of anxiety, the urge to switch it off.
Yes taken from the most advanced engineering outfit in the world, Harley :)
In this case, it's a Hartley (Davidson) ;)
If it's cylinder deactivation I'm rather impressed since even the Accord V6 engine had it. It's also kind of funny in that this PU sounds like a Honda power generator and motorcycle in one! Seems like they packed a lot of heritage in the sound characteristics. the Honda I know is definitely quirky like that.

GhostF1
GhostF1

A shame we can't really hear it take off. Damn Mercedes ruining the secrets.

Speculation over the last year as to why they have such a pronounced cylinder cut in the Pitlane has been wild. It seems they run it at 3 cylinders and swap between the two sets at idle. Indicative of a weird firing order/unique crank design. But who really knows. Maybe Wazari can give us a hint 😋

Thunder

Testing Thread for posting Videos of Cars Driving while Testing is that Way: forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27067
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

johnny comelately
johnny comelately

ispano6 wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 07:33
johnny comelately wrote:
Postmoe wrote:
27 Feb 2018, 23:55
The sound...

Are they firing only three and then switching to the other three and again and again? Trying to avoid overheating?It just seems to be at the verge of dying, and I tend to love it, but it gives me a strong feeling of anxiety, the urge to switch it off.
In this case, it's a Hartley (Davidson) ;)
If it's cylinder deactivation I'm rather impressed since even the Accord V6 engine had it. It's also kind of funny in that this PU sounds like a Honda power generator and motorcycle in one! Seems like they packed a lot of heritage in the sound characteristics. the Honda I know is definitely quirky like that.
Very good re hartley davidson, but on a serious note...if it is a heat management strategy it is either forward thinking or indicating a fragility

HPD

The people who go to the circuit, they say that "comes honda" and even the car can not be seen turning the corner.
Only for the sound so different :lol:

maguetox
maguetox

johnny comelately wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 12:00
ispano6 wrote:
28 Feb 2018, 07:33
johnny comelately wrote:

I
Very good re hartley davidson, but on a serious note...if it is a heat management strategy it is either forward thinking or indicating a fragility
To my knowledge is the contrary. In Honda engines with VCM (Variable Cylinder Management) they need additional systems to counteract the vibrations of the uneven firing order, in this Honda PU I think they need to strengthener the whole package in order to support the extra vibrations.

godlameroso

Think of it this way, vibrations can be dealt with if you know the range and frequency of them. What is harder to deal with is resonance because it can occur in ways you cannot predict. For example you can more or less calculate where resonance is going to happen, but you need some trial and error to map out the different frequencies of that resonance.

This is both true of mechanical and electrical systems.

Certain frequencies beyond auditory range can do 'interesting' things to liquids such as fuel.
Saishū kōnā

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

so where were you people in those years that NA V8s had cylinder cutting mapped into idling and race driving ?