BAR

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Timstr
Timstr

How do you fit a back end with a (supposedly) smaller package into the same chassis, with the baken maintaining the same length. The engine is more compact, the gearbox is (hopefully) shorter. Yet the concept car wheelbase looks the same. Either my eyes are fooling me or the back end is not shorter.

Monstrobolaxa
Monstrobolaxa

well....to me it seems slightly shorter.....pay attention to the space that goes from the tire to the bodywork in front of it....

Well about the other question....it isn't easy neither cheap but teams do like spending their thime developing inter-med cars.....

the main difference is the back off the car, because the BAR005B have the 2004 honda engine and gearbox and some ohter parts that wil be used at the BAR 006. And it isn't the cheapest solution to build a interim car but is mayba the only way to test the new parts. I mean you gat the TF103b, FW25B and the BAR 005B that are just devolopted for the testing in decembre. But if you have the money for it way not. All the data you got of the new part and testing can make a big difference in the beginning of the season. Loke the ferrari and mclaren this year, it toke a period off time to make ther new car reabile ( the F2003G-A).

Steven
Owner

you say... hopefully shorter gearbox...

I don't see why that would be necessary. To me (and I'm not alone, Ferrari thinks so too ;) ) the gearbox must be smaller at the end, for sure, but it MUST be small overall, the lenght really does not matter very much, when in reasonable limits of course. what is more important is that shape, small at the end, maybe sloping up to allow more air towards the diffuser, ..... You might have meant the same thing though, but this might clear it up a little

Irvingthien
Irvingthien

I know that i said they would do well i '04....but with 04 spec engine and gearbox but still slower than a 03 Ferrari, i'm beginning to have doubts. I think Dave Richards better rethink his aim for the 04 season.(that is to challenge the top three.)

Timstr
Timstr

you say... hopefully shorter gearbox...

I don't see why that would be necessary. To me (and I'm not alone, Ferrari thinks so too ) the gearbox must be smaller at the end, for sure, but it MUST be small overall, the lenght really does not matter very much, when in reasonable limits of course. what is more important is that shape, small at the end, maybe sloping up to allow more air towards the diffuser, ..... You might have meant the same thing though, but this might clear it up a little
Thanks.
I am sure that weight, stiffness, size and shape of the gerabox are all an issue but I just thought that BAR still had some gains to make with the compactness of the back-end...including the length. The BAR005 probably has the longest wheelbase of the 2003 cars.

moab
moab

BAR 005b

You will find that the BAR 005's wheelbase at 3050mm is the shortest on the grid. As for BAR 005B, the chassis is actually more compact, at the rear of the sidepods - you will have to see a plan view to get a better idea. The test car is (un)painted black so garnering the differences is made that little bit more difficult.

Timstr
Timstr

You will find that the BAR 005's wheelbase at 3050mm is the shortest on the grid.
BAR005's wheelbase is 3140mm. The longest on the grid. Check out the specs on http://www.bar.net

maxplank
maxplank

bar

i read that the '005 wbase was 3050mm too (in planet-f1.com). hmmm - seems that there's a bit o' fudgin/mix-ups goin on

mirdavanfe
mirdavanfe

sorry to go slightly off topic here but could someone please tell me why the hell the size of the thread windows is extremely wide when someone post a pic,i know it is necessary to accomodate the size of the pic but the window is actually way larger than needed,i have to keep on scrolling left and right to read the replyz and it does my head-in!! :x are there any way to prevent this from happening??

the chequered blag seem to use the same board software and it doesn't happen there?!?!

aradea
aradea

Shorter Wheelbase & Engine Power

Well since you guys talking about BAR's wheelbase, can anybody tell me if shorter wheelbase is good or just the opposite ?? I don't know much about this technical things, but maybe shorter cars is lighter.

Anyway, I luv BAR and HONDA. And hopefully their new car will be great !!
One more thing, I know that HONDA actually make good F1 engine in the last couple of seasons. I mean the horse power is good but it's still too heavy, Am I right ??

So Maybe their problems in 2003 season is heavier car and (of course..) Bridgestone !! What Do U guys think ?

**Cant Wait To See BAR 006** :D

Timstr
Timstr

Well, about the weight issue: their engine will be lighter this year, and just read a quote from Jenson saying that the BAR006 will have a CF gearbox......

Aradea
Aradea

What's A CF Gearbox ?? Is it different from other team's gearbox ? Like I know that this season Toyota will use A titanium gearbox.

Timstr
Timstr

CF= Carbon Fibre

There is a significant weight reduction if you can make the gear casing with CF. There is also an increased stiffness. The biggest problems with this kinfd of casing are the diffrence in thermal expansion between metal and the CF material. So few have mastered this type of gear case to last a race distance.

scarbs
scarbs

I've seen the BAR005 (-6-) concept cars' gearbox, its not a pure CF casing (but I cannot give any more details away just now). But trust me its not radical or a revolution.