2024 Williams Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
diffuser

Re: 2024 Williams Racing F1 Team

McMika98 wrote:
21 Jun 2024, 22:50
James Vowles is getting such a pass by everyone, helps that he is a sweet talking enchanter. He should be sacked by now, pathetic that last year's car was almost as fast as this years. He got all the credit for a car built by his predecessors who got on the job, no excuses and chipped at it but were sacked. Yet Vowles has a car that is now the weakest in the field.

Last year they stopped development early after Canada to focus on this year's car and it is a dog shite. How you build a 12 kg lighter chassis only to make a car at least 10 kg over the weight limit. Why isn't anyone asking the question. Surely just use last year's parts and they should be well under the weight limit.

Albon low-key has said in couple of races that he wanted to try to run last year's car aero package to see if might be quicker. Now they are already focusing on next year like they did last year, don't be surprised if they cancel that and say 2026 is the goal. Fool me once.
After how the year started with all those accidents, I would not be surprised that they're running out of manufacturing budget.

I think, @ Williams, track performance is secondary to team building. They're content finishing 2nd to last. They didn't jump at the chance to invest in infrastructure prior to the CAP.
, which is gonna be a challenge.

Moctecus

AMuS say Williams' weight-saving programme has brought the excess weight is down to 2.5 kg (from 11 kg). Proper car upgrades will follow, minor before the summer break and major after. They had stopped bringing significant aero upgrades for months while getting the weight down and the part stocks up.

JPower
JPower

Sainz to Williams is official.

Vowles is making some big moves. Best driver lineup outside of the top 4 IMO. Let's see if the cars follow.

Vanja #66

JPower wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 16:43
Sainz to Williams is official.

Vowles is making some big moves. Best driver lineup outside of the top 4 IMO. Let's see if the cars follow.
Great pair indeed, hopefully they push each other to better results. The car today is not good enough, but I also feel like Albon is a bit deflated on top of that... I have my doubts Audi Sauber will manage a big snatch for their second seat, so yeah this will clearly be the best pair outside Top 4 teams, wishing the best of luck to Carlos
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

CjC
CjC

Yea that’s a solid signing for Williams.
Wishing them all the best for the future
Just a fan's point of view

franbatista123

From a neutral's perspective, it will be interesting to see how Albon fares against Sainz. I've always been on the camp that Albon is a bit overrated and has been flattered by weak teammates, but now he will have a true benchmark that should erase all doubt. Very good pairing for Williams.

Jurgen von Diaz

Carlos said that not every guy can choose his team, and he chose Williams. Why not Merc? Is he stupid?

DGP123
DGP123

Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 17:13
Carlos said that not every guy can choose his team, and he chose Williams. Why not Merc? Is he stupid?
Merc didn’t want him, with KA waiting. Signing a cast off from Ferrari, is not a good look either. Many teams seemed to agree, hence why he’s now ended up at Williams. Think he just sees his days out in F1, like many before him, who have failed at big teams.

franbatista123 wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 17:10
From a neutral's perspective, it will be interesting to see how Albon fares against Sainz. I've always been on the camp that Albon is a bit overrated and has been flattered by weak teammates, but now he will have a true benchmark that should erase all doubt. Very good pairing for Williams.
It’ll be good to watch them together, that’s for sure. We’ll have answers soon
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

90feet

McMika98 wrote:
21 Jun 2024, 22:50
Last year they stopped development early after Canada to focus on this year's car and it is a dog shite. How you build a 12 kg lighter chassis only to make a car at least 10 kg over the weight limit. Why isn't anyone asking the question.
Because most everyone else actually follows Formula 1 and knows that Williams decided over the winter to implement a proper ERP system like an actually professional organization, rather than continuing to track their build process in Excel, and this delayed the car build and led to it being overweight. Most of the criticism of Williams is rooted in not actually following Formula 1, e.g. not realizing that Dorilton didn't actually own the team prior to the budget cap being implemented, so they couldn't invest prior to that, but they've been investing at the maximum every season since they took over.

That's not to suggest their improvement is guaranteed, it's not, but at the very least there are obvious reasons why they regressed this seasons and obvious reasons to be hopeful going forward.

Vanja #66

For what it's worth, Italian media reported Sainz has some clauses in his contracts that may give him option to void the contract if a better seat opens even for 2025. It is also mentioned Mercedes may take him in exchange for Antonelli if they chose to... So this might not be the end of it yet
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

KimiRai
KimiRai

Beating Albon convincingly is a must to retain chances with top teams, failure to do so could mean the end of his career.

diffuser

Ironically they're both RBR castaways. Having 1 year difference in age their paths must have crossed often. Just seems like Sainz has been driving forever, I remember the young drivers' test at Silverstone Circuit in July 2013. He must have been 17 or 18. I think he's top notch. Think it will be good for Albon's rep if he can keep up with Sainz.

JPower
JPower

DGP123 wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 17:20
Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 17:13
Merc didn’t want him, with KA waiting. Signing a cast off from Ferrari, is not a good look either. Many teams seemed to agree, hence why he’s now ended up at Williams. Think he just sees his days out in F1, like many before him, who have failed at big teams.
Failed? I don't think he failed at all. Most people thought he would be miles off Leclerc's place and was essentially a seat warmer for Mick Schumacher. 4 years at Ferrari is nothing to scoff at. Regardless, if this is a 2+1 deal, he'll be 32 at the end of 2026. No reason that he couldn't jump back up to "higher" team if there's interest.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Vanja #66 wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 17:43
For what it's worth, Italian media reported Sainz has some clauses in his contracts that may give him option to void the contract if a better seat opens even for 2025. It is also mentioned Mercedes may take him in exchange for Antonelli if they chose to... So this might not be the end of it yet
Spanish media also report his contract is very flexible and will allow him if one of those top seats is released.