WEC 2024

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: WEC 2024

Close up of the Aston

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

'Tis me, just me. wrote:
22 Jul 2024, 16:56

I am siginificantly more interested in what their front wing and sidepod intakes look like. Along with seeing just how much they've castrated the diffuser.
Diffuser:

Front wing:

The front wing is high like a 2006 F1 car

Sidepod inlet is just barely visible here. It's a vertical inlet. They don't have a roof mounted air intake like the other cars.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I don't know if it's the perspective of the image, but that rear decklid is very high. This car might be draggy.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

FIA WEC shared a tweet of some of the cars from behind at Le Mans. It's striking how much smaller the greenhouse of the Ferrari is compared to the other cars. This is definitely one of the reasons that Ferrari is so quick on the straights. They simply have a smaller frontal area than the others. They were able to take advantage from building an LMH car from the ground up with no compromise. The LMDH manufacturers re-used old LMP2 tubs. Toyota seems to have designed a to passenger cockpit which may have been a vestige of the first gen LMH rules. The greenhouse of the Porsche (multimatic LMP2 based) is enormous. It's no wonder why they are slow on the straights.

Porsche vs Ferrari (Ferrari smaller):

Toyota vs Ferrari (Ferrari smaller):

Alpine vs Porsche (Alpine smaller):

In the background of the Alpine vs Porsche gif, you can see Porsche vs Lamborghini. The Lamborghini-Ligier greenhouse is much smaller than that of the Multimatic-Porsche.

Ferrari, Alpine, and Lamborghini have good straight-line speed compared to Porsche. It is not a coincidence.

stephen

It was nice to see Alpine, BMW, and , Peugeot in the top 10.
Stephen Marengo
My F1 favorites: Community | Team | Driver

Farnborough
Farnborough

Holm86 wrote:
19 Jul 2024, 12:35
yinlad wrote:
19 Jul 2024, 09:29
Holm86 wrote:
18 Jul 2024, 22:12
Alright, just thought it might be easier and a hell of a lot cheaper to take one of their own engines and bring up to 670hp rather than taking a very expensive and bespoke engine and detune it that much.
And most people wouldn't even know the difference anyway, the rest of the car doesn't really look like the Valkyrie anyway
The engines already exist in the AMR Pros the race cars are built off. I'm pretty sure they are converting existing chassis rather than building new. I'd bet a detuned Cosworth is about 3000 times less likely to blow up too. Also also, the engine is a stressed member in Valk and I'd doubt the mounting points etc are going to line up on anything in-house
This is very true.
If you've been able to look at those two type of engine, then easy to appreciate there's huge difference.

Pure race type design has very small "crankcase" with crankshaft as low as possible, generally very small clutch and any flywheel fitment, this to facilitate getting crankshaft and general mass close as possible to ground in lowering centre of mass for installation.
The road based motor looks huge by comparison, with nothing in the way of commonality to fit it in the bespoke chassis architecture built around the original. It would be, almost, a completely different car with AM road derived engine installation.

Fakepivot
Fakepivot

AR3-GP wrote:
04 Aug 2024, 04:37
FIA WEC shared a tweet of some of the cars from behind at Le Mans. It's striking how much smaller the greenhouse of the Ferrari is compared to the other cars. This is definitely one of the reasons that Ferrari is so quick on the straights. They simply have a smaller frontal area than the others. They were able to take advantage from building an LMH car from the ground up with no compromise. The LMDH manufacturers re-used old LMP2 tubs. Toyota seems to have designed a to passenger cockpit which may have been a vestige of the first gen LMH rules. The greenhouse of the Porsche (multimatic LMP2 based) is enormous. It's no wonder why they are slow on the straights.

yes, Ferrari has the narrowest cockpit.
Toyota current cockpit looks to be thicker than there previous lmp1, but they still got good top speed

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Flat floor of the Toyota GR010 hypercar (from Sebring crash a few years ago))

What I can't figure out is if the plank is run in 2 pieces, or if that middle section fell off during the accident.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Aston Vantage GT3 floor:

Fakepivot
Fakepivot

499p floor, looks similar to current f1 car

'Tis me, just me.
'Tis me, just me.

AR3-GP wrote:
04 Aug 2024, 04:37
You are right. Until we see the valkyrie LMH in a race; the 499P is the only LMH built from the ground up to the current regulations. The same regulations also hamper a manufacturer's ability to design a new car in short order if their current car is inadequate.

This can be seen in the GR010: it was designed for 1100kg(? I think) weight and a significantly more powerful/capable hybrid system. Thus the wheels, brakes, suspension, monocoque, drivetrain perhaps even cooling all reflect those higher expected loads. Toyota finding ~60Kg in racecar of all things is mighty impressive in their Evo upgrade package. But still, it's only a halfway house, some of the bits that they're not allowed to change should still be heavier than they need to be (thinking about the engine, drivetrain and monocoque). So it is unlikely that Toyota can challenge the 499p at le mans on raw pace alone and the fact that they can bring the package to near parity speaks volumes about the validity of the design and the team as a whole.
I do not believe that we will see another competitor challenge Ferrari with a faster car until a GR010 successor comes out or if the Valkyrie turns out to be rapid. Which I hope so but I doubt.

On a final note, BOP in a development class like LMH can GTFO and suck a fat one (sorry mod :3 ). In LMDH and GT3 it is understandable if not necessary in my opinion. But when you make the conscious decision to enter in such a class with the high costs and development difficulties that entails and the expectations of that class, castrating or boosting a cars performance on a race by race basis goes counter to the raison d'etre of such a class and any justification for its existence. IF wec/aco are set on this track and it does seem to be the case, then get rid of LMH and make the daytonas the top category.

Fakepivot
Fakepivot

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Fakepivot wrote:
23 Aug 2024, 14:33
Oh look who is back :mrgreen:
https://www.endurance-info.com/auto/art ... e-la-piste
Where does the money come from :wtf:

Fakepivot
Fakepivot

Nice lap by Gio

dialtone
dialtone

Completely unacceptable that the literal last car bumps the first while being overtaken. Vandoorne is an amateur, get him in the gt3 am series.