Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
pursue_one's

Re: Mercedes W13

AR3-GP wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 19:43
pursue_one's wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 19:31
N21 wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 19:03

It is exactly that. Not a laser
No. Look at this.

https://imgur.com/a/RSDyPdv
That shows even more clearly that it's just glowing skid plate from the heat.
Looks like the same

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

pursue_one's wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 20:04
AR3-GP wrote:
pursue_one's wrote:

No. Look at this.

Looks like the same
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FP5HeKOXoAI ... name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FP5HeliXsAc ... me=900x900
I don't know about the RB, but looks like the metal on the Merc to me.

matteosc
matteosc

Mchamilton wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 19:50
matteosc wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 19:07
Quantum wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 18:06

The rads on the merc appear lower set.
I disagree. Mercedes are radiators in the airscope, Ferrari does not. I am not sure why you are saying that they are lower, maybe I misunderstood.
Mercedes main engine coolant radiators are definitely lower set than Ferraris
Those may be slightly lower, but the ones in the airscope are a lot higher. It is not a secret that shrinking sidepodes comes with compromises in terms of radiator positioning and center of gravity.

matteosc
matteosc

AR3-GP wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 20:10
pursue_one's wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 20:04
AR3-GP wrote:

Looks like the same
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FP5HeKOXoAI ... name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FP5HeliXsAc ... me=900x900
I don't know about the RB, but looks like the metal on the Merc to me.
I definitely saw some metal sparks, but there was also a constant light that looked weird to me. I think it may be a laser sensor, with some additional metal scraping occasionally.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

matteosc wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 20:17
Mchamilton wrote:
matteosc wrote:

I disagree. Mercedes are radiators in the airscope, Ferrari does not. I am not sure why you are saying that they are lower, maybe I misunderstood.
Those may be slightly lower, but the ones in the airscope are a lot higher. It is not a secret that shrinking sidepodes comes with compromises in terms of radiator positioning and center of gravity.
Mercedes have had the same roll-hoop inlet design for years now so id assume they're quite happy with their cooler layout

matteosc
matteosc

Mchamilton wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 20:25
matteosc wrote:
Mchamilton wrote:

Mercedes have had the same roll-hoop inlet design for years now so id assume they're quite happy with their cooler layout
Of course they are happy and it is not a bad design at all, but it does come with some compromises. Mercedes finds this working well with their car concept, Ferrari does the opposite and it works well with their car concept. There is no good/bad design of a single part, it all depends on how it all works together.

But putting a radiator high up in the airscope will increase the COG, I do not understand how you can deny this and saying that Mercedes has lower COG.

OO7
OO7

matteosc wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 20:18
I definitely saw some metal sparks, but there was also a constant light that looked weird to me. I think it may be a laser sensor, with some additional metal scraping occasionally.
It wasn't constant, unless Merc were instructing Lewis to turn it on and off at certain points during the races. I think it was just the incandescent skid block.

OO7
OO7

pursue_one's wrote:
No. Look at this.

That short video doesn't show the full story. Hamilton was chasing Alonso down the straight with his DRS open. When he initially pulls out from behind the Alpine driver (and also through the final corner and onto the main straight moments before), there's no glow underneath the tea tray and no sparks, but a second or so later, sparks are thrown up from the Mercedes as the bottom of the tea tray begins to rub against the ground. Into the braking zone the sparks cease as the ride high increases, but a glow remains under the tea tray. The glow persists until just before reaching the braking zone for T3.

Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

OO7
OO7

The article is wrong. Although Hamilton's car ran additional sensors apparently, the 'light' underneath was not a sensor, it was just the skid block glowing from rubbing on the ground.

holeindalip
holeindalip

matteosc wrote:
Mchamilton wrote:
matteosc wrote:

There’s no rads up high in the air scoop, the engine cover got wider because that is their hot air exit to the rear.

PlatinumZealot

e30ernest wrote:
11 Apr 2022, 11:12
BaSubScribe wrote:
10 Apr 2022, 18:10
People earlier were posting pics of Mercs floor and comparing it to Red Bull's. Can someone post a pic of Red Bull's floor for the side by side comparison?
Here you go:

Merc on the left, Red Bull on the right.

Edit: Right click and open in new tab to see full image resolution. The Merc image was rather low res compared to the Red Bull's photo, but I did enlarge the Merc's to the Bull's resolution.
Mecedes clearly has a more aggressive (steeper angle, and more shallow) venturi than RedBull. Again echoing the notion that there is a dilemma of peak downforce vs more stable downforce.

Interesting comparison indeed.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

mantikos
mantikos

holeindalip wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 17:07
matteosc wrote:
Mchamilton wrote:

There’s no rads up high in the air scoop, the engine cover got wider because that is their hot air exit to the rear.
Shhhh you're making too much sense, apparently that one non-existent make believe lead radiator they've had there for several years results in a high CoG causing the pogo sticking even though the 2 actual radiators to the sides are lower

RZS10

OO7 wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 16:19
The article is wrong. Although Hamilton's car ran additional sensors apparently, the 'light' underneath was not a sensor, it was just the skid block glowing from rubbing on the ground.
They both have almost identical lens flare, the size of the light source as it appears in the image is similar, even the lightened tarmac is visible in both (Merc running higher than the RB) ... i don't understand the insistance on "it's a glowing car part" when everything points to it being a sensor that could be switched on/off (which is even hinted at in the article: "when switched on")
Image ... the insert is pixelated and blurred from the RB

I'd bet a decent sum of cash that a higher res image would make it absolutely clear.

edit: et voilà
Last edited by RZS10 on 12 Apr 2022, 19:21, edited 2 times in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

RZS10 wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 19:14
OO7 wrote:
12 Apr 2022, 16:19
They both have almost identical lens flare, the size of the light source as it appears in the image is similar, even the lightened tarmac is visible in both (Merc running higher than the RB) ... i don't understand the insistance on "it's a glowing car part" when everything points to it being a sensor that could be switched on/off (which is even hinted at in the article: "when switched on")
https://i.imgur.com/L4XvhjZ.png ... the insert is pixelated and blurred from the RB

I'd bet a decent sum of cash that a higher res image would make it absolutely clear.
It could also be that because the plan geometry is regulated and the fact that the front of the plan represents the lowest point on the car, that all cars will scrape the front edge of the plank.