Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
jagunx51

Re: Mercedes W13

............!!!!

atanatizante

Andi76 wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 20:19
AR3-GP wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 16:49
matteosc wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 15:15

More downwash to better seal the floor?
Those fins are for getting more air to the cooling inlet I think.
Probably. I thought they may try to create a pressurisation zone there. Directly under their sidepod inlet, Ferrari creates a pressurisation zone that propagates forwards...
I thought that too ...

It's a known fact that porpoising on W13 occurs some 30kph sooner than F1-75 and the other difference is that this phenomenon is happening also in the slow, medium and medium to high corners, something the Ferrari car in contrast doesn`t have ...

IMHO the million-dollar question is how to master porpoising at a manageable level for the drivers and obtain better car performance rather than cure porpoising completely, something that the best car at the moment is achieving now successfully.

So maybe with those little 3 fins (and maybe in conjunction with the supposedly new floor), they are trying to shift the centre of pressure more to the rear of the car just for the porpoising occurring later at a higher top speed than 270-275kph which is happening until now ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

atanatizante

Are they allowed to reshape this fin/blade/whatever they call it? or it`s just an optical illusion?

If it`s not an optical illusion then they are trying to get more upwash for the front tyre wake?

Jesus

KiLLu12258
KiLLu12258

still the same rear wing?

what the hell are they doing. :D

mkay
mkay

#ImolaGP upgrades:
Mercedes has updated to sidepod turning vane, SIS shroud and mirror housing, diffuser and lower deflector endplate.
So perhaps... not an optical illusion.

KeiKo403
KeiKo403

Merc’s upgrades via Albert Fabrega

Andi76
Andi76

atanatizante wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 09:15
Andi76 wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 20:19
AR3-GP wrote:
21 Apr 2022, 16:49

Those fins are for getting more air to the cooling inlet I think.
Probably. I thought they may try to create a pressurisation zone there. Directly under their sidepod inlet, Ferrari creates a pressurisation zone that propagates forwards...
I thought that too ...

It's a known fact that porpoising on W13 occurs some 30kph sooner than F1-75 and the other difference is that this phenomenon is happening also in the slow, medium and medium to high corners, something the Ferrari car in contrast doesn`t have ...

IMHO the million-dollar question is how to master porpoising at a manageable level for the drivers and obtain better car performance rather than cure porpoising completely, something that the best car at the moment is achieving now successfully.

So maybe with those little 3 fins (and maybe in conjunction with the supposedly new floor), they are trying to shift the centre of pressure more to the rear of the car just for the porpoising occurring later at a higher top speed than 270-275kph which is happening until now ...
Like i said a few times - porpoising will always be there with these kind of cars. Its all about getting it under control without loosing lap-time, something that Ferrari is very good at.

atanatizante

KeiKo403 wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 11:26

Merc’s upgrades via Albert Fabrega
Either it's a piece of fake news, wrong writing or no posting on the official FIA website yet ...

Jesus

RZS10

Those never get posted on any official site (afaik) - Fabrega is kind enough to share screengrabs.

AeroDynamic

Hes not the only source sharing those. They're legit. its simply a mistake on behalf of the team or the FIA to not update the template.

_cerber1

AA_2019
AA_2019

Mercedes Imola updates revealed as F1 teams seek airflow improvements…

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merc ... /10114859/
One day AI might be able to fix the W13 zero pod concept !

Stu

atanatizante wrote:
22 Apr 2022, 09:26
Are they allowed to reshape this fin/blade/whatever they call it? or it`s just an optical illusion?

If it`s not an optical illusion then they are trying to get more upwash for the front tyre wake?

https://postimages.org/
These are a standard supply part, the only variance that I can find in the regs is the mounting angle (rotational) with regard to the vertical wheel centre axis.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Sevach
Sevach

This is how Merc upgrades are described.
Rear corner probably brake ducts.
Those small tweaks described as sidepods.
And a diffuser/floor.

stonehenge
stonehenge

Haven't seen anyone post this here so I thought I would. AMuS says Mercedes understand how the bouncing gets triggered now but don't have a fix yet:

"Mercedes has changed its W13 in four points, but don't expect miracles. The engineers speak of "normal aerodynamic detail work" that will not solve the main problem. That is and remains bouncing. In any case, the data review from Melbourne brought more light into the darkness. 'We now know how it is formed and how it can be triggered, but we don't yet have the magic formula for a solution.' This is expected for the Spanish GP."

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... 022-imola/ (in German)
Last edited by stonehenge on 22 Apr 2022, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.