Ferrari SF-24 speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: Ferrari SF-24 speculation

FDD wrote:
30 Jan 2024, 21:57
Zander Arcari regarding the update schedule of SF-24:
"...temperatures in Sakhir do not offer absolute feedback on the performance of the cars."
"According to what we have learned, Cardile would prefer to delay the production of the updates for a few weeks if the data collected in Bahrain are not those hoped for. A provision that aims to forge new components only when the certainty of having taken the correct path becomes present."
Interesting. I would have thought that a car which is good in Bahrain has the fundamentals to be good elsewhere. Granted the Sf90 was an exception...

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

Bahrain has like 3 front-limited corners (4, 6, 11) and is extremely abrasive iirc. It rewards cars that are able to protect the rears, yet does very little to test the front. So Ferrari have a history of overperforming there.

Vanja #66

FDD wrote:
"...temperatures in Sakhir do not offer absolute feedback on the performance of the cars."
"According to what we have learned, Cardile would prefer to delay the production of the updates for a few weeks if the data collected in Bahrain are not those hoped for. A provision that aims to forge new components only when the certainty of having taken the correct path becomes present."
Interesting, you'd think they'd want to play it safe with the new car. This probably means they have again chosen some performance solutions that were not previously tested on track and want to confirm if they work as they want them to before committing to that specific development path.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

Vanja #66 wrote:
31 Jan 2024, 09:24
FDD wrote:
Interesting, you'd think they'd want to play it safe with the new car. This probably means they have again chosen some performance solutions that were not previously tested on track and want to confirm if they work as they want them to before committing to that specific development path.
Maybe they think that playing it safe isn't going to get them anywhere, which makes sense given how far behind RB they were at the end of 2023.

FDD
FDD

Vanja #66 wrote:
FDD wrote:
Well good notice/point, I think that if they find good correlation track/simulation it is worth to take risk about some solutions.
BTW I think that they'll keep down/in-wash concept of the sidepods, cause they have 2 years experience with the in-wash, your opinion on that? Also my note that sidepods or the RB are not the so called miracle that make the car reference one, as many people want to claim.

Xyz22
Xyz22

According to Nugnes the car has been assembled.

FDD
FDD

Franco Nugnes:
"The SF-24 was completed in the Gestion Sportiva assembly department and, it seems, that the operation was sublimated by the now usual "fire-up", i.e. the first start-up of the power unit to verify that the assembly has been carried out in a workmanlike manner, checking the seals of the various systems.

Now the red single-seater can be transferred to the dynamic test bench in Maranello where it will have to be instrumented (we are talking about over 15 kg of sensors and wiring) to carry out a series of very important tests which will precede the debut on the track which is set for February 13th Fiorano, for the short 15 kilometer shakedown that the F1 regulations allow the teams."

Vanja #66

FDD wrote:
31 Jan 2024, 12:57
Well good notice/point, I think that if they find good correlation track/simulation it is worth to take risk about some solutions.
BTW I think that they'll keep down/in-wash concept of the sidepods, cause they have 2 years experience with the in-wash, your opinion on that? Also my note that sidepods or the RB are not the so called miracle that make the car reference one, as many people want to claim.
That's kind of the big question visually, keep the hybrid or go full downwash ramp. There are pros and cons to both and I think there might be significant differences in how the two concepts work, or how to make them work the best way. It could well be that relatively strong outwash undercut (like F1-75 had) is needed for any hybrid or inwash design and the bigger the inwash portion the stronger the front outwash region is needed.

On the other hand, RB18/19 and its clones showed that the downwash doesn't require strong outwash undercut, so we can say that's confirmed. And we know strong outwash is a significant drag generator, something you can't allow if you want to beat Red Bulls in the race...

In any case, sidepods are not the magic bullet but their poor design car ruin the performance of a car with top-level floor design (W13, SF-23...) and this is especially significant over race distances, where stable aero is the most important.

#BlessYouLaddie

FDD
FDD

Vanja #66 wrote:
31 Jan 2024, 13:41

It could well be that relatively strong outwash undercut (like F1-75 had) is needed for any hybrid or inwash design and the bigger the inwash portion the stronger the front outwash region is needed.

On the other hand, RB18/19 and its clones showed that the downwash doesn't require strong outwash undercut, so we can say that's confirmed. And we know strong outwash is a significant drag generator, something you can't allow if you want to beat Red Bulls in the race...
I did not know about this possible relation in terms that strong outwash is needed for inwash.
Adding a drag to it, change the case.
Thank you for that side of view.

jambuka
jambuka

What is the engine code for SF-24 ? Is it 066/13 ? Considering F1-75 was 066/7 and SF-23 used 066/10 ?

Vanja #66

FDD wrote:
31 Jan 2024, 17:27
I did not know about this possible relation in terms that strong outwash is needed for inwash.
Adding a drag to it, change the case.
Thank you for that side of view.
Honestly, it's more like thinking out loud on my end... From the little I've seen with my cfd study of AMR23-like sidepods, strong outwash is quite efficient with front tyre wake, but there's lots of drag as well (and some unwanted local lift).

I'm just putting some ideas together, if you have no "vertical" walls (surfaces) on the inside of rear tyre you have a free pass for front tyre wake if it wasn't pushed far out previously. This was the case with W14-like sidepods cfd. On the other hand, if you do have some surfaces there and they form a bit of pressurisation in yaw, then you have a "dam" that helps keep the dirty air out of diffuser.

Maybe it's too much of speculation and it's definitely oversimplified, but I've been thinking of other explanations of possible macro phenomena in that area and this is the best I got. There's surely some interaction with floor edge vortex too, but in my view there's not enough confirmed info available to accurately put this together.

jambuka wrote:
31 Jan 2024, 20:03
What is the engine code for SF-24 ? Is it 066/13 ? Considering F1-75 was 066/7 and SF-23 used 066/10 ?
So far only 066/10 is mentioned for 2024

#BlessYouLaddie

wiktor977
wiktor977

Vanja #66 wrote:
FDD wrote:
So they want to base their development path on car performance in Bahrain ONLY? We all know that Bahrain track is very specific, not only track layout but asphalt itself also.

Vanja #66

wiktor977 wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 15:02
So they want to base their development path on car performance in Bahrain ONLY? We all know that Bahrain track is very specific, not only track layout but asphalt itself also.
They know what they saw from the car in 22 and 23, two very different seasons. Behaviour in T12 in pre season testing last year was not good and it proved to be a clear indicator of how the season will turn out.

#BlessYouLaddie

Farnborough
Farnborough

Vanja #66 wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 19:55
wiktor977 wrote:
01 Feb 2024, 15:02
They know what they saw from the car in 22 and 23, two very different seasons. Behaviour in T12 in pre season testing last year was not good and it proved to be a clear indicator of how the season will turn out.
I see it the same, more reality check at full pace etc to gauge the effect against previous data there, at that circuit. Also first real chance to bench test setup bias one against the other in defining how that too responds.

Valuable as the next development step may or may not build of this until perceptions are replaced with hard data.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Haas 2024 car doesn't have the triangular air scope.
Gone on the SF 24 as well?