2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mendis
mendis

Re: 2022 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Hammerfist wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 02:46
organic wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 01:35
Hammerfist wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 01:31

The gap was around 6 sec by lap 10.
Once again your bias blinders make facts very blurry for you. Quite sad actually.
https://i.imgur.com/oSBHgpY.png

Interval column showing Hamilton 6s back at lap 6.

Between lap 6 and 15 when Max pitted the gap built slowly from 6s to 7.5s and then the gap between Ham and Leclerc was around 10s.
Doesnt change the fact that it wasnt 10 sec in 10 laps like previously mentioned by one of verstappen’s most ardent fans.
Also we have to keep in mind that hamilton was defending from perez at the start so his rnergy deployment schedule was different and likely slowed him down somewhat.
Leclerc started managing his tyres and was lifting too after 7 laps. At that point, it was Max who was faster but he was stuck behind Leclerc and started killing his tyres. If Mercedes has to look at it honestly, then there is full one second per lap gap to Ferrari and Red Bull. If they really want to be in contention, that's the gap to close. Targeting anything less is always going to self deceiving. Problem is, while Mercedes is making progress rapidly, the others are also managing to move forward at a similar rate.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

mendis wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 03:13
Hammerfist wrote:
organic wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 01:35

https://i.imgur.com/oSBHgpY.png

Interval column showing Hamilton 6s back at lap 6.

Between lap 6 and 15 when Max pitted the gap built slowly from 6s to 7.5s and then the gap between Ham and Leclerc was around 10s.
Doesnt change the fact that it wasnt 10 sec in 10 laps like previously mentioned by one of verstappen’s most ardent fans.
Also we have to keep in mind that hamilton was defending from perez at the start so his rnergy deployment schedule was different and likely slowed him down somewhat.
Problem is, while Mercedes is making progress rapidly, the others are also managing to move forward at a similar rate.
This has been the problem of the entire hybrid era. Everybody makes progress so status quo remains. Mercedes was the beneficiary of starting ahead for years. Once you start ahead, then you can just mirror the updates of the other teams to maintain the lead. It's only through wholesale regs changes or concept leaps over the winter that teams can break the status quo.
A lion must kill its prey.

Quantum

mendis wrote:
Leclerc started managing his tyres and was lifting too after 7 laps. At that point, it was Max who was faster but he was stuck behind Leclerc and started killing his tyres. If Mercedes has to look at it honestly, then there is full one second per lap gap to Ferrari and Red Bull. If they really want to be in contention, that's the gap to close. Targeting anything less is always going to self deceiving. Problem is, while Mercedes is making progress rapidly, the others are also managing to move forward at a similar rate.
Why are we making excuses for the front guys because Mercedes could keep up?
There are flaws everywhere in that argument.

First, has Leclerc not managed his tyres he'd have dropped off a cliff. That's F1, every driver needs to do this throughout the race as this is the quickest way to finish the race. This isn't specific to Leclerc.

Second, Verstappen had a choice too. He could follow closely for a couple of laps and if there was a risk to his tyres falling off he should've backed off. That he didn't and had to pit earlier embodies that.

Third, RB's vaunted straightline speed could not get passed Hamilton with Perez.

The W13 is lacking outright pace but comes alive in the race for the very simple reason that a GP is more than outright speed. That's one element. But what if the Mercedes ethos keeps the tyres alive for longer?
It's worth learning more about as if the car gets quicker Mercedes will be able to race harder for longer, even if their outright pace is 0.2/3 less than the cars ahead of them.
"Interplay of triads"

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

What are the upgrades planned for Hungary ?

De Jokke

small modifications to the floor, perhaps something else?

and a huge load of bollocks by the team about this track will suit us better (sorry couldn't resist :D ), I really hope it suits them better
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

RZS10

Re: Mercedes W13

Sieper wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 00:57
I feel the car looks like a stingray. Much more than the car that was called that anyway. It has the overal shape, the flatness with hump in the middle, the gills. Just lacks a tail.
Why invent new names when the classic "Silver Arrow" (Silberpfeil) now fits better than ever?

De Jokke

Well an arrow is supposed to be fast, which this car isn't unfortunately.
The silver stingray is very adequate for this car: it stings when you least suspect it (crashed in QWF, fast when not expected and slow when you think the track suits you), yeah!
Last edited by De Jokke on 25 Jul 2022, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Sieper

I wish they removed the turquoise and the burgundy. Especially the black and silver car was the best looking. But this is off topic.

It really does look like a stingray from above. The car nose resembling the tail.

Shrieker

Bouncing now firmly a thing of the past ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

InsaneX_Badger

AR3-GP wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 03:26
mendis wrote:
Hammerfist wrote:

Problem is, while Mercedes is making progress rapidly, the others are also managing to move forward at a similar rate.
This has been the problem of the entire hybrid era. Everybody makes progress so status quo remains. Mercedes was the beneficiary of starting ahead for years. Once you start ahead, then you can just mirror the updates of the other teams to maintain the lead. It's only through wholesale regs changes or concept leaps over the winter that teams can break the status quo.
But this is what the limits of development depending on where you finish are trying to break. Let's just hope it does, because as much as I would love to see Merc at the front, F1 is better when a mix of teams are at the forefront of the grid.

erudite450
erudite450

Shrieker wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 17:46
Seems so.

It might be the wrong thread but did anyone notice any car porpoising/bouncing this weekend?

Jozsusz
Jozsusz

Guys I read so many things during the past days, please if someone knows for sure enlighten me.

1. RB ran the legal Spa floor with Perez (I don't beleive this).
2. Merc don't run their engines on the max but after Spa they will (I don't beleive this one either).

continuum16

Jozsusz wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 22:07
Guys I read so many things during the past days, please if someone knows for sure enlighten me.

1. RB ran the legal Spa floor with Perez (I don't beleive this).
2. Merc don't run their engines on the max but after Spa they will (I don't beleive this one either).
Complete hearsay, and the specification of RB's floor has nothing to do with the Merc team.

On the engine side I don't see any benefit in running detuned to such an extent for over half the season. They have been the most reliable engine manufacturer so I doubt they would get any reliability concessions. Merc and the customer teams were middle of the speed trap in France, not anything remarkable.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

ringo

erudite450 wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 20:17
Shrieker wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 17:46
Seems so.

It might be the wrong thread but did anyone notice any car porpoising/bouncing this weekend?
I feel they are just riding higher.
They still are limited and their suspension is primitive compared to redbull and ferrari.
The just just doesn't have much left in it.
For Sure!!

PlatinumZealot

The Hungary track is made for this car. Medium speed downforce and its smpoth now.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028