Aston Martin AMR22

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: Aston Martin AMR22

My understanding of the shakedown is that you want to see if you mounted everything right, are all the electronics wired correctly and so forth. I doubt anyone really identifies a massive mechanical issue that needs a week to fix.

Why do teams do the shakedown earlier nowadays. I would wager that they are doing it because the cars are reliable so no real risk of reduced running on first proper day of testing. Other reason is to get early and quick correlation data - Mercedes was running aero sensors and they are feeding back that data a week or so earlier than McLaren will.

basti313
basti313

motobaleno wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 13:33
basti313 wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 13:27
Mitch2.0 wrote:
21 Feb 2022, 11:16

I’m aware you’re being sarcastic, but your logic and therefore your sarcasm are both misplaced.

It IS useful to have a shakedown before packing all the kit and leaving for Barcelona, storm or not.
Yes and no....
I think the core point of the shakedown is to check electronics and heat management.
For heat management you heat the car in the garage standing as far as it can go, then drive at high fuel burning and see where the rad temps go. I am not sure how you can read anything if you drive in the storm, rain with vents fully open (maybe closed inside?). Merc was running with all vents closed, that made more sense to me....

For electronics you best run the car as you would drive it in the test, so optimal time is 2 days ahead of the test. That was done often in the past. Not sure what they read in this regards now...

So generally I would say, that it is astonishing that they hold the shakedowns in the worst weather. There must be more than the classical reasons.
Indeed one of the most common type of problems found (and solved) during shakedown is hydraulic leakages
for what concerns heat management you can only have basic indications.
Yes, that goes in line with electronic tests. I think one would do this 2 days ahead of the official test, not before you disassemble the car for the transport anyways...
Don`t russel the hamster!

hollus

Just a reminder:

Livery talk, pretty / ugly, potential championship results... all of those go in the team thread,thank you.
Please keep the car thread for the actual car hardware.
Rivals, not enemies.

TimmTurbo
TimmTurbo

Quite suprised that there is no picture yet. I wonder if they`ve put on anything new

TimmTurbo
TimmTurbo

The first picture. I could not spot any differences compared to the shakedown spec

TimmTurbo
TimmTurbo

there is two smal winglets on the outer edge of the floor
Last edited by TimmTurbo on 23 Feb 2022, 12:07, edited 1 time in total.

MtthsMlw

I think these are sensors of some kind, you can see cables running towards them.

Morteza

Via @f1debrief
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

TimmTurbo
TimmTurbo

Looks like a cooling fan on the bottom (blue housing). Maybe just randomly put there

AeroDynamic

comparison!

Mandrake
Mandrake

Is it the colour or is the Mercedes wing so much larger area?

AeroDynamic

Mandrake wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 13:41
its larger. Look at the outer edge as well at the base wing plane, less taper to the corners.

FWandE
FWandE

Mandrake wrote:
The Merc photo is just more zoomed in so the whole car looks bigger.
All slightly different angles as well.

AeroDynamic

venturi tunnel floor entrance

NathanOlder

AeroDynamic wrote:
23 Feb 2022, 13:43
Mandrake wrote:
its larger. Look at the outer edge as well at the base wing plane, less taper to the corners.
Yes I agree, the 2 elements look very similar in size for the whole length. Where as the other cars look smaller on the lower element , certainly at the ends.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC