Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Re: Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

forty-two

Great images IMBW

Are McLaren setting up Jenson and Lewis' cars differently for a direct comparison, or do we think they're already going down different routes to one another?

Jenson: Blowing Main Plane

Lewis: Blowing Flap
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

SiLo

Anthony Davidson just said that Mclaren have done away with the side springs from the rear (front? cant remember) suspension which can aid traction but will lift the front of the car on turn in.
Felipe Baby!

segedunum
segedunum

Not sure. It could be, but then again we've seen McLaren hedge their bets before with taking various parts off after Friday after comparisons when they don't seem to be confident. They've been uncertain about that flap blowing wing in the past.

On the face of it, when you look at how well Renault and Red Bull have done with that rear wing modification then there should really be no reason for them to be running the old blown wing method at all.

kalinka
kalinka

I heard it too, it was аbout rear side springs.

They say now on BBC that you can see actually the engine overrun blue flames from EBD.

forty-two

Looks like the front suspension setup is angled quite a bit, or is this a trick of the light?

Is this what I've heard described as "Anti-dive", because if anything I would've thought that a setup like this would be inclined to allow the nose to dip significantly under braking, or at least it would if the suspension allowed more than 3mm of travel!
The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the Universe and ... Everything?

autogyro
autogyro

Looks like McLaren are stretching things to the limit like Ferrari.
Ten laps?

ringo

forty-two wrote:Image

Looks like the front suspension setup is angled quite a bit, or is this a trick of the light?

Is this what I've heard described as "Anti-dive", because if anything I would've thought that a setup like this would be inclined to allow the nose to dip significantly under braking, or at least it would if the suspension allowed more than 3mm of travel!
Funny thing is Ferrari and Redbull dont have much anti dive. The arms look inline when viewed from the front for those cars.
I think anti dive adds to the stiffness of the car, since the arms take up some of the forces when they bind. This could be an inherent drawback with their car as well compared to the redbull.

Whaty do they mean by side springs? It can't be the main springs?
For Sure!!

murtoidf1
murtoidf1

ringo wrote:
forty-two wrote:Image

Funny thing is Ferrari and Redbull dont have much anti dive. The arms look inline when viewed from the front for those cars.
I think anti dive adds to the stiffness of the car, since the arms take up some of the forces when they bind. This could be an inherent drawback with their car as well compared to the redbull.

Whaty do they mean by side springs? It can't be the main springs?

mclarens anti dive and rigid suspension bot suggest the car is too sensitive when the ride height is lowered or increased

ringo

Martin Whitmarsh, McLaren team principal
“We come to this race determined to end an already successful season on a high, and to consolidate our second position in the constructors’ world championship. To that end, we’ve aggressively refined our rear wing design into its final iteration, and initial tests suggest it’s delivering the additional performance we’d anticipated.
#-o developement pace is just too slow. This pace should have been there 3 races ago.
For Sure!!

megasyxx
megasyxx

segedunum wrote:It's funny to think that someone on this forum earlier in this thread was fired from McLaren for sharing some nuggets with us, although in truth he didn't share very much.
who is it are you talking about if i may ask? and what page number so i can read it (please? thanks) :D

SiLo

I'm not sure what they mean by side springs, or where they are exactly, but they said something about relying on the roll bar so maybe that has something to do with it?
Felipe Baby!

Mysticf1
Mysticf1

try searching for "dead zone"...can't quite remember his username...was it goonie?

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

megasyxx wrote:
segedunum wrote:It's funny to think that someone on this forum earlier in this thread was fired from McLaren for sharing some nuggets with us, although in truth he didn't share very much.
who is it are you talking about if i may ask? and what page number so i can read it (please? thanks) :D
It's all been deleted, he wiped it all before he left, not quite sure what he was expecting to happen after posting pictures of himself etc.

chill210
chill210

SiLo wrote:Anthony Davidson just said that Mclaren have done away with the side springs from the rear (front? cant remember) suspension which can aid traction but will lift the front of the car on turn in.
I believe that mclaren have got rid of the springs completely from the front of the car, this has made the car worse on braking because there is no give at the front of the car (why jenson is struggling with locking brakes) but enables good cornering a greater top end because they can get on the power earlier which in turn maximises there strengths top end speed. if they can solve the stopping problems mclaren will fly. (if they could get some movement out of the tire ie lower pressures this could help but it would then be harder to turn the tire on get more heat in to it, or maybe get the carbon struts to give more to try to get the tire to byte under breaking.

I would be interested to hear your comments on this.
CHILL

May be they are testing for next season,
these problems have been with mclaren in the second half of the season (not being able to turn tires on, braking locking, but the car has been the stiffest on the grid, both drivers have suffered a lot with stopping the cars looking like the have out braked there selves especially at restarts also the front end of the car has broke easily where other cars have took bumps better.