RB20 speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
organic

Re: RB20 speculation

Vanja #66 wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 09:48
Alpine A522 did have a hint of overbite, but this solution seems like it was indeed inspired by W14's unfortunate and compromised B-spec sidepods. Bigger airbox could have lead to smaller side inlets, which would provide almost the same amount of space under the inlet itself as final RB19 spec.

I'd have to say RB would definitely want to open up a new development path, even if the first iteration is a compromise in one specific area. With a top side inlet already up there and high as possible, you can't improve that area further.

The one thing that surprises me is seemingly bigger width of the sides in the undercut region, so called g-line (the joint between floor and sidepod). I'd attribute that to being the compromised solution that resulted from switching to overbite inlet.
G-line/undercut comparison

Rb18, rb19, rb20

Vanja #66

organic wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 10:02

Rb18, rb19, rb20
Looks more like launch-spec RB18 shape to me, but more refined. Or am I seeing things? :?

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

organic

Vanja #66 wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 10:09
organic wrote:

Rb18, rb19, rb20
https://i.imgur.com/s3AgX4q.jpeg
Looks more like launch-spec RB18 shape to me, but more refined. Or am I seeing things? :?

https://i.imgur.com/AxINyCm.jpg
Yup pretty much. Rumours are, like 2022, they will bring a more updated car to preseason testing. Maybe they adapted this old rb18 sidepod cover for the shakedown to increase development time on the final sidepod :wtf:

If this is the sidepod to be raced I'd be surprised. Then again maybe there's a big aggressive waterslide that required a lot of volume

Sieper

The sidepod is a big change, from underbite to overbite, even more room above the floor. I do think this is what is going to be raced. The shoulders are also a further evolution or where they have been moving too, and indeed is very similar to the W14. Especially the ends of the halo doubling as the beginning of the shoulder which is a very elegant solution. Not very pretty but ok.

OO7
OO7

Cs98 wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 21:58
Thing about W14 is the inlet is still easily visible because of its size. RB20 must have a tiny inlet because even on these better pictures there's no hint of it. The profile of the sidepod gives no hint where it starts.
https://i.imgur.com/qw2jD9Z.png
https://i.postimg.cc/XJwNPHfP/image.png
The RB's sidepod inlet is likely much wider than that on the W14, allowing it to be a lot thinner in the process.

organic

Might be crazy but I'm seeing a bulge and possible outlet on the engine cover, in similar area to Ferrari's s-duct outlet last year

The bulge is visible from every angle I've looked at

Feel like an s-duct would work particularly well with an overbite solution as you don't have need for two separate inlets

vorticism

Some things I’ve noticed in the images posted by @Charlie_S_F1 & @UkOwners:

Nosecone: Longer, with four fused wing elements i.e. no lower element passing under. Similar to prev seasons’ Ferrari nosecone. Possibly for drag reduction. RB18 & RB19 had the lower wing element separated.

Front suspension: The upper forward arm attachment point appears to be kicked back further. It should look relatively severe in the coming photos. It’s now so far back that it’s in approximately the same area where pushrods intersect the chassis on pushrod equipped cars; if so, this detail would not be easily duplicated on a front pushrod equipped car. Their front suspension design has been on a different planet for three seasons now and no fans or press have been able to say definitively if it’s an aero concept or a kinematics concept.

Sidepod inlet
: I’ll agree with others it appears to be underneath the leading edge blade. This was the next logical step for them. The simple way to raise the sidepod leading edge higher than it was on the RB19 while maintaining inlet frontal area was to place it over top the inlet. I'm expecting a letterbox shape--the RB19 inlet upside down.

Halo smoothing: Follows with their various low drag details on RB18 & RB19. It leads to the cannon exit and should work easily with their simple cylindrical louver array from the RB19.

Roll hoop inlet / engine intake: Shorter, wider, and rectangular. Looks to be roughly the same total area. The big change is that it is heavily recessed at the base which entails a return to roll hoop support pylons, which the RB18 & RB19 did not have.

Cannon exit: Steeply slopped downward; seems to be the most steeply pitched cannon exit seen thus far.

Overall the car appears longer (need to verify). The sidepod undercut (i.e. the area by the edge wing) looks unchanged.

AR3-GP wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 21:45
Adrian's championship sidequest. Win with the opposition's car. :lol:
There’s the FIA bodywork spec, and then there’s the winning spec of that spec, which Newey & RB have dictated for fifteen years running.

One rebranded user ITT with an etymologically entertaining confabulation of a username which translates as, “To suck,” (lol) seemed to think this car is literally the W14, however the plan view shapes of the sidepod inlet leading edge on the RB19 & W14 were identical and dictated by a regulatory bounding box, same as the AMR22. The shapes in that region are no secret. The W14 was a step back toward convention after a step away from it while the RB18 & RB19 never strayed far from it to begin with, so the comparison is trite and reads like the myriad MSM tier FUD posts found recently in the F1-sphere regarding RB’s imminent "implosion" (lol) and subsequent total brain drain to Maranello (lol) coincidentally issued by the “Fangio of 100 hp output advantages” fans in trademark monotonic drone. Yawn.

Regardless there was a mid-wing present on the RB14 which predated the W13 by four years and exploiting essentially the same regulatory wording, a car which had not only a mid-wing but a sidepod inlet beneath a mid-wing, meaning the general concept was already in RB’s repertoire 6+ years prior to this RB20.

May as well call them RB14 pods.
Last edited by vorticism on 14 Feb 2024, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.
𓄀

chrstphrln

organic wrote:

Rb18, rb19, rb20

https://i.imgur.com/jNTY0fz.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/s3AgX4q.jpeg
Extremely clear similarities. I see this as a logical continuation of the path they took last year, but nothing revolutionary.
I can understand why Red Bull is still a little unsure whether evolution is enough to keep the competition at bay.

On the other hand, let's wait and see what the tests reveal and what the details look like.

Cs98
Cs98

I'm starting to think I can see an inlet. Right under the midwing there's a quite clearly defined rectangular darker area, the lower border of the rectangle starts just above the lower part of the red line.
Looks to be a very small inlet if this is indeed it.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Cs98
Cs98

GrizzleBoy wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 11:38
RB19.
Last edited by Cs98 on 14 Feb 2024, 11:47, edited 1 time in total.

lio007

GrizzleBoy wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 11:38
That's RB19!

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

Well that's annoying 🤦‍♂️

RedNEO

Cs98 wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 11:18
I'm starting to think I can see an inlet. Right under the midwing there's a quite clearly defined rectangular darker area, the lower border of the rectangle starts just above the lower part of the red line.
https://i.imgur.com/hdAjXHu.png

Yup.. still an underbite. Not sure why everyone was assuming overbite when you can’t even see any opening to suggest that was the case.

CjC
CjC

RedNEO wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 12:19
Cs98 wrote:
14 Feb 2024, 11:18
https://i.imgur.com/hdAjXHu.png
https://i.postimg.cc/1twwfGx7/kK6lUUt.jpg

Yup.. still an underbite. Not sure why everyone was assuming overbite when you can’t even see any opening to suggest that was the case.
That an insanely small inlet =D>
Just a fan's point of view