2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dans79

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

DChemTech wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 20:51
McG wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 20:42
I don't think there was much else F1 could have done to try and hand this season to RB. First the floor rule change, then letting Verstappen off with as much qs possible whilst bending the rules on track to suit RB. Such a shame. I've never seen a less deserving team and driver combination win a championship, and I watched all of Michael Schumachers seasons so that's saying something!
Sorry, but what? Floor change was preseason. There was time to anticipate.
Doesn't matter if you knew before the end of 2020, If they only way you can fix it was spending more than 2 tokens then you couldn't fix it! Merc spend the first half of the season working around it, the best they could!
201 105 104 9 9 7

McG

dans79 wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 20:59
DChemTech wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 20:51
McG wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 20:42
I don't think there was much else F1 could have done to try and hand this season to RB. First the floor rule change, then letting Verstappen off with as much qs possible whilst bending the rules on track to suit RB. Such a shame. I've never seen a less deserving team and driver combination win a championship, and I watched all of Michael Schumachers seasons so that's saying something!
Sorry, but what? Floor change was preseason. There was time to anticipate.
Doesn't matter if you knew before the end of 2020, If they only way you can fix it was spending more than 2 tokens then you couldn't fix it! Merc spend the first half of the season working around it, the best they could!
Exactly. It was a rule designed to help RB and handicap Merc and a bonus that it severely handicapped Aston Martin. I wonder how it would have felt for RB if an exact opposite rule came in limiting the hight of the rear of the car and extending the floor width. Happens all the time to curb dominant teams but this one was unfair as the FIA knew the leading cars had different philosophies in that area.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

McG

Norris criticising the safety car procedure too

https://www.racefans.net/2021/12/12/nor ... as-for-tv/

Well the appeals have been thrown out by the stewards. Laughable really. You have to laugh.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

proteus

I do wonder how did Mercedes managed to get a car that trailed behind RedBull to become the fastest machine, even when having harder old tyres, while chasing car had fresh rubber and was in full pursuit? How come the engine havent degrated even a tiny bit, jet being pushed to its maximum in the last 3 races and without falling to pieces while Valtteri had so much problems during the season.

Tyres managing to whitstand all the sliding and pushing and being fastest even with front wing endplate missing in previous race. This last machine was an absolute monster and i wonder why have they released it at the end, since they would take the titles far sooner with such an advantage with ease?
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

McG

proteus wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 22:06
I do wonder how did Mercedes managed to get a car that trailed behind RedBull to become the fastest machine, even when having harder old tyres, while chasing car had fresh rubber and was in full pursuit? How come the engine havent degrated even a tiny bit, jet being pushed to its maximum in the last 3 races and without falling to pieces while Valtteri had so much problems during the season.

Tyres managing to whitstand all the sliding and pushing and being fastest even with front wing endplate missing in previous race. This last machine was an absolute monster and i wonder why have they released it at the end, since they would take the titles far sooner with such an advantage with ease?
Merc simply did a better job at the end of the day. I thought they might have something in hand near the end. A team like that doesn't just get beaten by a Honda powered team. I think the engine changes for Hamilton worked out well along with finding what the alleged issue was with degradation and lack of power. When you think about it, without Verstappen's dirty driving and laughable clown of a race director Hamilton would have won the championship several races ago because the things we have seen this year from Verstappen warrant race bans, not ignored.

rickybobbyf1
rickybobbyf1

Man, I feel terrible, so gutted after this. My heart was ripped out, all while violating the rules. They wont give Ham the championship, but I wished Merc would pursue everything, make Mr. Harris earn his money.

jurinius
jurinius

Welcome to the "let them race" era... Just makes me laugh to be honest. Mercedes did a tremendous job on this end of the season. Well deserved WCC . But they are probably affected by Lewis standing now...

On a side note, I am still thinking that Bottas drive in the second part of the season really exposed Hamilton. I don't want to think it was deliberately made because he is a very good driver. I saw Lewis making most of the last races in very high intensity because he was racing against two RedBull, that can really affect his health... Good finish anyway.
Last edited by jurinius on 12 Dec 2021, 23:32, edited 1 time in total.
“And suddenly I realized that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension.”
― Ayrton Senna

seense
seense

McG wrote:
12 Dec 2021, 21:24
Norris criticising the safety car procedure too

https://www.racefans.net/2021/12/12/nor ... as-for-tv/

Well the appeals have been thrown out by the stewards. Laughable really. You have to laugh.
Just like he criticised the allowance to change tires during red flags. Yes, that's how Lewis was able to reclaim 18 points in Imola after he made a race ending mistake. All that rubbish of stolen victories etc. They all are lucky and unlucky sometimes. Verstappen was lucky today. That's how it goes.

Lots of respect for Lewis however. Wolff acting like sore loser showing only WCC is not of any importance.

1m0bius1
1m0bius1

What an absolute joke. I've been a neutral fan for years. The way hamilton was robbed at the end was disgusting and a disgrace. Masi shouldn't be given a job anywhere near motorsport.

AMG.Tzan

Perez today proved what working for your team means! Bottas has never managed to defend to an opponent that way and that has cost Mercedes so much!

If Bottas was second today nothing of all that nonsense would have happened! But he wasn't 2nd...he wasn't even in a position to pressure Perez! Hopefully Russell will be much better at this than Bottas was all those years!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

lucafo

The good part is that Mercedes didn't won a championship with such a nonsense.
They should just put their heads up and give the answer on track next year!

Darth-Piekus

I've been a fan of Mclaren and F1 since 1988 from the days of Senna and Prost. I have been a fan of Hamilton since the day he arrived at Mclaren in 2007. Just like then he had his rightful championship stolen by changing a clear rule. Back then 3 cars in front were found after technical checks with illegal temperature on their fuel resulting in extra performance. Despite all Max Mosley decided to change rule of a penalty to those cars for illegalities and deny the appeal claiming that the illegalities of those 3 cars did not change the result. Mclaren was also denied to appeal to the International Court of Appeals for that also and the championship went to Raikkonen. Today the same rule changing thing happened and Hamilton had another championship stolen as Michael Masi decided that we want another champion.

Mclarensenna

I am curious as to why Hamilton did not cover the inside line as Max usually does and brake very late pushing the other car out wide like Max did in Brazil for example. Covering the outside is usually suicide against Max as he will almost certainly push you wide. Anybody else here think Lewis should have defended the inside which might have given him a better chance to hold on?
Ayrton Senna: Pure driving, pure racing, that´s what makes me happy.

Jolle
Jolle

Mclarensenna wrote:
13 Dec 2021, 02:04
I am curious as to why Hamilton did not cover the inside line as Max usually does and brake very late pushing the other car out wide like Max did in Brazil for example. Covering the outside is usually suicide against Max as he will almost certainly push you wide. Anybody else here think Lewis should have defended the inside which might have given him a better chance to hold on?
Because… with old, cold hard tires you are going to loose, inside, outside and on the straights. The only chance at that moment was either a malfunction on the RedBull, a mistake of Verstappen or, most likely, an overtake that would have gone so badly that they could deduct points from Verstappen. That’s why Hamilton had to give Verstappen a chance to crash into him or a 5 second penalty offence

DR30
DR30

Mclarensenna wrote:
13 Dec 2021, 02:04
Maybe as Hamilton had already set the president that you could take to the runoff and gain a big advantage and get away with it early in the race :-k