2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

JordanMugen wrote:
mwillems wrote:
28 Jun 2021, 00:00
Is he chasing a way to make his style work rather than adapting and doing what Lando does, in the belief that ultimately he can find a faster way through and he doesn't want to compromise?
Would it be a simplification to say the McLaren needs a V-shaped corner profile (braking in a straight line, turn the car hard, throttle in a straight line), whereas Ricciardo is trying to drive a classical U-shaped corner profile? :)
What you can tell from the telemetry is that Daniel is longer on the brakes, he brakes earlier and longer than Lando, therefore his cornering speed is lower.

Lando also manages to get the car straight as you well mention faster, therefore he can be on the throttle harder than Daniel and that’s why he carries more speed all through the next straight… My very amateur opinion is that Lando trust the brakes more than Daniel and therefore is not afraid of delaying brake application and he puts more pressure on them without locking them up… He also has a better sense of grip on the car and that’s why his turn in is a little sharper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

runningmanz
runningmanz

SmallSoldier wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 17:37
Chicane wrote:There was no persisting PU issue. He pins his entire race on being struck in traffic when Leclerc carved through the field like a knife through butter with that Ferrari engine.
Leclerc carved through the field thanks to a tire advantage… Been on Mediums versus everyone else on not only Hards, but Hards with several laps on them made the overtakes easier

Exactly and also Leclercs passes were all made on cars in front that didn't have DRS, its clear on the live timing. In contrast Ricciardo was almost always stuck trying to pass in a DRS train, which was nigh on impossible. Feel gutted for Dan at the PU issue. It was a really strong start and had set his race up beautifully for a chance at redemption. Even Seidl apologised to him after the race.

Further elaboration on the PU issue.

https://www.racefans.net/2021/06/27/ric ... ing-start/

runningmanz
runningmanz

Chicane wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 18:24
SmallSoldier wrote:
27 Jun 2021, 17:37
Chicane wrote:There was no persisting PU issue. He pins his entire race on being struck in traffic when Leclerc carved through the field like a knife through butter with that Ferrari engine.
Leclerc carved through the field thanks to a tire advantage… Been on Mediums versus everyone else on not only Hards, but Hards with several laps on them made the overtakes easier

Ricciardo struggled to get by even when Raikonnen didn't have DRS and Ricciardo was on fresher tyres. I followed every sector of his on live timing and i can tell you he was struggling on corner exits. This is a rear limited track and traction out of corners is critical to get by. Ricciardo, just like in qualifying loosing chunks of time in corner exits particularly turn 3 and to a lesser extent turn 9. He had the car advantage , DRS , fresher tyres and struggled to make an impression on Raikonnen even when he didn't have DRS.

With the kind of tyre advantage he had his pace even in times he was on free air was nothing to write home about. He needs to completely reset and find a new approach cos clearly he failed to make a step after what was a difficult qualifying.

Before you ask, i am a McLaren fan who wants him to succeed for McLaren to hold on to 3rd place in the championship. Mclaren currently are fighting with one hand tied behind their back.
Thats not true I watched the live timing lap for lap as well. Both tyres were the same number of laps however Dan was on well worn mediums at that stage when Kimi was not getting a DRS tow from cars in front from around lap 22 for a few laps, while Kimi's hards had plenty of life left in them not even being halfway used. Also Kimi and Dan were about the same top speed through the speed trap. 2kph or so diff. So no not any advantage. After that Dan was stuck in DRS trains on the hards.

Mclarensenna

To all the people here doubting Rics abilities seem to forget that Ric last year in an inferior Renault beat both Lando and Carlos.
They also seem to forget that Sainz gotten beaten by Hulk at Renault whereas Ric beat Hulk so Ric clearly adapted quicker than Sainz at Renault.
Lets not also forget how quickly Ric adapted to the 2014 Redbull from race 1, and got 3 wins that year to Vettels 0 who had 5 years in that car.

Answer this question. Hypothetically speaking If Ric had stayed at Renault and had the 2021 car designed around his feedback/input and Lando joined him at Renault replacing Ocon with only 3 days testing do they not think Ric would have beat Lando by at least the same margin Lando is beating Ric right now?
Ayrton Senna: Pure driving, pure racing, that´s what makes me happy.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Mclarensenna wrote:
28 Jun 2021, 07:08
To all the people here doubting Rics abilities seem to forget that Ric last year in an inferior Renault beat both Lando and Carlos.
They also seem to forget that Sainz gotten beaten by Hulk at Renault whereas Ric beat Hulk so Ric clearly adapted quicker than Sainz at Renault.
Lets not also forget how quickly Ric adapted to the 2014 Redbull from race 1, and got 3 wins that year to Vettels 0 who had 5 years in that car.

Answer this question. Hypothetically speaking If Ric had stayed at Renault and had the 2021 car designed around his feedback/input and Lando joined him at Renault replacing Ocon with only 3 days testing do they not think Ric would have beat Lando by at least the same margin Lando is beating Ric right now?
Totally agree with everything you say, with the exception of the MCL 35m being built around Lando, which I think is being really over-played

For a start The chassis is a carryover from last year, which would have originally been developed in Lando’s first year as an F1 driver, and therefore would’ve been more tailored to suit Carlos

Then we have the rules brought in to reduce the downforce, which to be quite frank haven’t been tailored to anybody, they’ve just been the best solutions teams can come up with

Finally they are running on different brother this year, which without doubt has altered the balance and handling of all cars

Yes, Lando has more experience in the team, and to a certain extent of the car, but I think it’s more luck with the car seats Nando’s style more than what it does Daniels, and also Lando deserves credit for just being awesome

JRindt

Mclarensenna wrote:

You’re just contradicting yourself. If Ricciardo is able to adapt in a Redbull and Renault straight out of the box, why is he not able to do that here? Does that mean he is outright slower than lando?

I don’t personally think so, atleast not by that margin.

As to your hypothetical lando at Renault scenario, it’s a whole lot of what ifs. Maybe lando would have beat Daniel by the same margins or maybe it’s the opposite. Frankly I don’t care, because it’s not real or relevant.

What’s real is, Carlos is matching the highly rated leclerc in a car which he didn’t give any inputs into. Fernando is beating ocon after being 2 years out of the sport and even the much maligned vettel is beating stroll. While Perez is not matching verstappen yet, he’s not that far off. All of them have not had any inputs into the cars they’re driving now. And this is hurting Mclaren right now.

Honestly, I don’t have any answers to Daniel’s problems. But he better figure it out quickly or his reputation will take a huge hit.

Lucky
Lucky

Mclarensenna wrote:
Lando would be a little ahead.

MrGapes

Lucky wrote:
28 Jun 2021, 08:56
Mclarensenna wrote:
Lando would be a little ahead.
The way I see Lando driving this year, would also agree

Mclarensenna

JRindt wrote:
28 Jun 2021, 08:34
Mclarensenna wrote:

You’re just contradicting yourself. If Ricciardo is able to adapt in a Redbull and Renault straight out of the box, why is he not able to do that here? Does that mean he is outright slower than lando?

As to your hypothetical lando at Renault scenario, it’s a whole lot of what ifs. Maybe lando would have beat Daniel by the same margins or maybe it’s the opposite. Frankly I don’t care, because it’s not real or relevant.

What’s real is, Carlos is matching the highly rated leclerc in a car which he didn’t give any inputs into. Fernando is beating ocon after being 2 years out of the sport and even the much maligned vettel is beating stroll. While Perez is not matching verstappen yet, he’s not that far off. All of them have not had any inputs into the cars they’re driving now. And this is hurting Mclaren right now.

Honestly, I don’t have any answers to Daniel’s problems. But he better figure it out quickly or his reputation will take a huge hit.
How exactly did i contradict myself??

The Renault according to Hulk never changed from the day he joined and all the handling issues it had where there always for years.
Sainz joined with 4 races to adapt the year before and gave some input/feedback on the following years car.
And still did not adapt enough to beat Hulk. Ric managed to with much less seat time and zero feedback on the 2019 car. Sainz had a HUGE advantage and still did not beat Hulk.
That is a very strong reference point using Hulk as a benchmark.
Saying Ric adapted quicker than Sainz while he had a bigger handicap is logical using Hulk as a reference in a Renault car that never changed for years.

All the other comparisons you mention do not use a strong a reference point.
The Ferrari is a different car to the Renault. Maybe it is the easiest car to drive.
Maybe it is 5 times easier to drive than the Mclaren.
Maybe Sainz being able to test and drive previous years cars at Fiorano have given him a massive advantage over Ric who has never driven any previous Mclaren.
This is a very very poor comparison to make as opposed to comparing Sainz with Hulk and Ric with Hulk with almost an identical difficult car to drive Renault that Hulk confirmed many times had never changed.
Ric adapted better to the Renault than Sainz. You cannot deny that based on all the facts.

Stroll is a very very slow driver compared to Lando. Perez made him look like a backmarker in 2020. Of course Vettel should be beating him. Ric drove vettels car in 3 tests and was always quicker. In the 2013 test at silvesstone Rid did not even fit in the seat and was quicker instantly than Vettel in short and long run pace. Then 2014 was quicker with 3 wins to 0. Ric is a a WAYY better adaptor than Vettel in equal machinary. Ric proved this multiple times. Vettel adapting better than Stroll just means vettel is better than Stroll. No way is he better than Ric in equal cars. Its a fact.
Another very poor comparison you made.

Fernando is beating Ocon yes but so did Ric. And Ric beat Hulk in his first year at Renault. He adapted to the renault so yes not sure what your point is here.
Fernando also drove last years Renault and gave feedback/input on the 2021 design so you are completely wrong here saying all of them did not have input as Alonso definately did.
So Alonso has a big advantage this year compared to Ric so an unfair comparison.
Last edited by Mclarensenna on 28 Jun 2021, 09:51, edited 3 times in total.

mwillems

JordanMugen wrote:
28 Jun 2021, 00:45
mwillems wrote:
28 Jun 2021, 00:00
Is he chasing a way to make his style work rather than adapting and doing what Lando does, in the belief that ultimately he can find a faster way through and he doesn't want to compromise?
Would it be a simplification to say the McLaren needs a V-shaped corner profile (braking in a straight line, turn the car hard, throttle in a straight line), whereas Ricciardo is trying to drive a classical U-shaped corner profile? :)
No, because he is doing a V already.

Point is it looks like in turn 9 and ten that he could slow his entry to the corners more to allow him to keep more speed mid corner and to find the exit earlier, but is choosing not to. As to why, I don't know.

In sectors 1 and 2 he starts and finishing braking at the same time as lando, but slows less, which does seem to be feel for the brakes. But then they still seem neck and neck anyway, so perhaps that's not important.

But in sector 3 it seems to not be about braking technique, it appears to be a choice. He could dab the brake in turn nine but doesn't, and takes an age to rotate and visibly loses time.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

_cerber1

=D> =D> =D>

Mclarensenna

_cerber1 wrote:
28 Jun 2021, 10:39
=D> =D> =D>
wow the FIA's pit stop directive has boosted Mclaren!

ScottR267
ScottR267

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Mclarensenna wrote:
JRindt wrote:
28 Jun 2021, 08:34
Mclarensenna wrote:

How exactly did i contradict myself??

The Renault according to Hulk never changed from the day he joined and all the handling issues it had where there always for years.
Sainz joined with 4 races to adapt the year before and gave some input/feedback on the following years car.
And still did not adapt enough to beat Hulk. Ric managed to with much less seat time and zero feedback on the 2019 car. Sainz had a HUGE advantage and still did not beat Hulk.
That is a very strong reference point using Hulk as a benchmark.
Saying Ric adapted quicker than Sainz while he had a bigger handicap is logical using Hulk as a reference in a Renault car that never changed for years.

All the other comparisons you mention do not use a strong a reference point.
The Ferrari is a different car to the Renault. Maybe it is the easiest car to drive.
Maybe it is 5 times easier to drive than the Mclaren.
Maybe Sainz being able to test and drive previous years cars at Fiorano have given him a massive advantage over Ric who has never driven any previous Mclaren.
This is a very very poor comparison to make as opposed to comparing Sainz with Hulk and Ric with Hulk with almost an identical difficult car to drive Renault that Hulk confirmed many times had never changed.
Ric adapted better to the Renault than Sainz. You cannot deny that based on all the facts.

Stroll is a very very slow driver compared to Lando. Perez made him look like a backmarker in 2020. Of course Vettel should be beating him. Ric drove vettels car in 3 tests and was always quicker. In the 2013 test at silvesstone Rid did not even fit in the seat and was quicker instantly than Vettel in short and long run pace. Then 2014 was quicker with 3 wins to 0. Ric is a a WAYY better adaptor than Vettel in equal machinary. Ric proved this multiple times. Vettel adapting better than Stroll just means vettel is better than Stroll. No way is he better than Ric in equal cars. Its a fact.
Another very poor comparison you made.

Fernando is beating Ocon yes but so did Ric. And Ric beat Hulk in his first year at Renault. He adapted to the renault so yes not sure what your point is here.
Fernando also drove last years Renault and gave feedback/input on the 2021 design so you are completely wrong here saying all of them did not have input as Alonso definately did.
So Alonso has a big advantage this year compared to Ric so an unfair comparison.
I do believe that comparisons based on: X driver beat driver Y, Y driver later beat Z, therefore driver X is better than driver Z are flawed because not only are the cars continuously evolving, the drivers themselves also have peaks and valleys of performance through their careers.

The MCL35M has the same chassis as the MCL35, but if we go by what Lando says, they are different cars in regards to their handling… Lando actually stated that he had to change how he drives in order to get more from the MCL35M.

The reality is that Daniel is not having a good start to the year, it’s clear that part of it is due the car’s characteristics, but he is a professional driver with almost a decade of experience in F1 that by now should be able to adapt to it… More importantly, what seems to be missing is confidence, not only with the car, but with himself and until the results start coming it will be something that will hinder him and his performance.

The mental aspect of the sport is one that is not easy to manage, while we see with Lando that he has a lot of momentum and self believe (which is helping him put some great performances on track), we can see the other end of the spectrum with Daniel, who is probably questioning everything trying to understand what is going wrong, the more you get in your head, the harder it will be to get those last tenths out of the car.

At the level they race, the “feel” for the car and what it can do is what allows them to get close to the limit… During the last weekend, Daniel made a comment in regards to feeling that he was close to the limit of grip on the car, which clearly isn’t the case since Lando can get a bit more out of it… Hopefully one of these weekends something will “click” for Daniel and he will be out of nowhere up to speed with the car.

But, he is a great driver and he has the resume to back it up, this is just an off season for him, I’m sure he will turn it around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Emag
Emag

People tend to get disappointed when reality doesn't match their expectations. Part of why everyone is so unhappy with Daniel's performance is because everyone expected him to be way better than what he has currently displayed.

It should be stated however that it is very unfair to judge drivers based only on their bad days. Even Max was getting bashed in 2017 / early 2018 for his crashes and aggressive maneuvers on track. Back then it was Daniel who was getting the praise, but look where we are now. Everyone hits a slump every once in a while, you can't really do much about it. Something is clearly not going well for Daniel this season, but that doesn't mean we should label him mediocre because he has shown previously that he can be very competitive when things go his way.

I myself have been very critical of Daniel this season but in no way have I written him off as a driver. It is certainly disappointing to have him this far off Lando, especially since McLaren is in a very tight battle with Ferrari on the constructors. But what can you do, it is what it is. Neither the team or Daniel wants to be in this situation and we can be sure that they working as hard as possible to improve.