Mercedes W13

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
vorticism

Re: Mercedes W13

Big Tea wrote:
31 Aug 2022, 20:48
Did they not run a pre-season variant with widepods? This must have given them an indication of which part was the more troublesome
Was it for benchmarking or for secrecy?

𓄀

Shakeman

Merc has pre season test data and all their simulation data which indicated to them that the current W13 was the way to go.

Lewis’ description of the car handling and straight line performance post Spa were absolutely damning, a complete 180 from the obvious excitement at the prospect of being back in the hunt for a win in the lead up to Spa. That excitement obviously came from sim data concerning the new update package which was a significant update not just tweaks. Clearly a huge amount of development hours and resources went into it for not a lot of returns.

Merc is obviously missing something fairly significant and I’m sure that’s goal number one to explain the glaring correlation problem. We might see both cars running different floors and setups during FPs until they get this cracked.

Big Tea

Under the current rulings now, when will they be able to test this car on a track?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Mercedes new rear wing:

Vía: Albert Fabrega

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

organic

SmallSoldier wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 13:54
Mercedes new rear wing:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202209 ... 41798a.jpg

Barcelona/monaco rear wing with the same wing tips as the other wings?

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

organic wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 14:08
SmallSoldier wrote:
Mercedes new rear wing:

Barcelona main plane… Monaco didn’t had the inverted spoon shape in the middle, right?

organic

SmallSoldier wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 14:18
organic wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
Mercedes new rear wing:

Barcelona main plane… Monaco didn’t had the inverted spoon shape in the middle, right?

pursue_one's

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

organic wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 14:21
SmallSoldier wrote:
01 Sep 2022, 14:18
organic wrote:

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/2JA4AWC/lewis ... JA4AWC.jpg
Thanks! I stand corrected… Got confused :)

organic

PlatinumZealot

No Goblin wing then.. :?: I really wonder if that rumour is true anyway.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

wjpbill
wjpbill

PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 01:57
No Goblin wing then.. :?: I really wonder if that rumour is true anyway.
What is a Goblin wing?

Mr5in1

I've been hearing Merc running very low here in Netherlands, does anyone have any comparisons to Spa.

I have my own opinion that the lack of pure performance from Merc is a combination of floor + floor height and the weight of the car.

I thought the gulf in performance to Red Bull in Spa was purely down to ride height and qualifying I firmly believe it is down to weight which isn't so much of a factor with race fuel onboard.

Andi76
Andi76

Mr5in1 wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 15:10
I've been hearing Merc running very low here in Netherlands, does anyone have any comparisons to Spa.

I have my own opinion that the lack of pure performance from Merc is a combination of floor + floor height and the weight of the car.

I thought the gulf in performance to Red Bull in Spa was purely down to ride height and qualifying I firmly believe it is down to weight which isn't so much of a factor with race fuel onboard.
In Spa Mercedes was said to have to run their cars 5mm higher. But at Spa this is completely normal. Because of the compression in Eau Rouge all the teams run their cars (almost)as high as possible. And the performance at Spa was not worse than on other tracks. The gap to Ferrari and all the other teams was literally the same as always.

One of the problems for the lack of performance was(once again) told by Toto and several engineers at Spa - the car is too "draggy". I think "carries too much drag"- was how Toto and the engineers had put it. So one of Mercedes problems is certainly aero-efficiency. And in history of F1 cars with similar performance problems like the Mercedes often had problems with the aerodynamics of their cars. So next to getting the tyres work in qualifying and the car being to draggy, i think Mercedes has some kind of aero-problem. But thats speculation and guessing anyway, as they admit that they themselves do not know the problem. If we would - we would get a job at the Mercedes F1-Team instantly.

iRacer

Andi76 wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 16:01
Mr5in1 wrote:
02 Sep 2022, 15:10

In Spa Mercedes was said to have to run their cars 5mm higher. But at Spa this is completely normal. Because of the compression in Eau Rouge all the teams run their cars (almost)as high as possible. And the performance at Spa was not worse than on other tracks. The gap to Ferrari and all the other teams was literally the same as always.

One of the problems for the lack of performance was(once again) told by Toto and several engineers at Spa - the car is too "draggy". I think "carries too much drag"- was how Toto and the engineers had put it. So one of Mercedes problems is certainly aero-efficiency. And in history of F1 cars with similar performance problems like the Mercedes often had problems with the aerodynamics of their cars. So next to getting the tyres work in qualifying and the car being to draggy, i think Mercedes has some kind of aero-problem. But thats speculation and guessing anyway, as they admit that they themselves do not know the problem. If we would - we would get a job at the Mercedes F1-Team instantly.
Drag because they have to use more wing because they have to raise the ride height because because.

In a small way this Mercedes reminds me a bit of some older Williams cars when Williams always had less bodywork at the rear. Mercedes have went for less bodywork but seems like less is not always more.