2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dans79

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

Tizz wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 18:33
El Scorchio wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 17:50
I did read that teams currently running lower rake might have a better transfer of compatible philosophy than high rake teams, but no idea if there's any truth in that.
Hmmm, funny, I think Merc already acknowledged they are leaving the low rake philosophy...
This type of knowledge transfer isn't a strait one to one type of deal. Teams with low rake experience will have more experience with when a floor stalls, and how a floor stalls when in close proximity (relatively speaking) to the ground.

Neither high rake, nor low rake will be an guaranteed benefit next year. What teams will need is a blend of the two to get maximum performance of a car. Imo, this is why we saw Merc raising the rake of the car during the course of the year, and why they experimented with more extreme rear end squat than other teams.
Last edited by dans79 on 16 Dec 2021, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
201 105 104 9 9 7

kenshi_blind

i am not saying Lewis is unbeatable but i find it amazing how people just casually talk about George who i highly rate can beat him as if it's something mundane . Lewis has seen how many reg changes again ?

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Big Tea wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 17:57
El Scorchio wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 17:46
Don't see any evidence for Russell not being able to challenge unless it's purely on ability. Mercedes have zero history of that sort of behaviour unless a championship challenge dictates it, contrary to some of the other teams.

Look at the Rosberg years.
It would not go down well, but would there be profit in 'asking' Russell to be a second driver next year?
As it will be a new car there will be a lot of development needed and if two drivers are racing each other neither will be as open with their feedback as they would if working together.

It would not be best for us, but maybe for the team and for following years.

speaking of which, if as suggested by some media Lewis walks, who would be the hot driver for that seat?
As a driver, I would like to see Gasly in there (of those available, not counting Max) but would a more experienced driver like Vettel be a better option?

A car new design would suggest an experienced driver, but one who would work in the team.
Surely theyd just get bottas back if lewis walks? Someone who is 100% integrated with the team already

Big Tea

Mchamilton wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 19:10
Big Tea wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:
Don't see any evidence for Russell not being able to challenge unless it's purely on ability. Mercedes have zero history of that sort of behaviour unless a championship challenge dictates it, contrary to some of the other teams.

It would not go down well, but would there be profit in 'asking' Russell to be a second driver next year?
As it will be a new car there will be a lot of development needed and if two drivers are racing each other neither will be as open with their feedback as they would if working together.

speaking of which, if as suggested by some media Lewis walks, who would be the hot driver for that seat?
As a driver, I would like to see Gasly in there (of those available, not counting Max) but would a more experienced driver like Vettel be a better option?

A car new design would suggest an experienced driver, but one who would work in the team.
Surely theyd just get bottas back if lewis walks? Someone who is 100% integrated with the team already
I really do not see Bottas as a team leader, and Russell is going to be the 'new boy' so it would not be fair to expect him to be team leader when Bottas has a long residence there.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

El Scorchio

Tizz wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 18:33
El Scorchio wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 17:50
I did read that teams currently running lower rake might have a better transfer of compatible philosophy than high rake teams, but no idea if there's any truth in that.
Hmmm, funny, I think Merc already acknowledged they are leaving the low rake philosophy...
I was under the impression from reading about the new regs that lower rake was better. i could have been misinformed.

El Scorchio

proteus wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 18:41
El Scorchio wrote:

I have seen the inside clash between Rosberg and Hamilton which resulted in battle on and off track, where longtime friendship was destroyed. Part of team prefering one driver and the other part of the team prefering the other. It was only their overall dominance of superior machine that enabled them to have an inside civil war and still take almost everything possible, while in equal terms with competition they would throw away their chances by clashing with each other.

I have no doubts George was informed that next year it is all about Lewis securing his 8th title and that clashes are not desirable. After that Lewis will probably retire and George will have free hands to start taking what will be up to grabs.
Your reply has basically nothing to do with the point I made. Mercedes have no team orders unless the title situation dictates it. I.E. free to race freely until such time as one driver is out of the picture. Aside from obviously Hamilton's designated mechanics supporting him and Rosberg's vice versa there was zero whiff of the team preferring one of them. If so why did they switch mechanics from one driver to another? Why was Rosberg 'allowed' to win in 2016?

Sorry, but what you say holds zero water in line with what history tells us.

El Scorchio

Big Tea wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 19:19
Mchamilton wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

I really do not see Bottas as a team leader, and Russell is going to be the 'new boy' so it would not be fair to expect him to be team leader when Bottas has a long residence there.
I think they'd go after Ricciardo or try and pinch one of the Ferrari duo. Maybe Norris would be a very outside bet.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

El Scorchio wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 19:41
Big Tea wrote:
Mchamilton wrote:

I think they'd go after Ricciardo or try and pinch one of the Ferrari duo. Maybe Norris would be a very outside bet.
(More unexpected) Grosjean ? Vandoorne ? Alonso (Piastri to replace him) ? Or in a desperate situation Stroll ?...

siskue2005

I am hearing rumours Lewis is gonna retire! I hope it's not true

PlatinumZealot

Tom145145 wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 15:27
From what we have seen this year and the fact that 2022 cars should have been introduced in 2021, what do people expect from Mercedes’ 2022 challenger. Usually in a tight championship year the teams involved are at a disadvantage. From what we have seen in the past I expect they will have a well developed car, just depends on if a double diffuser like development is on the cards.
I expect total domination.

We got an eyefull of the Max Vs Lewis we wanted and it wasn't much of a spectacle actually. One guy running the other guy off track and squabble bweteen toto and christian. Can do without that.

If not total domination I want like eight teams within a quarter second each other.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

siskue2005 wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 20:20
I am hearing rumours Lewis is gonna retire! I hope it's not true
At the moment Mercedes doesn't know if Lewis is going to come back. And I can't say that I blame Lewis if he does walk away from F1. At this point in his life, Lewis doesn't need F1, I'd say F1 needs Lewis more.
Last edited by taperoo2k on 16 Dec 2021, 20:32, edited 1 time in total.

El Scorchio

Spoutnik wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 20:10
El Scorchio wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

(More unexpected) Grosjean ? Vandoorne ? Alonso (Piastri to replace him) ? Or in a desperate situation Stroll ?...
I think they'd want someone who has been immersed in the sport recently and with a bit of experience, so it might rule out Vandoorne and I just can't see Grosjean (can you imagine?!) although it would be a nice story. Alonso is a definite possibility and you know he'd jump there at the drop of a hat. I did think Stroll as well, but I do wonder if he's the right stuff, although I am sure Sr would move heaven and earth to get him in there! It's a much harder choice seen as they don't know exactly what they have in Russell. If they KNOW he's that good, then they probably aren't as worried, but if they are not sure then it's a big choice. Love the idea of Alonso but I reckon I'd bet the farm on Ricciardo if forced to.

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

nacho
nacho

I don't think Hamilton will retire, but if he did I guess they'd run de Vries or Vandoorne.

Big Tea

Spoutnik wrote:
16 Dec 2021, 20:10
El Scorchio wrote:
Big Tea wrote:

I grimaced at Stroll until I thought about it. He does seem amicable, he has experience with Mercedes via the engine, and yes, I think they would make a good team. Either of the Ferrari drivers or Norris would be good, but I think they are tied into contracts it would be hard to get out of. I suspect FT would allow Gasly to go to one of the top teams with pleasure as there are a few drivers he would like to get.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.