Aston Martin AMR22

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
NAPI10
NAPI10

Re: Aston Martin AMR22

It seems AM got a few upgrades this weekend to arrest porpoising-
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/asto ... /10117471/

NAPI10
NAPI10

These upgrades looks promising; car has performed better than last three races.

jagunx51

............!!!!

NAPI10
NAPI10

Upgrades seem working well ....AM was porposing much lesser compared to other cars around.

Ashwinv16

ASTON MARTIN Problem is that their floor concept heavily contradicts their sidepods design.
Sidepods are pretty much a low drag concept like the Alpha Romeo
But the floor is desinged to seal the sides with a strong outwash as you can see from the strakes
That is a recipe for Porpoising cause the flow characteristicts over the car is very different to the floor under the car. They need to redo the entire floor by pulling the strakes longer and rear wards. It's like the Sidepods are simialar to Alfa Romeo and RB and the Floor is more like Merecedes and Ferrari.
Halo not as bad as we thought

collindsilva
collindsilva

How feasible is it to change the floor, if they are aware of the issue, the new floor should have been ready by now.

Ashwinv16

Ashwinv16 wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 09:55
ASTON MARTIN Problem is that their floor concept heavily contradicts their sidepods design.
Sidepods are pretty much a low drag concept like the Alpha Romeo
https://i.imgur.com/zwVdOBZ.jpg
But the floor is desinged to seal the sides with a strong outwash as you can see from the strakes
https://i.imgur.com/BQdFC8G.jpeg
That is a recipe for Porpoising cause the flow characteristicts over the car is very different to the floor under the car. They need to redo the entire floor by pulling the strakes longer and rear wards. It's like the Sidepods are simialar to Alfa Romeo and RB and the Floor is more like Merecedes and Ferrari.
collindsilva wrote:
28 Apr 2022, 12:01
How feasible is it to change the floor, if they are aware of the issue, the new floor should have been ready by now.
Yeah it should have. They are now also the heaviest car on the grid after Rb ahs gone ona weight diet but Miami or Spain could be a huge turning point for Aston Martin (And Mercedes)
Halo not as bad as we thought

AB_de_Vettel
AB_de_Vettel

Mike Krack wrote:“We have three main points that we are working on,” Krack said.

“One is aero, the most important one. Second one is car weight, very important as well. And the third one is how we can provide better feedback to our drivers.

“That goes into the suspension, it goes into steering and these kinds of things, the whole set-up of the car.
https://the-race.com/formula-1/the-thre ... ts-car-in/
Explains the multitude of crashes in Australia to an extent. Wonder what issue they'll target first.
Keeping the past alive and building the future are one and the same thing

f1316
f1316

Cross-posting from another thread:
Vanja #66 wrote:
29 Apr 2022, 20:54
Wide and outwashing sidepods seem like the only way to go...
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-as ... /10264973/

This not only seems like another data point to indicate Vanja’s suggestion but also makes me wonder if anything resembling a double floor is something that just doesn’t work outside the wind tunnel. I’d call this the 3rd time someone has tried this in earnest - Ferrari in 92, Torro Rosso and now Aston Martin - and while all must have looked worthwhile on paper/in the wind tunnel (or they wouldn’t have pursued it) all were ultimately disappointing.

Yes “correlation doesn’t equal causation” but there does seem to be a certain amount of, let’s call it “circumstantial evidence”, to indicate that the double floor is ultimately…flawed (no pun initially intended :lol: )

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

2 Different Specs of Front Wings for the AMR22 in Miami:

Via: AMUS

collindsilva
collindsilva

Any news on the updates, AMR stated they would bring updates to every race...

NAPI10
NAPI10

AM is just lucky in quali or they have taken a step forward? Any news of upgrades?

raymondu999

f1316 wrote:
03 May 2022, 01:22
Cross-posting from another thread:
Vanja #66 wrote:
29 Apr 2022, 20:54
Wide and outwashing sidepods seem like the only way to go...
https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-as ... /10264973/

This not only seems like another data point to indicate Vanja’s suggestion but also makes me wonder if anything resembling a double floor is something that just doesn’t work outside the wind tunnel. I’d call this the 3rd time someone has tried this in earnest - Ferrari in 92, Torro Rosso and now Aston Martin - and while all must have looked worthwhile on paper/in the wind tunnel (or they wouldn’t have pursued it) all were ultimately disappointing.

Yes “correlation doesn’t equal causation” but there does seem to be a certain amount of, let’s call it “circumstantial evidence”, to indicate that the double floor is ultimately…flawed (no pun initially intended :lol: )
Yes I agree. I pondered upon yhe same question somewhere else I forget but while the straight-through flow looks good in theory there must be something that is not as strong about the concept fundamentally. For example Newey once mentioned the double boundary layer drag — since obviously the double floor has 3 surfaces rather than 1 or 2.

No double floor car has ever won a championship — nor has a reigning wcc ever decided upon a double floor, for whatever readon
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Stu

The Alfa seems to utilise the concept pretty well. How much extra weight is the AM carrying compared with others? Maybe it has been on a bit of a diet recently.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

JordanMugen

An interesting thing from the Vettel-Schumacher Miami crash is seeing how there is almost a kind of "foam core" in the middle of the Aston Martin floor, almost like the sandwich construction of the monocoque or one of the wings. The foam sandwich must be necessary to get the desired rigidity? :?: