Adrian Newey Leaves Red Bull Racing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Chuckjr

Re: Adrian Newey Leaves Red Bull Racing

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 09:22
Chuckjr wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 09:13
Adrian getting part ownership is a really, really good beginning. It shows he is 100% committed and has a vested interest to bring success to the team. It’s personal now. He’s waited for this since Williams, and won’t tolerate anything less than P1. All signs show he is determined to bring Aston Newey to the sharp end. It’s a very, very exciting development, and we are fortunate as fans to see this unfold. This just may lead to Fred taking a third title (and maybe a fourth) at an age that defies all logic and human biology. The new motivation both Adrian and Fred will have from this point forward will be incredible.
There is no question he’s a great designer but don’t overestimate his powers either. He’s also designed a few duds. Over a career though he belongs to a very small pantheon of greats.

What I’m reluctant about is: AM is so far back so any improvement in the short term is credit that will only be given to AN as “it must be his work”. In reality that wont be the case. IMHO you can only ascribe anything to Newey from ‘26 on. And I’m sure that’s where the focus will be.

The only thing that MAY happen in the short term is, if there is an OBVIOUS flaw with AMs current concept that someone with vast experience can point out but I think that’s highly debatable
Sorry for my delay in response, mate.

You make good points. Thank you.

I certainly understand Aston Newey winning is not automatic. I’m just convinced the man can deliver. He could be a flop yea, but his record claims it likely will be otherwise. I heard somewhere in all this that cars he’s been involved with have won something like 25% of F1 races since he joined F1.

What I find very exciting is it will help resolve the argument I’ve read here at F1 Tech countless times between those that think Newey is just a cog in the wheel of the aero dept, and those who consider him the wheel upon which the aero team revolves. Should Aston not really do much, then it’s more likely the former. Should they become championship contenders and maybe taking the crown in 26 or maybe 27, well, pretty obviously the latter. Imo, the results that have followed him have been too consistent to be coincidence, and it will end up being the latter.

The fourth championship idea comes from the thought that Aston would not fire Alonso if he takes the championship or contends till the last race in 2026. My thought is that Fred would not walk away from a championship contending/winning car, and Aston won’t fire a legend who almost took or took the crown. This will boost Aston big time. That Stroll is one shrewd businessman.

Anyway, a lot must happen between here and 2026. Aston has assembled a great team and exceptional tools, and I’m certainly more excited about 25 and 26 than ever with this development. It will be a dream come true seeing these two legends, Newey and Alonso, paired together. Bueno.
Watching F1 since 1986.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Chuckjr wrote:
18 Sep 2024, 07:18
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 09:22
Chuckjr wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 09:13
Adrian getting part ownership is a really, really good beginning. It shows he is 100% committed and has a vested interest to bring success to the team. It’s personal now. He’s waited for this since Williams, and won’t tolerate anything less than P1. All signs show he is determined to bring Aston Newey to the sharp end. It’s a very, very exciting development, and we are fortunate as fans to see this unfold. This just may lead to Fred taking a third title (and maybe a fourth) at an age that defies all logic and human biology. The new motivation both Adrian and Fred will have from this point forward will be incredible.
There is no question he’s a great designer but don’t overestimate his powers either. He’s also designed a few duds. Over a career though he belongs to a very small pantheon of greats.

What I’m reluctant about is: AM is so far back so any improvement in the short term is credit that will only be given to AN as “it must be his work”. In reality that wont be the case. IMHO you can only ascribe anything to Newey from ‘26 on. And I’m sure that’s where the focus will be.

The only thing that MAY happen in the short term is, if there is an OBVIOUS flaw with AMs current concept that someone with vast experience can point out but I think that’s highly debatable
Sorry for my delay in response, mate.

You make good points. Thank you.

I certainly understand Aston Newey winning is not automatic. I’m just convinced the man can deliver. He could be a flop yea, but his record claims it likely will be otherwise. I heard somewhere in all this that cars he’s been involved with have won something like 25% of F1 races since he joined F1.

What I find very exciting is it will help resolve the argument I’ve read here at F1 Tech countless times between those that think Newey is just a cog in the wheel of the aero dept, and those who consider him the wheel upon which the aero team revolves. Should Aston not really do much, then it’s more likely the former. Should they become championship contenders and maybe taking the crown in 26 or maybe 27, well, pretty obviously the latter. Imo, the results that have followed him have been too consistent to be coincidence, and it will end up being the latter.

The fourth championship idea comes from the thought that Aston would not fire Alonso if he takes the championship or contends till the last race in 2026. My thought is that Fred would not walk away from a championship contending/winning car, and Aston won’t fire a legend who almost took or took the crown. This will boost Aston big time. That Stroll is one shrewd businessman.

Anyway, a lot must happen between here and 2026. Aston has assembled a great team and exceptional tools, and I’m certainly more excited about 25 and 26 than ever with this development. It will be a dream come true seeing these two legends, Newey and Alonso, paired together. Bueno.
Not much to disagree with. Sadly I can’t see it with Fred. If AMs fortunes turn around I can see Stroll getting VER. Like you said, he’s ruthless.

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

Is his share in AMR or the whole Aston Martin company including road cars too??
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.