2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mzso
mzso

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Spoutnik wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 22:12
Peter Ian Staker wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 21:58
Spoutnik wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 21:47

I think Norris was really young, and without DNF/reliability he was a bit ahead second year. Carlos is good in midfield (goodstarter, reliable when no pressure) so imo its like 2021 against Charles + Norris was young. For me Norris is the real deal behind the usual superstar.

If Max can't come and Charles leaves. I would take Lewis for two years, I always felt he could do something at Maranello
Lewis would last a year maximum at Ferrari before he decided to retire.
This team is too much for everyone bar Verstappen then
It's "too much" for everyone, Ferrari is where carriers go to die... But Verstappen has the good instincts to stay clear...

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

In many ways, it feels like the transition from the launch spec SF75 to SF23 is like the transition from the SF71H to the SF90. I'm not convinced that Ferrari needed to chase aero efficiency as hard as they did. We can see that Red Bull actually went towards the SF75H characteristic wise.

I think they will be better served just slapping bigger wings on the car and using the PU to compensate since they seem to have a touch more power than the others.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 05 Mar 2023, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.

aleks_ader

Juzh wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 22:28
mendis wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 19:09
What kind of f****g testing they do in winter testing where they pile on laps after laps and then they come to a race, within 30 laps the engine breaks down. Why do they even need testing?
Maybe they sandbagged too much, tried to hide their performance and as a result some problems didn't materialise until really being to the limits. Seems like a stretch, but perhaps..
Its just QC problem. Italians and eletronics :-({|=
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

ferkan
ferkan

Jesus Christ, after all we went through after 2019, now this...First race of the season and already done and dusted.

Thank God Mattia is out, couldn't stand to look into his interviews after another debacle.
LM10 wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 22:14
This sums it up perfectly. The outcry on here is unbearable.

Everyone knew (or should have known, if they had paid attention) that the car is not ready yet and that they went for a compromized setup. The team has told that numerous times - it was readable between the lines. On top of the fact that they have not found an optimal setup, they were not able to use the rear wing they were planning to use.
Such big is the overall modification the car went through. Testing was not enough obviously.

The SF-23 with the skinniest rear wing and beam wing combination and an issue on the front end (which they will solve in the next few races) was the fastest car in certain corners. Leclerc was only a tenth slower than the fastest driver in S2 who was Max in the RB19 which is sorted out completely and working in it's optimal window.

It was the first race of the longest season in F1 ever and people are writing off everything already. Just ridiculous.
Car not ready, yet they have been preparing for this since May last year. Car not ready, yet Vigna promised "unprecedented" speed. 15 seasons without WDC and counting...
AR3-GP wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 22:58
In many ways, it feels like the transition from the launch spec SF75 to SF23 is like the transition from the SF71H to the SF90. I'm not convinced that Ferrari needed to chase aero efficiency as hard as they did. We can see that Red Bull actually went towards the SF75H characteristic wise.

I think they will be better served just slapping bigger wings on the car and using the PU to compensate since they seem to have a touch more power than the others.
They cant compensate anything, they are at most 5-10hp ahead on engine performance (if that). They are all relatively close, might just be that the concept that everyone is converging towards is the actually one to go.

Vanja #66

AR3-GP wrote:
We can see that Red Bull actually went towards the SF75H characteristic wise.
I'm not seeing that, they just refined everything about equally. :) Those two cars are at about the same level on both downforce and drag, RB just had a bit more of both this weekend, which was alwqys gonna be a better setup and Ferrari knew that.

I honestly didn't think Ferrari would be able to cut the drag deficit this much. They will need to work even harder to get a better result in Jeddah, but it will be closer than Bahrain.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

You watch the doom mongers change their tune when next race they are splitting the bulls and “these mega problems” are all sorted. Way of the world these days. No middle ground. Either extreme left or extreme right. Where is the bloody balance

Vanja #66

Italian media aren't helping one bit also...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

organic

Vanja #66 wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 23:25
AR3-GP wrote:
We can see that Red Bull actually went towards the SF75H characteristic wise.
I'm not seeing that, they just refined everything about equally. :) Those two cars are at about the same level on both downforce and drag, RB just had a bit more of both this weekend, which was alwqys gonna be a better setup and Ferrari knew that.

I honestly didn't think Ferrari would be able to cut the drag deficit this much. They will need to work even harder to get a better result in Jeddah, but it will be closer than Bahrain.
Rb's traction is much better than last season isn't it?

organic

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 23:37
You watch the doom mongers change their tune when next race they are splitting the bulls and “these mega problems” are all sorted. Way of the world these days. No middle ground. Either extreme left or extreme right. Where is the bloody balance
Saudi is a high-speed circuit with few if no low-speed corners. Even an extremely overweight Rb18 won there on aero efficiency despite lacking a great deal of traction & high-speed cornering performance. The degradation is also relatively low because the surface is essentially perfect & high grip.

Most of jeddah characteristics will favour the SF23 relative to the average track on the calendar, so I expect there will be significant performance swing between Bahrain and Jeddah

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 23:41
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
Saudi is a high-speed circuit with few if no low-speed corners. Even an extremely overweight Rb18 won there on aero efficiency despite lacking a great deal of traction & high-speed cornering performance. The degradation is also relatively low because the surface is essentially perfect & high grip.

Most of jeddah characteristics will favour the SF23 relative to the average track on the calendar, so I expect there will be significant performance swing between Bahrain and Jeddah
It really depends on what rear wing RB show up with. If it's the one they ran in Bahrain, then I don't think that's going to cut it vs Ferrari.

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 23:53
organic wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 23:41
101FlyingDutchman wrote:

It really depends on what rear wing RB show up with. If it's the one they ran in Bahrain, then I don't think that's going to cut it vs Ferrari.
they used the spa rear wing at Jeddah last year and this year they will have more underbody downforce, so I expect the same wing again
Last edited by organic on 06 Mar 2023, 00:07, edited 1 time in total.

Schippke
Schippke

After this race:

Leclerc - Pain
Sainz - sPain

I was hoping we'd be a bit closer to Red Bull in this one (wasn't expecting to win by any means), but that was a walk in the park for them. The reliability issues are definitely the concern now moving forward... to have them this early on.

Hope we can claw back some performance in Saudi Arabia... but still cannot see anybody other than Red Bull finishing 1,2 there... or indeed by season's end. The regulations with resource restrictions and cost cap make it very hard to catch-up... and Red Bull's advantage isn't just going to be at Bahrain.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Schippke wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 00:04
After this race:

Leclerc - Pain
Sainz - sPain

I was hoping we'd be a bit closer to Red Bull in this one (wasn't expecting to win by any means), but that was a walk in the park for them. The reliability issues are definitely the concern now moving forward... to have them this early on.

Hope we can claw back some performance in Saudi Arabia... but still cannot see anybody other than Red Bull finishing 1,2 there... or indeed by season's end. The regulations with resource restrictions and cost cap make it very hard to catch-up... and Red Bull's advantage isn't just going to be at Bahrain.
What difference does it make if the cap is 150 million or 500 million. The 3 big teams would still spend the same amount relative to one another so it's not like Ferrari was going to outspend Mercedes and RB to overhaul a deficit.

The cap just made it possible for more than RB/Ferrar/Merc to be competitive. Look at Aston!

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

God the hyperbole here is unbearable. It’s race 1 and I’m already drama-fatigued.

Obviously a horrendous result for Ferrari - but, there are a few buts.

1) at least with Charles, they were comfortably the second fastest car - even with this horrendous tyre deg. Given people like George Russel are saying they expect redbull to win EVERY race this season, and Fernando (I think?) saying they’re on another planet - to be the next-best ain’t so bad.

2) this is all in the context of KNOWN issues coming into this race. They were compromised, and knew it, and even (for once) acted accordingly by saving a set of new softs for the race.

3) this track is in some ways a ‘minority’ on the modern F1 calendar. We saw this last year with redbull having the lower-drag concept and everyone reaming Ferrari for being too slow in a straight line. Tracks like Jeddah should, hopefully, see Ferrari fare better.

4) redbull started the season last year with a double DNF and won both championships convincingly. This is a long season.

5) the team are saying all the right things. Word on the street is the issues with the car are understood and being solved quite quickly. Once there is more DF at the front, a better balance should be achievable and this will have flow on effects to everything - from driver confidence to min apex speed to tyre wear.

Obviously the reliability issue is concerning. Mixed views on twitter as to whether it was the ICE or an electrical issue - anyone know for sure?

Peter Ian Staker
Peter Ian Staker

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
Why do you guys keep doing this to yourselves?
Splitting the bulls? Try and beat Aston first.