2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
codetower

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

RacePaceDemon wrote:
11 Jul 2024, 15:31
codetower wrote:
11 Jul 2024, 15:07
wickedz50 wrote:
11 Jul 2024, 14:01

Will Binotto be able to work under FV's leadership? Binotto had problems earlier when MA was the team principal. The problem does not get solved here so easily. A good TD will need support from every areas, its like a symphony and its a team effort. One person cannot bring the change overnite. I hope FV has build that platform in the last 2 years to bring in the TD who can then get the final orchestra play the way it is melodious. It needs lot of dedication, discipline and commitment. Also immense patience is needed to bring the change where failures are stepping stones for success and not getting fired. When they have this culture then I am sure they will be back.
I never disliked Binotto. I disliked his results. Bringing him back as a TD will never happen, but I wouldn't be opposed to it. I don't think he was the comfortable as the TP to be honest so if he ever would come back, I think he'd be fine working under Fred as long as there is mutual respect.

If there is one positive thing I would say about Binotto, he wasn't afraid to test the grey areas. Sure, it didn't always work, but he was pushing. Look at McLaren with the flexwing, RB with the flexing rear wings a couple of years ago, Mercedes with DAS, their front wing design, etc. I think in this sport if you aren't testing the limits, you wont get ahead.
In 2019 he was responsible for the use of an illegal engine and when busted, Ferrari were no where for 2 years.

In 2022, the Ferrari was a good car, for a while. But reliability, strategic blunders and zero accountability meant they won only a few races.

After the summer break, the clown claimed they could win all the remaining races, they won none. He also claimed that all development resources were put to next years car. Even after they would likely need to change concept after TD39.

After the season in 2022 Binotto was fired.

In 2023, after much hype from the press. The SF23 which Binotto and his team were responsible for was 1 second off in race pace.

Does this sound like the sort of individual you want running a technical team?
Ahhh 2019... That win in Monza was incredible...

Yeah there were some rough years, but 2022 wasn't the worst year we had. Charles ended the year with a string of podiums and we were 2nd in the WCC. I'm not saying he's the savior and not even saying he SHOULD come back. I just think he gets a lot of unfair criticism.

Where are we now? Binotto's gone, a bunch of his guys are gone, and what? We are now the 4th fastest car, our development team seem lost, it seems we are having more knee-jerk reactions to moments. I'm not convinced we are in a better spot.

deadhead

If some of this is true it’s sounding like the SF24 doesn’t allow for much in terms of in season development so they are once again going with a different concept for 2025 instead of building on what they currently have:

https://it.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-fe ... /10633770/

codetower

deadhead wrote:
11 Jul 2024, 16:05
If some of this is true it’s sounding like the SF24 doesn’t allow for much in terms of in season development so they are once again going with a different concept for 2025 instead of building on what they currently have:

For me, the curiosity of all those "Lewis' car" rumors is that if true, Ferrari again will be basically telling Charles he has to adapt to a Machine that is not all to HIS liking... basically for someone (Lewis) who will come in for a couple of years maximum.

Another piece in that article is that Ferrari will revert back to the NEW spec in Hungary, but then Back to the OLD spec at Spa. Are they still building spare parts for both specs? Seems costly.

dialtone
dialtone

codetower wrote:
11 Jul 2024, 17:28
deadhead wrote:

For me, the curiosity of all those "Lewis' car" rumors is that if true, Ferrari again will be basically telling Charles he has to adapt to a Machine that is not all to HIS liking... basically for someone (Lewis) who will come in for a couple of years maximum.
If Ferrari was capable of building a car for the specific needs of a driver they have never had driving one of their cars, they would never have update issues.
Another piece in that article is that Ferrari will revert back to the NEW spec in Hungary, but then Back to the OLD spec at Spa. Are they still building spare parts for both specs? Seems costly.
They have to do it this way. The update works and they need to learn why they are having issues with it and fix them, abandoning the update means they learn nothing, on top of it, if that's the best development path they could think of there may be no alternative.

codetower

dialtone wrote:
11 Jul 2024, 17:59
codetower wrote:
deadhead wrote:

If Ferrari was capable of building a car for the specific needs of a driver they have never had driving one of their cars, they would never have update issues.
They have to do it this way. The update works and they need to learn why they are having issues with it and fix them, abandoning the update means they learn nothing, on top of it, if that's the best development path they could think of there may be no alternative.
I"m not a car developer so I wont pretend to know how these things are done, but all I hear is how car development can follow a certain drivers "style". Didn't Carlos's camp say that this car will be more suited towards his driving style? And didn't Mercedes move the cockpit forward a little to suit Lewis style? I would imagine if Verstappen prefers a stiffer rear suspension that RB would develop with a goal more towards a stiffer rear. Again, not trying to argue, just trying to understand what all the talk about "building a car to suit Lewis" means.

Regarding the updates, I agree that they need/should keep the new upgrades, I was wondering why they would go back to the old spec at a track where the data for the new spec would absolutely help them fixing the issues. Is it just lack of time to try anything out on that track? If they aren't developing for the old spec anymore, then I say keep pushing with the new one. I doubt they'll end up higher than P6 with the old spec at Spa, so I would keep testing/developing the new spec.

jambuka
jambuka

Seems like a technical failure. They chose this 24 concept because they felt it can be developed a lot. Now they are again changing their concert in the last year of regulations ?

FDD
FDD

deadhead wrote:

Franco Nugnes, he was working for a decades in F1 mainly as a chief designer, as 99,99% of the journalists.
They can easy make Ferrari to win both titles but they do not have challenge for that kind of simplicity.
But it is very good for Gestione Sportiva to read texts from all the journalists to find the real solution for suspension kinematics, aero approach...
BTW Ferrari run in ENG different aero packages with same suspension for the two cars and they found substantial differences, guess what, the main cause was the suspension!!!!!
They must go with pull rod front, when will they understand that simple fact??? :D :D :D

MattLightBlue
MattLightBlue

FDD wrote:
11 Jul 2024, 21:47
deadhead wrote:

Franco Nugnes, he was working for a decades in F1 mainly as a chief designer, as 99,99% of the journalists.
They can easy make Ferrari to win both titles but they do not have challenge for that kind of simplicity.
But it is very good for Gestione Sportiva to read texts from all the journalists to find the real solution for suspension kinematics, aero approach...
BTW Ferrari run in ENG different aero packages with same suspension for the two cars and they found substantial differences, guess what, the main cause was the suspension!!!!!
They must go with pull rod front, when will they understand that simple fact??? :D :D :D
I know that we do not have a lot of sources and we have to comment on what is out there, but this article is full of sh**. All the people that write about F1, they don’t want to understand that a car is much more than a suspension layout and a flexible front wing.

K1Plus
K1Plus

FDD wrote:
11 Jul 2024, 21:47
deadhead wrote:

Or a double push rod? I mean Mercedes is now nicely planted look at that.

Emag
Emag

Just out of curiosity and I am sorry if I missed something. Is it actually confirmed the suspension is the biggest limiting factor here, or is this just media speculation?

Xyz22
Xyz22

Emag wrote:
12 Jul 2024, 09:57
Just out of curiosity and I am sorry if I missed something. Is it actually confirmed the suspension is the biggest limiting factor here, or is this just media speculation?
Media speculation

RacePaceDemon

Emag wrote:
12 Jul 2024, 09:57
I'm not an expert but I would argue suspension is a factor. In my opinion the porpoising comes from the suspension not being able to handle the increased downforce from the upgrades. We see that McLaren, Mercedes and especially red bull can add a lot of load without triggering it. And after Mercedes modified their suspension they were able to cure the bouncing and make the car more drive able.

I think Ferrari have the opposite problem to red bull, the suspension is too soft. This pays dividends at street tracks like Monaco but not more traditional tracks. Red bull have the complete opposite problem. McLaren seem to have a made a breakthrough where they have a soft front suspension and still have good efficiency at traditional circuits. This could be due to a front wing flexing trick, suspension trick or just a generally good all rounder with no tricks.
"Insert pseudo-intellectual quote so people on the car threads take me seriously ;)"

f1316
f1316

dialtone wrote:
11 Jul 2024, 17:59
codetower wrote:
deadhead wrote:

My understanding is that they don’t expect the bouncing to be as much of an issue in Hungary and given the new package is better in slow corners, it will be more of an advantage there. What I’ve read is that for Spa they hope to have modifications that will make the new package work without bouncing.

deadhead

codetower wrote:
deadhead wrote:

LEC is extremely loyal to Ferrari but I think there are finally some doubts looming around that unconditional loyalty.

deadhead

https://lastwordonsports.com/motorsport ... -upgrades/

Thoughts ?

jambuka wrote:
11 Jul 2024, 19:27
Seems like a technical failure. They chose this 24 concept because they felt it can be developed a lot. Now they are again changing their concert in the last year of regulations ?
Proving that having a fast car out of the box doesn’t mean much.