2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Re: 2017 Mclaren F1 Team - Honda

techman wrote:
24 Nov 2017, 15:40
You assume Brundle came to those figures based off speed trap numbers, when it's very likely it's come from talking to engineers from the pitlane.
looks like you havent watch much F1. if you remember mclaren engineeers said the same thing about wining the 2013 and 14 season with mercedes and having a great chassis before the season started. but what happened?, they were the slowest of all the mercedes runners and had the slowest top speed of all mercedes runners. just shows what drag can do to an overall performance of the car
Why are you assuming the info came from McLaren? At no point did Brundle make that connection he was just talking about relative ICE outputs.

Xero

Restomaniac wrote:
24 Nov 2017, 15:27
Xero wrote:
24 Nov 2017, 15:20
techman wrote:
24 Nov 2017, 13:17
shows how much lies commentators can spread, they dont even into consideration drag levels of mclaren compared to redbull. just spreading rumours just because the some people at mclaren boast about their chassis. funny. i wonder what they will say when mclaren is slower to a redbull in 2018
What does drag have to do with power output of a power unit? You assume Brundle came to those figures based off speed trap numbers, when it's very likely it's come from talking to engineers from the pitlane. That information is shared more freely in the paddock than you'd think. The drag comparison argument is growing old very quickly! It's irrelevant to next year.
You know what? I'm preying McLaren are sat up Red Bulls gearbox and I'm It's not a McLaren fan at all.
Same here mate, although I am a Mclaren fan. :lol:

techman
techman

Why are you assuming the info came from McLaren? At no point did Brundle make that connection he was just talking about relative ICE outputs.
what iam trying point out is , you cant 100 percent believe whats coming from a mclaren engineer,is true like i pointed out in 2013 and 14 mclaren mercdes time. and unfortunately media people will take sides and its no suprise bundle took sides of the british teams view of thing because he is biased

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

techman wrote:
24 Nov 2017, 16:04
what iam trying point out is , you cant 100 percent believe whats coming from a mclaren engineer,is true like i pointed out in 2013 and 14 mclaren mercdes time. and unfortunately media people will take sides and its no suprise bundle took sides of the british teams view of thing because he is biased
Give over. He spends most of his days sat up Ferrari's bottom.

Also again there was no pro team spin anyway. None of Mercedes, Ferrari, Renault or Honda are British either.

You seem that desperate to dismiss this info that you are seeing something that isn't there.
Last edited by Restomaniac on 24 Nov 2017, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.

McHonda
McHonda

techman wrote:
24 Nov 2017, 16:04
And again, no-one said the info came from McLaren.

And 2013-14 and the reasons for being below par have nothing to do with next year. And none of them impact the 2018 car. They aren't changing concept and already have the technical requirements from Renault and they are using the same fuel as Renault do.

stevesingo
stevesingo

Using Brundle's figures (assumed to be qualifying) and speed trap data from qualifying in Austin (Used for the decent length of straight and close to sea level), and assuming the Honda has 900hp here are some respective drag delta estimates.

Merc(HAM@327.1kph) vs McLaren (VAN@314.8kph) = McLaren +3.6% drag

RBR (VER@322.8kph) vs McLaren (VAN@314.8kph) = McLaren +1.6% drag

If the figures are for race mapping, the difference may change, bringing the Merc drag closer to the others. But, without going through the F1 App data and looking for some top speeds in clean air, it would be just guessing.

NathanOlder

I see Lando qualified 14th out of 20 in his first run in a Formula 2 car. Just 3tenths behind his team mate who has been in the car all year. He was2 seconds off the fastest in Practice. And 1.3 seconds off the fastest in Qualy.

Should be improving all weekend.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

proteus

techman wrote:
You assume Brundle came to those figures based off speed trap numbers, when it's very likely it's come from talking to engineers from the pitlane.
looks like you havent watch much F1. if you remember mclaren engineeers said the same thing about wining the 2013 and 14 season with mercedes and having a great chassis before the season started. but what happened?, they were the slowest of all the mercedes runners and had the slowest top speed of all mercedes runners. just shows what drag can do to an overall performance of the car
Wrong and wrong again. They were one of fastest on straight lines, and overall werent last in terms of Mercedes power since they were infront of FI both times. Everybody knows 2013 chasis was a failure,they admited that right from the start of testing. 2014 car had problems with tyre warmup, - yes their mistake once again and they admited it. But both times the car was monster in terms of pure speed on straights. Honda however failed to produce a powerfull engine, i dare to bet that if Sauber would have it in their car they would have a serious challenge to be inside 107%. Honda themself admiting JET AGAIN they are behind Renault - STILL. However youre turning it, youre precious Honda failed to deliver. Deal with it, its a fact.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

proteus

diffuser wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 19:20
proteus wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 18:09
Squid wrote:
23 Nov 2017, 17:31

Interesting that he says that, because in Mexico Honda managed to deal much better with the thinner air and greater cooling requirements, while Renault engines were overheating and blowing up all along the track.
Well, Honda units were fresh if im not mistaken, and Honda has changed almost double the amount of each components trough the season than the most stricken team/driver with Renault engine.
I forget where I read it but they said that Honda did something different in Mexico. Instead of spinning the turbos faster to make up for the thinner air they used the mgu-k. I think they used the regenerative braking to spin up the turbo out of the corners not sure(didn't quit make sense to me)... Anyways that's why they didn't overheat the MGU-H, they just didn't work it harder. kudos to Honda for finding a great solution for that.
Renault will be happy to use it if it comes handy to them.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Andres125sx

diffuser wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 13:08
techman wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 10:28
mclaren running heavy drag. anyone want to bet that redbull top speed in a renault will be better than mclaren renault in 2018.? mclaren cant hide anymore in 2018. i hope mclaren keep that high rake for 2018.
This recording has been brought to you by techman!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Xero

techman wrote:
Again with the drag, it has nothing to do with Brundle's comments. And nor did I suggest it would come from McLaren engineers, infact, I'd expect McLaren would be one of the last teams to give out info like that. He's a good close friend of Newey, I'd start there.

I haven't watched much F1? Don't think I've missed more than 3 races since the 1996 season, but that's irrelevant. :lol:

techman
techman

i wonder why the renault f1 team on most occassions have about 5 km/h top speed lacking to redbull on straights. for those of you who thinks drag has noting to do with how competitive the car is. not only redbull is the quickest renault on straight , its also producing efficient downforce. next year will be a good comparision. we will find out how much hiding mclaren were doing with honda

mclaren111

Pitpass:
McLaren's refusal to support rival teams means that the controversial shark fins that have adorned cars this year will be outlawed next season.
Crashnet:
McLaren’s executive director Zak Brown says the veto was made for commercial reasons, to give more visibility to the rear wing which he hinted will hold a new major sponsor for the Woking-based team, but Horner is keen to change the decision.

Great News !!!! :D :D :D

stevesingo
stevesingo

techman wrote:
25 Nov 2017, 07:52
i wonder why the renault f1 team on most occassions have about 5 km/h top speed lacking to redbull on straights. for those of you who thinks drag has noting to do with how competitive the car is. not only redbull is the quickest renault on straight , its also producing efficient downforce. next year will be a good comparision. we will find out how much hiding mclaren were doing with honda
No one is saying drag has nothing to do with performance, you are arguing with your self, like some kind of echo chamber. You never respond to the counter points of others, you just rinse and repeat.

The issue that most have is your assertion that the Honda PU is competitive with the Renault PU and it is the excessive drag of the McLaren chassis which is responsible for the poor top speeds. Brundle's statement is not AIUI a result of some calcs based on drag. They are figures which have been spoken of in the pit lane and as such can be used to verify the drag of the cars.

The formula I have for calculating power from speed and drag can be transposed to calculate drag from power and speed. in Austin, the McLaren had approx 1.5% more drag than the RedBull. Interestingly, 3.5% more than the Merc, so the Merc had less drag than the RB.

Alonso Fan

stevesingo wrote:
25 Nov 2017, 12:56
techman wrote:
25 Nov 2017, 07:52
No one is saying drag has nothing to do with performance, you are arguing with your self, like some kind of echo chamber. You never respond to the counter points of others, you just rinse and repeat.

The issue that most have is your assertion that the Honda PU is competitive with the Renault PU and it is the excessive drag of the McLaren chassis which is responsible for the poor top speeds. Brundle's statement is not AIUI a result of some calcs based on drag. They are figures which have been spoken of in the pit lane and as such can be used to verify the drag of the cars.

The formula I have for calculating power from speed and drag can be transposed to calculate drag from power and speed. in Austin, the McLaren had approx 1.5% more drag than the RedBull. Interestingly, 3.5% more than the Merc, so the Merc had less drag than the RB.
Let it go man, it's no use with some people.

I've decided to let it go because all we keep doing is responding to the same broken recording and end up with 10 more identical pages on this thread
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa